• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney+

mac40k

Validated User
The thing that has my eye is they've announced the combo of D+, ESPN+, and Hulu for $12.99, clearly a shot across Netflix's bow. I already have Hulu, but I pay the premium for no commercials. I care not for ESPN+, but if they have a similarly discounted bundle that includes the no ads version of Hulu, I'm going to be tempted to drop Netflix since they'll be losing all the Marvel and Star Wars content and there's not enough Netflix originals that I'm interested in to maintain it just for that.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
The thing that has my eye is they've announced the combo of D+, ESPN+, and Hulu for $12.99, clearly a shot across Netflix's bow. I already have Hulu, but I pay the premium for no commercials. I care not for ESPN+, but if they have a similarly discounted bundle that includes the no ads version of Hulu, I'm going to be tempted to drop Netflix since they'll be losing all the Marvel and Star Wars content and there's not enough Netflix originals that I'm interested in to maintain it just for that.
We'll see how long that price point lasts once Netflix is dead, but that's certainly worthwhile and I'll never touch ESPN.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Is there going to be a bundle with the ad-free Hulu?
This. I'm already getting ad-free Hulu, and I have almost no use for ESPN+ (if they have old episodes of Cheap Seats, I'll watch those). I don't want to pay a cent more for ESPN+ than I'd be paying for Disney+ and ad-free Hulu.

Dulahan

Validated User
Well, let's see.

My current streaming subscriptions are:
- Netflix
- Amazon
- Crunchyroll
- Funimation
- Hulu

... and that's in rough order of how much I use them. Amazon gets used more since I buy a lot of stuff off of Amazon and free shipping is nice. My daughter is a big fan of She-Ra / Hilda / Carmen Sandiego, so as long as Netflix continues to serve up fun adventure shows like that, I expect I'll keep on watching there. I think the only show I'm actively watching on Hulu right now is Flying Witch. :) That said, if the new Disney+ continues to be six bucks a month, I'll probably pick it up without getting rid of anything else, as I just got my cable internet bill dropped by $30/month with an upgrade to nicer service.
I thought most of the Funi stuff was also on Hulu now?

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
I thought most of the Funi stuff was also on Hulu now?
Checking the "current shows" on their website, it looks like:

Shared With Hulu
Arifureta
Demon Lord, Retry!
ASTRA LOST IN SPACE
Cop Craft
The Ones Within
Kochoki
BEM

Shared With Crunchroll
Fruits Basket
Fire Force
Dr. STONE
Demon Slayer
Black Clover
Fairy Tail
YU-NO
Do You Love Your Mom...
Lord El-Malloi II's Case Files
A Certain Scientific Accelerator
One Piece

Shared With Both
MIX

Not Shared With Either
Hensuki
How Heavy Are the Dumbells You Lift?
Ensemble Stars
Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-Sou

So actually more shared with Crunchy than Hulu, but the vast bulk of their new shows are shared with one or the other. Of the four that aren't shared, three seem to be ecchi shows, so one wonders if the problem was more about the other services not wanting them than Funi holding back...

But I'm not even gonna begin to compare back catalogues...

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on the Net

Robert Clay

Evil Feline Mastermind
Validated User
We'll see how long that price point lasts once Netflix is dead, but that's certainly worthwhile and I'll never touch ESPN.
I've seen many, many things called the "x-killer" (for whatever value of x) over the years. Most times x-killer either fizzled or settled for coexisting with x, and a few times dethroned x but x stuck around as its competitor. Very few times did x actually die. Disney is pretty big (understatement of the year) but I am a long damn way from writing Netflix off.

Dulahan

Validated User
I might watch ESPN+ during the Olympics, since they often air some of the more interesting to me events get aired on all the peripheral stuff.

Top Bottom