Dogs In The Vineyard and the game I'm running.

TheLHF

Retired User
Hello,

I liked your columns and I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

I'm currently starting up a Burning Wheel (fantasy) game where religion plays a key role. There is one over all religion in the kingdom. There are three major denominations of the religion in the city the game is set. Each denomination is split up into a huge number of different sects. Some sects have a large number of churches, some churches are the head priests living room.

The denominations are currently bickering about who's religion is "right". The different sects are arguing about who is "right" and what the best way to fight the other denomination are. Right in the middle of all this, the empire from over the mountains invades and touches of a civil war. The characters are just trying to keep safe and sort their lives out.

So! Religion in fantasy games is something that is very much of interest to me right now.

The second part of this post is, I'm wondering if you have ever played Dogs In the Vineyard? The game is all about being part of your religion and making choices based on your character religious views.

--Victor

Tom_K

Validated User
That sounds like a really interesting religious setting for a game. What caused the divisons between the three denominations? Generally, religions splitting are caused by either differences of belief (No, no, no, you're worshipping all wrong!) or differences of authority (I'm supposed to be high priest, not him!) Is it one of those, or something else? As for Dogs in the Vineyard, I haven't played it , but I hope to- I've heard nothing but good things.

TheLHF

Retired User
The rift between the denominations is caused by both, actually. (We cut it down to two denominations to keep it simple.) The country was recently invaded by a Roman like empire from over the mountains. When they invaded, they removed the larger denomination from power, replacing it with the smaller denomination. The characters are all part of the larger group, so there is both a power struggle and some major arguments about how the religious text has been interpreted.

If you're anywhere near Sacramento, CA, I could run a Dogs game for you. If not, check out www.indie-rpgs.com and http://findplay.anvilwerks.com/ and see if anyone is playing in your area.

--Victor

Tom_K

Validated User
Unfortunatly I am on the other coast. I will check out those webstes, thanks.

Top Bottom