• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dolemite is My Name! I am hype!

Slickpuppy

Another Gentleman Loser
Validated User
Okay, at first this looked like Murphy doing a blaxploitation parody/tribute, ala I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. But an actual biopic about Rudy Ray Moore? With a screenplay by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski? Sold! This could be a serious comeback role for Eddie Murphy if it works out.

Isator Levie

Validated User
It's interesting, I happened to see an early animatic of Shrek with Murphy acting against Chris Farley just a couple of days before knowing about this, and it reminded me of how good he can be when he's on point. It made me pine a bit.

Having something like this seems like it will hit the spot nicely.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
I mean, if the question is "how stylish is this" sure.

As far as I know, ain't nobody walking up to Ed Wood going "thank you for featuring people that look like me in film". Maybe that never literally happened, but I suspect it captures a genuine sentiment in the film's original viewers.

I just read that Snoop Dogg attributes his musical style and persona to Rudy Ray Moore, so I suppose that it means something to him to have any part in the guy's biopic.

Personally, I'm rather enamoured of that 1970s Afro-American style and attitude. I've had a mild want to see more of the films from that era, so seeing a film about the creation and cultural context of them is kind of a bonus.
I've had this discussion with people, that Blaxploitation wasn't just jive talking and big hair, but that it was a black-driven and empowered movement and gotten blank stares in return... so having a funny and stylish biopic to point those people to will be good.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
It's times like these that remind me that Eddie Murphy is legitimately one of the great actors of our times. The man deserves a legitimate oscar win.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I've had this discussion with people, that Blaxploitation wasn't just jive talking and big hair, but that it was a black-driven and empowered movement and gotten blank stares in return
It puts me in mind of a comment that Dan Olson once made about pulp media; that it's made with so little oversight and workshopping might be associated with putting out product that is lurid and appeals to the common denominator because it generally is, but it's also an environment that is often more free to experiment and explore spaces that more rigorous executive control would often shy away from, and that can produce some valuable at in its own right as well as being a place where traditionally marginalized voices can find their expression.

That and something that gets purpose-built to appeal to a demographic, and then it... does just that, and they adopt it and control it and refine it to become their own.

That's a background that is compelling to me, although there are also other elements. Part of it is truly looking to see people and styles and outlooks that are not my own, a thing that is both personally enriching and gratifying to get a sense of how they are appealing to others. I've watched media in which a part of my enjoyment for it has come from a sense of empathy for the people who will have a more personal connection to it, if that makes any sense.

Still, a lot of that is ultimately supplemental. At the core, there's not a rational explanation emerging or elaborating on a deeper worldview; it's just a structure and style and attitude that I find enjoyable. It's the kind of thing that I've found enjoyable ever since I was a young child and late night Cartoon Network would go and run sequences of Hanna Barbera cartoons cut together with clips taken from blaxploitation films. I had no idea what it meant at the time, but the people and situations in those clips seemed pretty cool.

Anybody else from the UK remember that? Went by the title "AKA Cartoon Network"? Only ran for about a year at the end of the last century. I'll tell you, it was a trip.

Top Bottom