• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Do we have a Chesspack or a Gopack?

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I should sign up and see if I can get into this. It's probably been at least a couple years since I actually played Go, and I certainly was never an advanced player, but I like the game.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Would anyone mind taking a look at the game that Prisoneroffantasy Prisoneroffantasy and I had?
https://online-go.com/game/15421010

Thoughts? Admittedly, if seeing my low level of play makes you want to cry or vomit, feel free to run away in horror or pity :p
I'm not convinced that the scoring on that is meaningful. More than half the score-able points were not awarded and a lot of them look like they could have been yours. I wouldn't claim to have a higher level of play than you, but I sure wouldn't have called things settled where you stopped.

One thing I do think is that a number of you group-joining moves are unnecessary (42, 44) or even harmful (62 for sure, maybe 66).

Prisoneroffantasy

Enjoying my fishbowl view
Validated User
I should sign up and see if I can get into this. It's probably been at least a couple years since I actually played Go, and I certainly was never an advanced player, but I like the game.
You should join us, Ulzgoroth! We're mostly playing correspondence games, so far, so it wouldn't take a lot of your time. Though, if you wanted to play live-speed games too, you can probably get ahold of me(I don't know about the others.) most days in the PM, Pacific time. We're having a good time. :)

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
You should join us, Ulzgoroth! We're mostly playing correspondence games, so far, so it wouldn't take a lot of your time. Though, if you wanted to play live-speed games too, you can probably get ahold of me(I don't know about the others.) most days in the PM, Pacific time. We're having a good time. :)
Registered and joined the group.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Latest game with Prisoneroffantasy Prisoneroffantasy : https://online-go.com/game/15652373

Anyone available to help with teaching games or such? I'm looking at the game, thinking that I started to learn back in 2005 but then didn't play again up until recently. I definitely panic/get insecure, and its clear I react a lot rather than calmly think o_O

I'd like to offer Prisoneroffantasy a better, legitimate challenge. I think part of that is getting help to improve, and part of that might be asking for a handicap next couple of games.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I found this instructional sequence "Stone Development For Beginners" extremely helpful in getting a grip on some tactical elements. I should really run through it again. EDIT: also this "Tactics Tutor" sequence.

EDIT: I'd be happy to play-and-kibitz, but I don't think I have the skills to really teach. And from what Prisoneroffantasy says I apparently play very aggressively.

Last edited:

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
A little game commentary:
- Early on, you build a couple of 'empty triangle' shapes, with no strong pressure to do so. That seems to be something to avoid if you can - 3 stones in an L gains very little strength or reach over two in a row. Those third stones would usually do more for you played on a diagonal or at a skip away from the line.

-You should probably not ever play a one-space skip when an enemy stone (let alone a line of stones) is already next to the skipped intersection. Under most circumstances that's trivial for the enemy to cut. EDIT: Not ever is too strong here, probably. One of the tactics lessons uses one. I think the nearby board edge is what lets it work out.

-Another cautionary note: playing a solitary stone directly next to an enemy stone is more dangerous than it may seem. I'd think very hard about whether you want to do that without first having a strong support like a stone at a diagonal or a one-space skip away. If the enemy stone has a strong support, going in without support of your own is tantamount to suicide.

-Throughout the game, both players seem to drop what look like urgent situations to make a chain of plays elsewhere - often small consolidation plays back and forth in completely unconnected parts of the board. I'm perhaps biased by my own play inclinations but this seems contrary to recommendations I've seen too.

-At move 114 you had a nice chunk of the right side of the board in your grasp, along with the big interior pocket. You let move 117 start to invade it without reply, and after a few turns of the above-mentioned digression Prisoneroffantasy continues the invasion in 137-147 while you wall off the last (already small) opening in your interior space. By 147 the territory was gone and Prisoneroffantasy could have easily picked off the 5 unconnected stones as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom