[Division 2] Open Beta and Beyond!!!

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
So, Division 2: Washington Boogaloo (May not be actual title) by Ubisoft is coming out. Following up on the post-apocalypse of the NYC winter in the first game, Division 2 takes place in the summer in Washington, D.C.

With the Open Beta weekend starting on 3/1 (preloading available earlier), I figured it might be time for a dedicated thread to it.

I only had time to play a little bit of the Private Beta, but I found it enough fun to preorder and start playing the original again. :oops:

I did have an unwholesome love of the first game, warts and all, but was eventually driven away ~1.3 by the post-30 gameplay (or lack thereof, really) and what I felt was a reliance on the increasingly unfun (IMO) dark-zone.

My preferred play style is sniper+AR/SMG, which appears to still be viable in the second.

I am very looking forward to exploring DC.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I had plenty of time for Private Beta, but none of my friends had, so it was a solo experience. It should be better this time, which is what I'm looking forward to. Especially the max level content (the invaded mission) looks like it really rewards cooperation, so that's going to be a good thing to experience.

So, Division 2: Washington Boogaloo (May not be actual title)
Heheh.

I did have an unwholesome love of the first game, warts and all, but was eventually driven away ~1.3 by the post-30 gameplay (or lack thereof, really) and what I felt was a reliance on the increasingly unfun (IMO) dark-zone.
That's one of the areas they IMO managed to greatly improve - as of now there's a horde mode, a procedurally generated dungeon mode, and a survival mode on top of legendary missions, "raids", Dark Zone and the PvP modes.

AnEristicPrinciple

Changed by Circumstance
Validated User
I played a fair chunk of the last technical alpha (terrible) and private beta (vastly improved) including PUG'ing for a couple of hours in open-world stuff and the various missions. The grouped stuff was fun and I enjoyed it, but it did help that the group actually seemed to work together, strategically (I know, shocking!)

That unlocked the "endgame character" and I was quickly reminded about everything I disliked about the original post-30. I'm not sure I can justify dropping the money on a game just for the journey up to an endgame which I personally found grindy and repetitive. I'll be keeping an eye on it, all the same.

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
That's one of the areas they IMO managed to greatly improve - as of now there's a horde mode, a procedurally generated dungeon mode, and a survival mode on top of legendary missions, "raids", Dark Zone and the PvP modes.
To be fair, I have enjoyed wandering around and doing the underground missions in Division since I started replaying recently.

Right now, I’ve fully downloaded Div 2 and am ready to go. One hour left, and I have the correct mix of anger and helplessness to spray a bunch of pixels all over the green post-apocalypse. :)

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
That unlocked the "endgame character" and I was quickly reminded about everything I disliked about the original post-30. I'm not sure I can justify dropping the money on a game just for the journey up to an endgame which I personally found grindy and repetitive. I'll be keeping an eye on it, all the same.
What was that specifically?

I took a swing at the level 30 invaded mission in the previous beta, took me about an hour and a half to get through the mission solo, but I liked that it never felt like enemies are badly scaled or too bullet-spongy; there was just a lot of them and they used their abilities and tactics to great effect.

WightMutt

The Doge One
Validated User
So my one question is are the tougher enemies still bullet sponge types that can wade through fire add if it was nothing, since they don't flinch till the sponge bar is gone.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
So my one question is are the tougher enemies still bullet sponge types that can wade through fire add if it was nothing, since they don't flinch till the sponge bar is gone.
I can't really say since I mostly played normal difficulty solo, which was the least bullet-spongy even in the original game, but there are a few factors.

First, the devs said that misions will never be just veterans+ or even just elites, there should always be a mix of squishier and tougher enemies. That should bring some variety to the missions, make it easier to concentrate fire on the toughest enemies, as well as ensure that stacking damage to elites and damage to armour is not the universal answer to everything.

Second, even the enemies that are tough don't just get a long bar of generic armour, they're tough in a much more specific and (this is the important bit for me) much more interactive ways. For example, there are still the big heavies from the first game. But their toughness comes from having plates of armour placed all over them. If you find a spot that's without armour, they go down much quicker. If you don't find any, then concentrating fire at a specific area will chew through the armour plate that is placed there, revealing the soft flesh underneath.

And third, enemies are more interesting to fight in general, they have strong spots, weak spots, various counters you can employ... Enemies with helmets with faceplates where headshots might not be the best answer. Enemies who use drones or RC bomb cars can be easily disposed if you catch them releasing the proxy and shoot it before it clears safe distance from them. Heavies with machine guns can be prevented from shooting if you manage to hit their ammo belt, causing it to get stuck. Grenade throwing enemies are vulnerable when preparing to throw, as usual, but the grenades can also be shot from out of the air, protecting yourself even if it doesn't hurt any enemy. Most human enemies have weak spots in their knees or legs, letting you counter rushers by dropping them to the ground mid-charge.

The third factor is the bit I was most impressed with. The design of enemies in this game is something else...

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Despite installing yesterday, the game asked me to apply a patch, but apart from restarting, it was short and painless.
And it's live!

AnEristicPrinciple

Changed by Circumstance
Validated User
What was that specifically?

I took a swing at the level 30 invaded mission in the previous beta, took me about an hour and a half to get through the mission solo, but I liked that it never felt like enemies are badly scaled or too bullet-spongy; there was just a lot of them and they used their abilities and tactics to great effect.
It felt too bullet-spongey to me and I hate the bullet-sponge mechanic. Looking at the gear and skills, it reminded me too much of Division 1's grinding RNGs for an extra +0.5% crit.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
The thing I was most interested in was the character creator, which is apparently not in the beta. Oh, well.

Was it too much to hope for that they would have just imported the character customization from Wildlands? Because that was well made.

Top Bottom