Do good Ravenloft / horror adventures exist? Any ghost horror adventures?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Really, I think going for a creepy atmosphere is probably best, so maybe I'll look into Bane of the Shadowborn. I remember the 3e description of the domain around it seemed actually eerie. But the 3e third-party stuff was generally creepy and they dodged the issues of the previous edition by simply never releasing any adventures that I recall.
If you can find it, I still suggest finding the article in Dragon 336 to augment BoS. Or at the very least check out the Kargatane Book of S series for a ton of fan made Ravenloft material, some of which is advice.

DocShoveller

both a doctor and a fox
Validated User
Colin McComb's Howls in the Night is a kind of curse+ghost kind of affair, the major selling point is that it has four different endings depending on how the GM wants to play the principal NPCs.

Nooch

Validated User
It's been a loooooong time since I looked at it, but I seem to remember "Bleak House: the Death of Rudolf van Richten" was pretty good. The vague impression in my mind is that it was decently structured and decently scary.

DarkMoc

Validated User
Another possible good one from Dungeon Magazine is Caveat Emptor (issue #58), which has the PCs trying to track down a dentist's murderer.

Dr. Rudolf von Richten

Validated User
It's been a loooooong time since I looked at it, but I seem to remember "Bleak House: the Death of Rudolf van Richten" was pretty good. The vague impression in my mind is that it was decently structured and decently scary.
Reports of my Death are greatly exaggerated!

thewhippinggirl

Still being assembled.
Validated User
Not Ravenloft but I imagine it could easily be converted over to Ravenloft...there is a modern era campaign for Call of Cthulhu called Our Ladies of Sorrow which is a ghost story way more then a Mythos story. I could see it working easily in Ravenloft

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I would point out that Bleak House is honestly one of the best Ravenloft modules out there. Also, one of my favorite modules to introduce people to Ravenloft with is Neither Man Nor Beast. Night of the Living Dead is your classic zombie horror story actually.

Tone in the Ravenloft modules are extremely hard to pull off and their quality runs from 'Oh my god why did they write this? (Thoughts of Darkness)' to 'Huh. This is kind of really cool. (Bleak House)."

Also, if you want an interesting take on a haunted house story, I think it's called Howls in the Mists. Takes place in Mordent and the final chapter is the haunted house part of it but being lost in the fog while being hunted by shadow dogs always gets on player's nerves.

Last edited:

Nooch

Validated User
I would point out that Bleak House is honestly one of the best Ravenloft modules out there. Also, one of my favorite modules to introduce people to Ravenloft with is Neither Man Nor Beast. Night of the Living Dead is your classic zombie horror story actually.

Tone in the Ravenloft modules are extremely hard to pull off and their quality runs from 'Oh my god why did they write this? (Thoughts of Darkness)' to 'Huh. This is kind of really cool. (Bleak House)."

Also, if you want an interesting take on a haunted house story, I think it's called Howls in the Mists. Takes place in Mordent and the final chapter is the haunted house part of it but being lost in the fog while being hunted by shadow dogs always gets on player's nerves.
I never got to run Bleak House, and my only clear memory of it was wanting to because it was good, so I'm glad that's been confirmed :)

Night of the Living Dead was fun too - To this day one of my players calls that module the one I "cheated" on because the tomb diminished his Paladin's turning power so instead of turning ALL of the zombies he turned NONE.

Howls in the Mist always reminded me of Hound of the Baskervilles in Ravenloft. That one had four different endings depending on what the PC's did if I recall - which is always structurally nice.

Top Bottom