• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney's Descendant's 3

Capeträger

Validated User
I watched the first two and while I didn't like the second much, I will probably watch this one, too.

One thing I don't like about the first is that they made Jafar a thief. I mean, he did steal some things in "Aladdin", but on a totally different level. Aladdin was the thief. The way Jafar is portrayed here doesn't really fit with the movie. Also "middle eastern villain - thief" feels like an outdated stereotype.

Cruella raising her son to think that dogs are terrible monsters, though? That makes total sense. I liked that.

Hades / Maleficent is a pairing that I have seen only once before. In an episode of House of Mouse. No idea if that's a coincidence or not.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I was looking up the songs on youtube and apparently there's a short of Audrey recapping the first two movies.

That was cute

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My 10 yo girl really liked it, although her song-and-dance musical tastes are heavily influenced by her mom, given she was going around the house yesterday singing "We Both Reached For The Gun" from Chicago.

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well yeah. You have to remember that she's the worst of the lot and, argueably, the worst villain in Disney's entire library.

For instance, Maleficent? She's a royal and when the parents of Aurora invited people to their daughter's celebration, they pointedly snubbed the Queen of the Fae while inviting other fairies and pretty much everyone else. It was a deliberate snub, but she gave them a chance when she mentioned that her invitation must have gotten lost. They COULD have said, "Oh, yes, of course. Terribly sorry about that. Please, join us," and, even if it wasn't sincere, she'd have gone forward since honor would have been addressed. Instead, they snubbed her AGAIN, so she turned her intended gift to a darker one. Then she left. It's a bit petty, true, but there's a justification there and the whole mess could have been avoided.

The Evil Queen was jealous of her husband's daughter by his widow and when she surpasses the Queen in beauty and her father is siding more with her than with his wife, well, she snaps. The man she married, the KING, is turning away from his queen to fawn over a daughter who'll just be married off at some point? Instead of ruling the land? Instead of making heirs with HER? Sure, murder's a bit MUCH, but, again, there's a justification there, if an awful one. She herself gets killed by having red hot iron shoes pressed onto her feet, upon which she dances until she dies.

Jafar? He was the advisor to an absolutely terrible ruler in the Sultan, personally having to go around and handle all manner of things that the Sultan wasn't able to do since he was so distracted with frivolous misuse of money and clapping like a child at entertainment instead of, say, outlawing slavery or even dealing with the poverty just outsid ethe palace walls. Jafar maneuvered Aladin to steal a magic lamp for him, with which he could take power, and when that didn't work, moved to marry the Sultan's only child, setting himself up to be the next ruler, where he could finally fix things that the jolly old Sultan never could. Were his methods heavy-handed and, perhaps, vile? Yes, but he had a goal and a justification.

And then there's Cruella.

Who wants to skin, not dogs, but *puppies*, for what? A coat. Just one coat. She has dozens mind you. She's not in search pf power, she's not avenging a slieght to her honor. She's not trying to get rich, powerful, or rule a nation … she just wants to skin some fucking puppies. Because fuck you that's why.

The first three are bad but justified, Cruella's fucking EVIL.
I do like it that Maleficent is basically an incarnation of pure evil, who literally can't comprehend things like compassion or self-sacrifice, and yet fandom-in-general agrees that murdering puppies is way worse.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I do like it that Maleficent is basically an incarnation of pure evil, who literally can't comprehend things like compassion or self-sacrifice, and yet fandom-in-general agrees that murdering puppies is way worse.
The thing about Maleficent is that she appears to be a fairy, not a human, and so we instinctively expect her to act differently from normal folks. I mean, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather aren't normal, either. So Maleficent getting pissed
At the lack of hospitality gives a nice, mythic resonance to her evil.

Cruella is just petty, however. There's no mythicness in wanting to kill a ton of puppies (belonging to your niece?) just to make yourself... another coat. Because you're just that vain.

Amethyst

Validated User
I love that Mal being a half-fairy demigoddess isn't even a thing, when in any other movie or fantasy novel, she'd either be saving the world or destroying it.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Cruella's in the same league as the butler from The Aristocats or the yodeling cattle rustler from Home On The Range.

Meanwhile, the Horned King is somewhere on that island, going, "Hello? Raised a literal army of the undead to wage unholy terror on every living thing!"
Honestly the Butler was just an idiot who did something stupid in an act of desperation and kind of snowballed into villainy out of frustration.

I mean the old lady left the fortune to the cats. Of course if he thought about it he'd realize that it would be the Cats in name only, and he would likely be the executor of the estate. (Plus, he was counting each cats nine lives independently and assumed that meant they would all outlive them. Even if nine lives were a thing, the cats are all aging at the same time. He was multiplying nine lives worth of years by four.)

Really Edgar's biggest sin is being bad at math and poor impulse control.

Also, you think the Horn kings got it bad. I have to assume Chernobog is also on that island somewhere.

Chernobog: hey guys I'm gonna have some friends over for a thing that cool?
Maleficent: Is this gonna be one of your weird black sabbath things where a bunch of ghosts and witches and demons show up and you have a big fracas all night?
Chernobog: Is that a problem?
Maleficent: yes because you never invite me.
Chernobog: I didn't think it would be a big deal.
Malefiecnt: Not a big.... I cursed a girl with eternal sleeping death and covered her home in magic thrones because I was snubbed for a party. Its literally my character motivation.
Chernobog: Okay okay I get it. You want to come to my thing.
Maleficent: I would love to. Should I break out my formal wear? Is it black tie?
Chernabog: Not... really? Most of the witches who show up are naked.
Maleficent: Oh its one of those kind of parties huh? Okay then I can work with that.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Cruella is just petty, however. There's no mythicness in wanting to kill a ton of puppies (belonging to your niece?) just to make yourself... another coat. Because you're just that vain.
IIRC Cruella and Anita were friends from college.

Top Bottom