• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Do you ever feel bad using a guide/wiki/whatever even though it's silly?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I have a weird reason to vent. #firstworldproblems

I was going through Breath of the Wild and trying to find the last shrine. And I've been working at this on-and-off for months, and even after consulting online guides in such a way as to preserve at least part of the challenge I decide it's not worth my time. So I look up a map and find the place.....and immediately begin to feel guilty because I probably could have found this one on my own.

Which is a silly thing to feel: I've already beaten the game once, done the DLC story, found like a butt-ton of Koroks, and beaten all the shrine puzzles on my own (even this last one). The only things I haven't done on my own are find out what some of the armor upgrades are before going through previous levels, the Master Sword gauntlet thing (because I haven't done it), and finding the location of this last shrine.

Why do I feel a little tinge of "I'm not good enough"?

Supposedly talking about feeling with other people is supposed to make one feel better. As stupid a reason for talking as this is I'd like to talk about it. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Once in a while, I'll feel bad about checking a guide, but then I remember all the times where there is no way I, personally, would have thought to do whatever it is you need to do to get the thing, and my guilt evaporates like morning dew in a blast furnace. That and all the times I've mousetrapped myself by going "oh hey, these powers look awesome!" and sinking tons of points into them, only to hit higher levels and discover those powers utterly fail to keep pace with nastier monsters. Or I sink a ton of points into making a fire mage, only to have Act 3 be in the land of "everything is immune to fire," leaving me with either a miserable slog, or needing to start the game over.

As for the "why do I feel like I'm not good enough?" question, best guess is that you almost never see all of the time spent on figuring that shit out, so it looks like the Let's Play person or guide writer got it all right on the first try and is just writing it down as a courtesy to others. It's also forgetting all of the times when, just because the answer is straightforward, that fact isn't very evident because of all the times when the answer wasn't the simple one.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
As for the "why do I feel like I'm not good enough?" question, best guess is that you almost never see all of the time spent on figuring that shit out, so it looks like the Let's Play person or guide writer got it all right on the first try and is just writing it down as a courtesy to others. It's also forgetting all of the times when, just because the answer is straightforward, that fact isn't very evident because of all the times when the answer wasn't the simple one.
I know I've watch Let's Plays were the player seems to be blind to some detail on a map and I've had to remind myself 1) I'm not having to devote brain-power to doing whatever else they're doing, and 2) I took "Can't plan" as my Flaw to pay for "Is really good with maps" skill.

Also Obsessive Disorder plays into it.

Trilobite

This space intentionally left blank.
Validated User
Nope, I never feel bad about it. Sometimes I feel annoyed if I feel like it's necessary to consult a wiki or a guide about something (the "how the fuck was anyone supposed to figure that out?" problem, most often with heavily obfuscated/obtuse systems or large sets of data), but generally, I'm more than fine taking whatever shortcut I can.

My time and patience are limited, after all. If a guide can steer me towards a better experience (less aimless wandering, less FOMO, fewer dumb mistakes), I'll happily take it and generally have a more pleasant experience with a game.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Not really.

Its a one player game experience. Its not like you're using mods to cheat in a multiplayer game.

Once you buy the game, use whatever thing helps you get the most out of it. Cheat codes, easy modes, mods, wikis, lets plays. hell, don't even play the game, use it to level your table or as a coaster. The sky's the limit, you have the power! Nintendo power!

What was the question?

not a pumpkin

Validated User
Not really.

It certainly annoys me when I feel like I have to, but if it's part of normal gameplay I'll blame the developer, especially if it's relatively early, and if it's extra side stuff, well, that's not supposed to be easy and life's too short to spend my time searching for these things once it's no longer fun.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Nope.

I have a family, other hobbies, etc I get maybe 5 hours of hobby time per week. There is no inherent virtue beyond personal pride by not checking guides/wikis/etc. Sometimes I want to save a bit of my very limited hobby time and checking a guide if I want to get something done in a game.

Sometimes for fun, I'll follow a speedrun guide for games I've already beat because I want to play them again, but I don't want to spend the time I spent playing them the first time around, especially for JRPGs. I recently did this with Breath of Fire 2 I have probably beat that game half a dozen times, and wanted to do so again, but didn't want to spend the 20 ish hours I normally spend on it.

I don't mean this in an inflammatory way, but communities as a whole are not concerned if you beat a game with or without a guide or wiki. There is no special gamer award for most integrity in a casual single player game play through by not using a guide or wiki. If it's something you care about for personal achievement then that's just for you, it's hardly worth feeling guilty over. And if you do feel guilty, then don't do it again?

A3Kitsune

Validated User
No. The Pokemon franchise is just too big for one person to know everything about it, so yes, I use Bulbapedia. Same with other multigame franchises like Touhou. Too big to not use a wiki.

R-90-2

Go green, friend an orc.
Validated User
Absolutely not. Either because I don't like fumbling in the dark (Dark Souls, Faxanadu) the game is already unfair so I'm going to be unfair back (Deadly Towers), or there's a "True Ending" which happens to be the only actual Good Ending (far too many to list).

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
And if you do feel guilty, then don't do it again?
Part of the reason for asking is this is the second time I've felt this way.

I mean I used to be all about using guides ("No sense in playing a game if I'm not going to play it right.") and I regularly look up best tactics on games I think about playing but never do.

Top Bottom