• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Do you ever feel bad using a guide/wiki/whatever even though it's silly?

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Why do I feel a little tinge of "I'm not good enough"?
So I look up a map and find the place.....and immediately begin to feel guilty because I probably could have found this one on my own.
You've answered your own question there! You just didn't measure up to your own unconscious idea of what you should've been able to do. It doesn't have to be any more complex than that.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
When I was younger and had all the time in the world to play the few games I owned, then yeah, looking things up felt like cheating.

Nowadays, when my gaming time is limited and I have a ton more games to play? Nah, I’m not going to waste my time running around in circles trying to figure something out when I can look it up, get it done, finish the game and move on to the next game in my backlog. No guilt whatsoever.

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
When I was younger and had all the time in the world to play the few games I owned, then yeah, looking things up felt like cheating.

Nowadays, when my gaming time is limited and I have a ton more games to play? Nah, I’m not going to waste my time running around in circles trying to figure something out when I can look it up, get it done, finish the game and move on to the next game in my backlog. No guilt whatsoever.
This maps to me pretty much exactly - fifteen, twenty years ago when I could devote pretty much every hour that I wasn't doing school things, club sports, or a summer job to video games using a guide felt like cheating. Now, when I have taken up tabletop gaming as my primary hobby and have a significant other who I spend a lot of time with, I can get over that tiny bit of guilt that using a guide gives me pretty easily in order to get more out of the five to ten hours I spend on video games most weeks.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Once in blue moon when playing a puzzle or adventure game in the "your spoiling your fun. you should figure it out on your own" way.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I've had to use guides when I get stuck on Lego games. Compared to that ignominy, you have nothing to feel ashamed about.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Not even slightly. I don't have a) unlimited patience, b) photographic memory or c) the personality for keeping detailed notes next to me while gaming. If they can't give me properly written quest info in the quest log, I can look it up however much I like. If they don't have the energy to balance the combat system to make it survivable on Easy mode, I'll happily use console commands (BTW, I hate it when they shut down achievements when you cheat - if you didn't want me to cheat, don't make your game so freaking hard for a casual gamer like me!).

And that's not even bringing up collectible guides, which are necessary if you don't have the intention of spending 24/7 for ten years to find every single one by slowly finecombing every mile of their open world setting.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nope.

I don't play puzzle or adventure games where there's a large component of "the pleasure of figuring things out" to deal with. I usually give it a good faith effort and then want to move on with the actual game.

Sundancer

Validated User
Like pretty much every one else in this thread, I don't feel bad, or hesitate all that much, about using a guide.

I play a lot of adventure and role-playing games, and guides allow me to follow the story without breaks, or allow me to achieve the outcome I prefer without having to go through several iterations of trial-and-error.

If games gave more information about the outcome/consequences of choices, even if that information might not necessarily be available to the character making the choice, I might be more open to playing without a guide. But that seems to be relatively rare.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
My gaming genre of choice is online co-op games, whether MMO or otherwise. And in this genre, the information the game tells you usually ranges from absolutely none (Left 4 Dead 2, looking at you) to just the barest minimum, with some of it just plain wrong - and that's it. You want to know how the game works, how the skills work, which items are good, which resources to spend and which to hoard, sometimes even where quests are, you gotta hit the internet. And I'm not sorry about doing that, I'm annoyed at the game maker for obfuscating so much of their game so that there has to be a small army of dedicated hardcore gamers with excel sheets and stopwatches and who knows what doing freaking science experiments to be able to report to the rest of us about basic mechanics of the game.

Heck, sometimes developers even decide to regress and hide informations that were visible previously. In Destiny 2, there's a vendor, a freaking item vendor that appears in a different spot each weekend. Used to be, you took a look at the in-game maps, see where his mark is, then search around as he was usually tucked in some forgotten corner. Then the devs took that mark away for some reason, so now I just check the internet, because of course I do. What am I supposed to do, search the entire game? Ugh.

What I do often feel guilty about, though, is when I win a hard fight only through the use of consumables, especially if it looks like I could have won without them if I played a little bit better. Even though I know it's silly.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
You've answered your own question there! You just didn't measure up to your own unconscious idea of what you should've been able to do. It doesn't have to be any more complex than that.
It was never about figuring out "why". That's easy: I want to be able to brag I did the whole thing on my own (I don't get a lot of chances to ego-boost myself). Really I just want someone to say "Yes, I do" because it's supposed to make me feel better.
Once in blue moon when playing a puzzle or adventure game in the "your spoiling your fun. you should figure it out on your own" way.
What I do often feel guilty about, though, is when I win a hard fight only through the use of consumables, especially if it looks like I could have won without them if I played a little bit better. Even though I know it's silly.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom