• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney+

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User

prototype00

Validated User
I’m looking forwards to the Loki Series if nothing else. I wonder what (if anything) they’ll riff off? Agent of Asgard? The Gillen Journey into Mystery run (don’t! My heart couldn’t take it a second time!)?

Last edited:

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
On the Star Wars side besides The Mandalorian there is going to be a Cassian Andor series, obviously set before Rogue One.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I’m a lot less burnt out than you, but real talk I’m feeling the same. If they throw in all the Classic Disney stuff, or even just a large fraction, they’ll have my attention. If this is just gonna be the typical Disney-Pixar-Marvel superset that I already own most of, though, I’m probably not gonna go in until it’s binge-time on a handful of shows.

...that said if they bring back all the 90s-ass shows I am in.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I’m a lot less burnt out than you, but real talk I’m feeling the same. If they throw in all the Classic Disney stuff, or even just a large fraction, they’ll have my attention. If this is just gonna be the typical Disney-Pixar-Marvel superset that I already own most of, though, I’m probably not gonna go in until it’s binge-time on a handful of shows.

...that said if they bring back all the 90s-ass shows I am in.
Its the films I'm interested in. I think more and more I'm getting less enamoured by series. And i think Netflix and its distribution strategy is part of that. I think binge culture has kind of damaged my ability to get into shows.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Its the films I'm interested in. I think more and more I'm getting less enamoured by series. And i think Netflix and its distribution strategy is part of that. I think binge culture has kind of damaged my ability to get into shows.
This is entirely fair. It’s not even that I’m not interested in the films...

It’s just, you know, I was raised right when all the big ones were on VHS, and then my sister was raised when they were coming out on DVD. So short of getting some particularly beloved classics in hi-def, I’m not exactly shy on ways to watch them.

Whereas something like The Weekenders or Filmore, for two examples, I haven’t had solid access to in well over a decade.

King Snarf

Validated User
Years ago, mid-2000s on the Disney Channel, they'd run "Vault Disney" in the middle of the night. They'd run the old shows like Davy Crockett, Gallagher!, Gallagher Goes West!, John Slaughter, Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox (starring Leslie Nielsen!), and others. That was great shit. I'd have hoped that this service would include all of that.

Trilobite

This space intentionally left blank.
Validated User
I wonder what it is that determines what companies like Disney (or CBS, etc.) with huge vaults of old programming available to them will actually put up on a streaming service?

I've been assuming that it's mainly some kind of financial decision -- either the costs involved with transferring/remastering old shows so that they'll look decent on streaming are too high for the perceived value of having them available, or the old shows pay "too much" in royalties to people/businesses other than the corporate mothership -- but I suppose there might be some kind of incomprehensible "branding" strategy at work, too. Like they want to be thought of as the place to go for hot new shows, not as the place to go when you want to wallow in mid-20th-century nostalgia, so they keep the past buried and offline.

Or maybe it's that too many old shows means the recommendation algorithm might put a few of them up on the main page instead of the hot new shows that are supposed to draw people into subscribing, which makes it harder for the execs responsible for creating hot new shows to convince their bosses that, yes, they should be given millions of dollars to make brand new all-streaming content. (I imagine they don't want to walk into a meeting and hear, "Well, the data show that most of our subscribers are just binge-watching Davy Crockett, so we don't believe that there's an audience for the thing you're pitching. Kindly fuck off now, we've got to get our lunch order in.")

Dulahan

Validated User
Any word on if this will also have stuff like the Disney XD series on it?

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
but I suppose there might be some kind of incomprehensible "branding" strategy at work, too. Like they want to be thought of as the place to go for hot new shows, not as the place to go when you want to wallow in mid-20th-century nostalgia, so they keep the past buried and offline.
I figure it has to do with Disney starting out in films long before there was television, and then getting into television long before collecting home video was a thing: The legacy became that theatrical works are always the "main" draw, and TV series are just disposable ways to boost attention to the brand.

Top Bottom