• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dogs in the Vineyard - tips for playing it today?

vini_lessa

Validated User
How people play it nowadays? Any tweaks or house rules to make the game run smoother? Or are the default rules good? I've never played it BTW, but know how it works and find it very interesting.

Oh, also, it seems Vincent Baker pulled it off from shelves because he was unsatisfied with something? Why is that? Anything in the game he thought deserved streamlining or tweaking?

Doc_Chronos

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There is a generic retro clone entitled Dogs available at Drivethrurpg. Made with Vincent Baker's blessing.

filigree

or thereabouts
Validated User
I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the issue there might have been to do with the game’s premise. A ‘with the benefit of hindsight’ kind of deal.

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Vincent seems to have just become fed up with the colonialism inherent in Western settings.

vini_lessa

Validated User
I can respect that, even if I find the setting perfect for what the game tries to do.

How about rules, any popular tweaks out there? Anyone tried tinkering with the fallout rules to avoid people accumulating those d4s traits like crazy ? XD

Oh, and how about playbooks? Separate playbooks for each of the five backgrounds, with each dice spread , would be cool. Anyone did this already?

MeMeMe

Validated User
There is a generic retro clone entitled Dogs available at Drivethrurpg. Made with Vincent Baker's blessing.
I don't think that should be taken as an endorsement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was just the case of the designer saying, "Vincent, I'd like to make a generic version of Dogs," and Vincent - not having seen the rules- going, "Go ahead!"

Vincent Baker is very keen on people taking his things and using them however they want.

Also, "retro clone" ? I'm already being nitpicky, so I shall continue. It's just a clone, there's nothing retro about it.

I do have a copy of Dogs, and I'm not impressed. I dont know why you would use it over original DitV. It removes the town/adventure creation section, the most important part of the game, and doesnt replace it with anything. That's a serious failing IMO. Youre left with the basic character design and conflict resolution system, which might be enough to run a game (lots of games do exactly this), but its missing out a big chunk of what makes DITV games sing.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
It's available, which DitV isn't unless you're getting a pirate copy or finding one on eBay. But I agree that the lack of town creation or a reasonable facsimile is a serious flaw.

Broda

Validated User
I can respect that, even if I find the setting perfect for what the game tries to do.

How about rules, any popular tweaks out there? Anyone tried tinkering with the fallout rules to avoid people accumulating those d4s traits like crazy ? XD

Oh, and how about playbooks? Separate playbooks for each of the five backgrounds, with each dice spread , would be cool. Anyone did this already?

I found a bunch of fan stuff somewhere last year. I can't remember where.

Now that I think of it, it may have been a few different sites, and may have involved the use of the Wayback Machine.

Samachadreal

Validated User
Here's the Dogs stuff I've collected. There's the 'playbook' character sheets for each background, a couple of towns, A conflict sheet and a gm sheet tuned to run a one-shot but has other general information. I'm not sure the origin of most of it as it's been a few years. The Fort Lemon town writeup is from Jason Morningstar if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom