• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney's Descendant's 3

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So this is out and I haven't gotten to see it yet (tho I haven't watche dthe others, so hey) but, as usual, we get some nice music videos out of the deal.

And I wanted to talk about one in particular, called "One Kiss"

The core, as far as I can read, is that Eve (daughter of the Evil Queen from Snow White, played by Sofia Carson) is in love with Doug (the son of … Dopey (sigh)) who has been dropped via a poisoned apple by the villain of the movie. She's trying to figure out if they're in love enough that a kiss will bring him back or not because, if it doesn't, all her doubt will boil over.

Good riff, I dig it.

But in the background, Mal (Dove Cameron) and Uma (China Anne McClain) are watching her turmoil... and China is absolutely *stealing* this scene. Just absolutely owning it. That girl is going to be a star in the not so distant future.

Eve's got a weakness in singing but is a good dancer and a surprisingly good actor, so I think that she'll wind up getting some big roles down the line. Dove is a passable singer and can dance well enough but her acting chops need polish, IMHO. She could go the Britney route but is more likely going the Vanessa Hudgens way, moving on to journeyman acting jobs.

Why is Uma, the villain from the second movie, chummy with Mal and Eve? I have no idea. Do Mal nd Eve still have the "We're a couple but Disney so we won't talk about it" vibe? No clue. This is the last role of Cameron Boyce (he plays Carlos de Vil) due to his untimely death at a young age, so I don't know if the franchise will go one without him but a spinoff starring the new characters debuted here, with the main cast being written off, is possible.

Harry Hook (played by Thomas Dohetry) continues to be fabulouspirate with far, far too much eyeliner but may well break out into a starring role in future stuff.

Oh, we also get to meet Mal's dad who has one of the best villain songs ever.

All in all, I dig what I've seen. One of these days I have to sit down and watch an entire flick but, for now, I'm pretty happy with the music videos and just sorta making up my own plot to connect 'em. :D

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
... is Mal's dad supposed to be Hades? That's not a pairing I was expecting...

I've seen the first movie, but can't find a way to legally stream the second, but I like these songs too. Maybe I'll try harder

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I still can't get over the fact that Dopey has a kid in this universe.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I still can't get over the fact that Dopey has a kid in this universe.
I mean, who else would you take among the dwarves? Angry guy? Mansplainer? Walking health hazard? Narcoleptic man?

Bashful and Happy may have a running chance, but Dopey was clearly the most intelligent and held back by being a mute.

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
I haven't watched any of the movies, but I've always thought they looked interesting setting wise. The songs are fun. I love the designs of the characters.

Oh and Dopey's kid is adorable.

Last edited:

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looks like, and whoever did that hair was on point. That is great.
With the singular exception of Mal's bangs (And weird megalips) in the second movie (yikes), they've always been great at design. The sets look good, the hair's excellent, and the costumes are *fantastic* (but with all the dancing, combined with leather, after-shoots have GOT to be stinky) I want to make a particular callout to the shoes/boots across the board. I dunno who Disney has as a cobbler, but damn. (And, related, whomever teaches the gals to DANCE in those things? You're amazing!)

Here's another clip, for "Night Fall" (Which should really be 'Knight' but), where you get to see more of tehir strengths on display. VERY nice choreography, just … try not to look at the swordplay. Or Mal's "Roll over a guy's back" move. Focus on the dancing, trust me.

Ember Dragon

wannabe otokoyaku
Validated User
My wife's a huge Descendant's fan so we preordered D3 from Amazon Prime and watched it last week so I can answer some questions!

Yes, Hades is Mal's dad. He and her mom... didn't get along.

Uma and her boys are hanging out with Mal and the gang mostly in an "Enemy of my enemy is my friend". Plus eventual acknowledgment that Uma had a point in D2.

If you haven't seen the video for "Queen of Mean", I recommend it. It's... very obvious the singing is ADR-d in, but it's a lot of fun.

Mal goes dragon a couple of times in this one.

It's also... very political. For me, it was a good thing.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My nieces are beside themselves about it. Like "one of them has a birthday in 7 days and all she can talk about is Descendants 3 is coming out" excited.

Personally I preferred Disney's Zombies. :)

PeterM

Validated User
There’s another one? The little girls at the library are going to lose their damned minds. Like, more than usual.

We had one mom the other day complaining all her daughter wants to read is the novelization of Descendants 2. I suppose this is good news for her, of a sort.

Top Bottom