• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dogs in the Vineyard - tips for playing it today?

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
About a minute after I posted that I got a phone call from a number in Utah.

It was just some guy trying to sell me solar panels, but still.

Weird.

vini_lessa

Validated User
About a minute after I posted that I got a phone call from a number in Utah.
:oops:

:ROFLMAO:

Strong History: 11d6 in Stat Dice; 1d4 2d6 1d8 2d10 in Trait Dice; 1d4 2d6 1d8 in Relationship Dice
Complicated History: 13d6 in Stat Dice; 2d4 1d6 2d8 1d10 in Trait Dice; 3d6 1d8 in Relationship Dice
Well-Rounded: 15d6 in Stat Dice; 1d4 2d6 2d8 in Trait Dice; 2d6 1d8 in Relationship Dice
Strong Community: 11d6 in Stat Dice; 1d4 4d6 1d8 in Trait Dice; 2d6 2d8 2d10 in Relationship Dice
Cat, you forgot the Complicated Community background. Was it on purpose? I mean, it seems the most... complicated background.

Edit: Oh, you also forgot Belongings. Should they stay the same? THanks!

Last edited:

Aviatrix

Validated User
Ah man, I'll have to see if I can find the original then. My hack was pretty skeletal (though I'm moderately proud of the town system I made for it.)

vini_lessa

Validated User
But how committed was he to selling you solar panels, really? :)
Raise: "If you buy a solar panel now, you also receive an amazing self-recharging shocker device for domestic protection, free of charge."

Ah man, I'll have to see if I can find the original then. My hack was pretty skeletal (though I'm moderately proud of the town system I made for it.)
No fuss, I think I can deduce the numbers from the others. But how about this new town system? Tell us more about it!

Aviatrix

Validated User
:oops:

:ROFLMAO:

Cat, you forgot the Complicated Community background. Was it on purpose? I mean, it seems the most... complicated background.

Edit: Oh, you also forgot Belongings. Should they stay the same? THanks!
Ah! I found it, it was on the next page in my hack!

Complicated Community 13d6 in Stat Dice; 1d4 4d6 4d8 in Trait Dice; 2d4 1d6 1d8 1d10 in Relationship Dice.

Also I found the place I turned these up--check out this Story Games thread. Looks like it was from the guys who did Witch: the Road to Lindisfarne, one of my favorite games (and an influence on my own game.) This link will take you directly to the files.

Aviatrix

Validated User
No fuss, I think I can deduce the numbers from the others. But how about this new town system? Tell us more about it!
So the basic idea was that instead of Demonic Influence I had Terror, and instead of Dogs' basically linear progression, for the Russian Civil War hack I envisaged a basically circular pattern. It went like this:

TERROR
…leads to…
WANT (manifests as GREED)
…leads to…
DISSENT (Disorder, acts of rebellion)
…leads to…
CONSPIRACY(led by a TRAITOR who utilizes Terror)
…leads to…
REBELLION AND REACTION
…leads to…
TERROR

The key to it was that Terror always leads to more Terror; you can't utilize the forces of Terror and get peace, just more Terror. The final phase's Reaction was important: when things get too far out of control, somebody will arrive to take care of things, usually permanently, and utilizing the power of Terror.

I had some nice flavor text here:

Terror. The world calls to mind the worst depredations of the Cheka, or of the White Guards leading pogroms or massacring peasants who had “collaborated” (often at gunpoint) with the Reds. But Terror is more than just these acts of state atrocity, more even than the fear of bandits or the plague and famine that stalk wherever the armies have been. Terror becomes a way of life, a thick coat of fear that drifts over everything like dust, like black rain, like how depression drowns the mind.

Terror is the fear in the pit of your stomach that tomorrow will be worse than today. Terror is the hunger that gnaws your own stomach as you give your only crust of bread to your daughter. Terror is the knowledge that many of the people you know will not see next spring. Terror is the pure uncertainty that anything you thought was true will remain.

Terror is a cycle that passes through stages, but always returns to terror again: a spreading disease, a dread maelstrom that swamps everything in range, a wheel of fire endlessly turning.
The other key was that the Want, the thing that the town lacked, could change but that it was impossible to remove Want itself: sooner or later it would manifest again, because the world of the game was pretty terrible.

Other than that it was mostly standard town stuff, you can probably guess the parallels in each phase. The Traitor had access to the Terror dice, which basically worked like Demonic Influence. Player Characters could also access Terror, either by developing a relationship with an agent of it (Cheka officer, White partisan leader, local bandit chief) or as a result of fallout from "Denunciation" which replaced Rituals from the original.

Aviatrix

Validated User
Thanks so much! That was the only part to ever be tested, I did a little focus group at Metatopia to make some towns. This project remains a kinda interesting "what-if", there's a lot that's good in it but I just don't think I can actually make it work ethically.

Doing straight Apocalypse World set during the RCW with a few minor changes, that I think I can pull off.

Aviatrix

Validated User
Also the best part of writing the hack was doing research by watching Soviet movies set during the period, which included some of the best "Osterns" (like Westerns, but set in the East as it were.) In the Ostern category, "At Home Among Strangers, A Stranger To His Own" and "White Sun of the Desert" were both really good, especially the latter; a screening of it is still a cosmonaut ritual the night before launch. Other good ones were the chilling "Commissar" (suppressed for over 20 years in the USSR) and "The 41st" (about a sniper woman who falls in love with the one person she failed to hit.)

Top Bottom