IC DnD 5e: Far from Home

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cat takes one last look at the secret corridor and sighs. "I wonder what was down there. But I am too alive to be buried." Then she turns and hurries after Elaine, calling out: "Coming!"

Turning to look at Orianna as she runs, Cat then comments: "That is an awesome hat, by the way."

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Giant's Pile Cave · Orianna of Istria
HP: 9/20 · AC: 17 · Spent Features: Action Surge, Second Wind

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Turning to look at Orianna as she runs, Cat then comments: "That is an awesome hat, by the way."
“Thanks, girl!” Orianna tipped her hat with a smirk, making the pheasant feathers adorning its pinned side sway gently in the dusty air. “I must say, you’re an impressive fighter. Showed up at the right time, for we were in quite a bind!”

With a glance over her shoulder, Orianna let herself fall slightly behind to bring up the rear and keep Nikola in sight. They weren’t out of danger yet, and she gave her word she’d keep the man safe. She fully intended to follow up on it; and she even felt better, more able and somehow reinvigorated. It must be the thrill of the fight, still boosting her reflexes and sharpening her senses.

Last edited:

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
The tunnel collapses behind you as you dart back the way you came. You can hear the vast crashing noises as the ceiling caves in on itself. Luckily, having made a quick decision to leave, you manage to stay ahead of the violent destruction and emerge blinking into daylight. With a final, sighing crunch, the cave mouth itself tumbles and becomes an impenetrable sheet of stone and gravel and detritus. The bones which make up the Giant's Pile shift dangerously, but there's not much movement otherwise.

In a moment, everything is dead silent, as if the whole world was holding its breath.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Oops," Cat says as the dust settles. "We broke it. Oh well, at least no one got hurt." Then she rubs her side and looks around, spotting various bruises among the others. "Well... Badly hurt."

Focusing her gaze on Orianna and Nikola, Cat then says: "Hello. I am Catherine. Cat to my friends, who are called-" she does a quick round, introducing everyone, and then turns back to Orianna and Nikola. "What are your names? And what was down there? Looked really weird."

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Anik shook the dust off. He practically made himself dizzy from comically wiggling. The young monk quickly did a head count to make sure everyone was accounted for and no major injuries had occurred. He exhaled and rubbed the side of his neck from where the tentacle had grasped him. "That thing was cough-kahack strong," he said. His eyebrows perked up when his brain caught up with what he was saying.

"Hey! Why were you two fighting that creature? I'm Anik!" he said to Orianna and Nikola, his sentences running together as adrenaline continued coursing through him.

Stormraven

Mystical Atheist
Validated User
Elaine nods, and bows gracefully, her height not once an issue either in the corridor or here.
"Cat's named us all, but to help stick our names, I'm Elaine."

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Giant's Pile · Orianna of Istria

Out in the sunlight, it became clear that Orianna’s hat wasn’t her single exuberant piece of attire. Worn to the side in the eastern fashion, her jaunty blue cloak peeked from under the ashen layer of dust, and the leather armor, although inconspicuous enough, was finely crafted—a closer look revealing it had been sew with the uttermost care, put together out of the best materials available. Her hair, worn in a braid and interwoven with colorful ribbons, framed the weathered face of someone nearing her thirties who elected to spend most of her time outdoors.

“I am Orianna,” she said with a bow and twirl of her hat. The woman regarded the group with her perpetually smiling eyes, then patted on Nikola’s shoulder. “I was in charge of watching my dear friend’s back as he gathered some components, but alas, neither of us could imagine that was what the local legends called ‘an evil spirit’. It sneaked on us so quietly, hadn’t it been your timely arrival we’d be in serious trouble!”

JMPayneJ

Validated User
In contrast to his companion, Nikola was a study in the truly unremarkable. While the sunlight drew the wandering eye to Orianna, it would have led the same eye to ignore his worn leather armor, his dark, common clothes, and his equally pale, slightly unhealthy countenance. For those paying attention, they'd see the man running his hands over the various tears and scratches in his clothes and armor. As his hands pass over his wardrobe, the damage is mended with only the slight discoloration of the repaired sections. Closer inspection would reveal his garments are crisscrossed with old repairs.

He continues to do this till he realizes Orianna had spoken to him...

"Oh, yes, my apologies. My name's Nikola, and Orianna speaks the truth. All my research showed that the runes were still intact, and I - again - feel that I must stress that I did not release that. Not me. Someone's been meddling in their previously."

"Anyhoo, I do owe Orianna a drink at the tavern. I was pretty adamant that there was no danger in there after all. And I do believe I'm required to extend that offer to you all after that show. Perhaps we can also find some miners that'd be interested in clearing out the debris. I'm telling you, the Giant's Pile has secrets worthy of our attention,"

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
After, presumably, a good long rest, the party gets back on the road.

The first sign of the city is the cloud of dust around it, kicked up by the endless stream of wagons and foot traffic coming and going from its main gate. The walls come into sight soon afterwards, emerging from the gritty haze. It's a strange dichotomy to most of the travelers - the city wall itself isn't terribly impressive to their eyes, because they grew up beneath The Wall itself. But the idea that this wall encompasses a single city is harder to wrap one's head around.

The gates are manned by city watch in drab but functional uniforms. They wear short swords and carry long halberds, and are doing perfunctory searches of everyone who enters the city, but nobody seems to be getting shaken down or harassed.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"The bad thing about walls," Cat sighs. "They block the view. Oh well, I suppose I get to see the city itself soon enough."

She looks at Orianna and Nikola. "You are familiar with this place, right? So you know about its laws and ordinances and such. I wouldn't like to accidentally do something that is not allowed. And, uh, do you have suggestions about ways to earn some money in the city? Because everything is going to cost some in there, and my pockets are not exactly jingling with coins."

Top Bottom