• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Do the BECMI books have the same art as the Rules Cyclopedia?

vivsavage

Independent Procrastinor
Validated User
I have the RC and it is a terrific set of rules. But the artwork... ugh. Does the same stuff sully the individual BECMI books?

Davies

Validated User
No, very much not. There's a lot of Easley and Elmore stuff in the various boxed sets.

Davies

Validated User
Art costs. :) The D&D branch of TSR was more or less the black sheep of the company by this point, with little in the way of resources given to it. And Mr. Dykstra's work, while not spectacular, is certainly very workmanlike.

vivsavage

Independent Procrastinor
Validated User
Art costs. :) The D&D branch of TSR was more or less the black sheep of the company by this point, with little in the way of resources given to it. And Mr. Dykstra's work, while not spectacular, is certainly very workmanlike.
But why commission new art when you already own the stuff from BECMI?

Chainsaw Mage

Banned
But why commission new art when you already own the stuff from BECMI?
To re-print the BECMI art in a new product (RC) would require another licensing fee.

So true about the RC art being awful. Anyone remember the picture of the group playing D&D, and the DM has a mullet and a lot of hair on the back of his hand? Dear God, my eyes still burn thinking of that one.

Bohemian Ear Spoon

Advanced DM of Doom
Validated User
To re-print the BECMI art in a new product (RC) would require another licensing fee.

So true about the RC art being awful. Anyone remember the picture of the group playing D&D, and the DM has a mullet and a lot of hair on the back of his hand? Dear God, my eyes still burn thinking of that one.
I always wondered about that, thanks for the answer, and secondly, please post a pic! I need a laugh.

Chainsaw Mage

Banned
I always wondered about that, thanks for the answer, and secondly, please post a pic! I need a laugh.
Unfortunately I don't have my RC anymore; sold it long ago for big bucks on eBay lol.

A quick Google search only turned up this pic of the Rules Cyclopedia thief, which is a pretty good example of the dreadful art:

http://blog.fantasyheartbreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rcthief.png

Can you picture this woman going into a dungeon to loot and plunder? She looks more like a waitress at TGI Friday's on a pirate theme day or something.

Atom Man

Man of Many Atoms
Validated User
I rather like that illustration. Just goes to show, I suppose, how subjective art preferences are.

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
Yeah she looks like a swashbuckling pirate, for a seaborne and/or city type game. Not every DnD game is delving the dungeon, though I do love to do it!

Top Bottom