• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Do you ever feel bad using a guide/wiki/whatever even though it's silly?

JediSoth

Semi-Professional Author/Publisher
Validated User
The convoluted logic of LucasArts adventure games broke me of any feelings of guilt or inadequacy from looking shit up.

Gogmagog

Validated User
I start looking at guides when I hit a late game plateau of 'Where is that bloody legendary platypus skin?' Running around for hours is something I just don't have the energy for anymore.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wouldn't say that I feel guilty as such, but there is a sense of, I dunno, loss or something?

Y'know how, at the beginning of Galaxy Quest, Alan Rickman's character is in full make-up as his alien Spock analogue, only he's at the opening of a shopping mall or something? And he has this "What happened? I used to be an actor!" rant? That's kinda how it is with me when I look up spoilers for story-based games and puzzle-games.

Like, there was a time when I could beat these games without any of that frippery. I remember the intense satisfaction I experienced when I beat Infocom's The Lurking Horror and Suspended without spoilers. Or beating Questron or Phantasie or Ultima III. It is a very satisfying feeling to beat a game with nothing but your own mind.*

These days, I can't. Or, more accurately, I just don't wanna. As others have mentioned, my time is much more limited these days. In the old days, if I messed up a puzzle or something that set me back an hour or more of gameplay, well, big deal. It's a Saturday, I'm gonna be banging on this computer for the next 11 hours anyways, one hour of setback isn't going to kill me. But now if I experience something that sets me back an hour of gameplay, that might be 50% or more of my gaming time for that day. And that's a significant opportunity cost, much moreso than it was when I was younger.

So I use spoilers a lot these days. And it's fine, right? I still have fun experiencing the story and I don't use spoilers for everything, so there is still a feeling of personal accomplishment when I can solve a tricky situation on my own without needing spoilers (though I will still often check them after the fact just to make sure I didn't miss some nuance). I don't feel bad about using them. But there's definitely a sense that it would have been more fun and more satisfying if I hadn't.

(One solution to this problem is to play games where spoilers don't actually guarantee success. Such as the Civilization games. Or NetHack.)

* Well, okay, I did need ONE spoiler for Ultima III. I still have no clue where, in-game, you were supposed to find out that you needed to (Y)ell "EZOCANE" at the serpent guarding the last stage. But that was the only one I needed.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I only feel guilty using guides for true puzzle games like The Witness, everything else is fine and in some genres like RPGs I've got into the habit of using guides from the start to make sure I don't miss important items.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've felt what you mention. But nowadays I feel the guilt and badness in the opposite direction.

Which may have something to do with playing Destiny and Destiny 2 and JESUS CHRIST I PAY FOR THE GAME STOP HIDING THINGS FROM ME!

"oh, to get this quest you have to find out this secret place that is not mentioned anywhere, nobody gives you a clue in the game, you have to do this stuff, go to this nook of the map that is very well disguised, and ... "

Of course the very second you have all that in the game, you have it on the web. Dont tell me you didnt even leaked it. So I have to keep going OUT of your game to find everything from "what are the reasons for this happening" to "what I have to do to have the same weapon as everybody else".

Again, I PAID you for the game. The least you can do is actually give it to me in it. I may suck and never do the quests (or raids, I've still never done one of those), but I really dont like the whole 3/4 of the game info is outside it trend.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I've felt what you mention. But nowadays I feel the guilt and badness in the opposite direction.

Which may have something to do with playing Destiny and Destiny 2 and JESUS CHRIST I PAY FOR THE GAME STOP HIDING THINGS FROM ME!

"oh, to get this quest you have to find out this secret place that is not mentioned anywhere, nobody gives you a clue in the game, you have to do this stuff, go to this nook of the map that is very well disguised, and ... "

Of course the very second you have all that in the game, you have it on the web. Dont tell me you didnt even leaked it. So I have to keep going OUT of your game to find everything from "what are the reasons for this happening" to "what I have to do to have the same weapon as everybody else".

Again, I PAID you for the game. The least you can do is actually give it to me in it. I may suck and never do the quests (or raids, I've still never done one of those), but I really dont like the whole 3/4 of the game info is outside it trend.
So much this, all of it.
It's not even that they don't have the time or resources to put the info in; with Forsaken, some info that used to be in-game in Destiny 2 got actually taken out.

Top Bottom