Do we have a Chesspack or a Gopack?

Prisoneroffantasy

Enjoying my fishbowl view
Validated User
I have a feeling I should just let Go go. :-/
Have you had anyone more experienced walk you through some of the reasons "why" you'd want to play certain things? I'm sure you understand that you're trying to struggle for control of territory, but learning the "how" of doing that depends a lot on understanding the "why's" behind choosing given moves and plans.

If you really feel like giving up, no one here's going to judge you, but I'd be very happy to play a few teaching games with you; I'm certain I can help you to enjoy the game more.

Valfader

Heavy metal hippie
Validated User
Have you had anyone more experienced walk you through some of the reasons "why" you'd want to play certain things? I'm sure you understand that you're trying to struggle for control of territory, but learning the "how" of doing that depends a lot on understanding the "why's" behind choosing given moves and plans.

If you really feel like giving up, no one here's going to judge you, but I'd be very happy to play a few teaching games with you; I'm certain I can help you to enjoy the game more.
Well, the couple of games I played, did have my opponent give feedback. And the tactics intro Ulzgoroth linked said some of the things, he also said, as well as many more. But I just don't grasp them. It's too abstract.

Prisoneroffantasy

Enjoying my fishbowl view
Validated User
Well, the couple of games I played, did have my opponent give feedback. And the tactics intro Ulzgoroth linked said some of the things, he also said, as well as many more. But I just don't grasp them. It's too abstract.
Fair enough. Life's too short to play games that aren't fun for us.

Danger Mouse

Social Justice Mouse
Validated User
If I can ask, did you play those games on a full-sized board? That works for some beginners, but for people who struggle to wrap their head around the game at first (which included me) playing on a 9x9 board is probably the best way to learn. The tactical concepts you need to learn to play well on a smaller board are more concrete/less abstract, and will carry over to the full 19x19 board once you're comfortable enough to begin delving into the deeper strategies. Plus the games are much shorter, which is a plus for beginners IMO.

Edit: Also, if you have a Flash-enabled broswer, the Interactive Way to Go has a decent beginner's tutorial. You can skip over the early lessons if you feel you don't need a rules refresher, though I recommend doing all the problems even if they seem easy to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom