• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Division 2] Open Beta and Beyond!!!

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
It felt too bullet-spongey to me and I hate the bullet-sponge mechanic. Looking at the gear and skills, it reminded me too much of Division 1's grinding RNGs for an extra +0.5% crit.
I didn't get to take a good look at the endgame equip, but the way everything was mods and there seemed to be a big variety in mod traits was a little alarming, yes.

As for the enemies, it seems to me a lot of them look like bullet sponge until you find out what their weaknesses are. For example, in the invasion mission, the robot enemies were very tough; but each had several weak spots; and all would drop if you could find and stop their controller.

Also, did you play alone? I feel it's a big difference, since even in a two-player coordinated team it's much easier to maneuver the enemy for their weak spots...

EDIT:
The thing I was most interested in was the character creator, which is apparently not in the beta. Oh, well.

Was it too much to hope for that they would have just imported the character customization from Wildlands? Because that was well made.
Given how the characters dropping out of the random generators look, and given that clothing is mostly unlocked in-game, I wouldn't put much hope in the character creator.

Falkus

Validated User
I'm enjoying the beta, and so far the game feels like a gradual improvement on what I enjoyed about the first Division.

Storywise, I'm finding it kind of weird the way everybody acts like my character is superman when I show up. I grant that under the harsh circumstances, a highly trained government agent showing up to assist would be a welcome relief; but every single friendly I run into seems to act like I'm the second coming. I'm not averse to praise in a game, but I feel like I should actually do something to earn it first.

Professor Polyhedral

Validated User
I can see the fun in the game and it does scratch the looter itch, but for me it's a bit repetitive and spongy. I'm not really feeling the combat. Perhaps that's because I'd prefer a world more fantastical than Tom Clancy's technothriller setting.

Not sure it's a keeper for me

StumpyDave

Still pretty. Still pink
Validated User
Compared to the private Beta,this time round you're a beast! Especially the turret. I threw it into one room and needn't have bothered shooting - it took out everyone itself!

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Compared to the private Beta,this time round you're a beast! Especially the turret. I threw it into one room and needn't have bothered shooting - it took out everyone itself!
I loved the chem launcher this time around. Especially the flammable gas version was just so fun to use...

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
So, I have finished up all the side missions and main missions available, and it has been fun. I did not go into the Dark Zone after the Recon mission, but I most likely will not go into the dark zone in the full game, anyway. Division 1 eventually soured me on that whole scene.

The enemy design and set-piece design in the missions were quite good. I really liked that the side-missions felt like they were just a shortened version of a main mission and had their own interesting set-pieces. The main missions were uniformly well-done, in my estimation. I really liked the atmospheric effects (puddles get larger in the rain, turn green from plant-life, and eventually shrink) and the overall summer green-ness as a contrast to the whites/grays of the NYC winter.

The weapons were interesting in that (with the notable exception of the double-barrelled shotgun), I could see the use for all of them, even if I did not think that I would want to play with them. Shotguns are the main example of a weapon type that I have no real interest in using. I will stick with Sniper + Assault when freeroaming and Marksman + Assault/SMG when doing missions, I think.

For skills, I ran purely with the Assault Turret + Armor Heal Drone, which were great for solo-play.

Dropping the assault turret feels like having another player with you to tank enemies, and the first part of a set-piece was often me figuring out the best location that had sufficient FOV coverage for the turret. It really made missions in story mode with two players too easy, I think, but was really useful in two-player normal mode missions. The Armor Healing drone is absurdly useful (as expected). It heals the thing that enemies take away. Not enough that enemies become irrelevant, but enough to mitigate some risk.

I did not experiment at all with the chem launcher or seeker mine, though that is more an artifact of what I want to do when playing (i.e., use things that are resident, but fire and forget).

There are still some odd bugs (an enemy door not opening during a "Territory Control" Freeroam Op, the MLK library outpost chest not being openable after clearing the outpost, and a strange view or character position oddity after crafting were the most notable), and I encountered one graphical glitch and one audio glitch.

Overall, though, I think that the game is in really good shape.

Mike000

Validated User
I'm...not picking it up anytime soon. The gameplay was fine, but it would crash on me at least once every mission, would randomly scramble my video settings every time I logged in, one mission was almost entirely washed out - every other room was just a wall of white. It seems to need a LOT of polishing still.

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
I'm...not picking it up anytime soon. The gameplay was fine, but it would crash on me at least once every mission, would randomly scramble my video settings every time I logged in, one mission was almost entirely washed out - every other room was just a wall of white. It seems to need a LOT of polishing still.
Wow, that really sucks, and it is terrible that you had that experience; I am relieved that I saw nothing like that at all.

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Storywise, I'm finding it kind of weird the way everybody acts like my character is superman when I show up. I grant that under the harsh circumstances, a highly trained government agent showing up to assist would be a welcome relief; but every single friendly I run into seems to act like I'm the second coming. I'm not averse to praise in a game, but I feel like I should actually do something to earn it first.
That is slightly weird to me, as well. When it first shows up, it does not necessarily feel earned.

Of course, by the time I did all the early missions and leveled up the settlement, I did feel a little bad-ass. ;)

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Well, game releases this week, and my laptop is busy pre-loading the game. :)

Should be able to start playing late tonight, if I understand their phased starting plans correctly.

Top Bottom