Dominion Rules Fantasy Role-Playing

Chris J

Validated User
Dominion Rules Fantasy Role-Playing

There's one short/vague review on rpg.net.

It looks interesting (and it is free). All I know so far after reading it is that it's packed with everything and operates on a 1d12 roll low mechanic.

Has anyone heard/played this?

EDIT: Link: http://dominionrules.org/

Last edited:

westward3

Retired User
It's been around ten years or more though it went dark for a while about 5 years ago. It's back now, though. I know people who have played it and when they've been unclear about a rule they've just emailed the author or posted on the forums and got answers, which is nice.

There's more information about it in wikipedia.

akajdrakeh

Pronounced 'akkadrakka'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's very reminiscent of AD&D, to me. That said, it's also a tighter rule set. I haven't played with the new rules yet, but played version. . . two, I think. . . several years ago. I actually prefer it to many commercial systems, but getting people to play free RPGs has been pretty hard, IME.

Last edited:

Oyah

Retired User
I actually prefer it to many commercial systems, but getting people to play free RPGs has been pretty hard, IME.
It's true. People seem to think you get what you pay for, so if you don't pay you get nothing. But that review I linked to from the Free RPG Blog is very positive. Actually there are a lot of good free RPGs out there. The Free RPG Blog is a great source for them, by the way.

mediapig

Validated User
Not sure if this is the review you read or not, but I reviewed an older set of the dominion rules here:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9525.phtml

I really liked the rule set, and especially the grass roots "do it yourself" feel of the system. Like D&D, it is fairly generic, but also does contain trappings of an "assumed world" of sorts.

xenongames

Roleplayer
Validated User
People seem to think you get what you pay for, so if you don't pay you get nothing.
I own far more rpgs than I can possibly play. And even then, I'm probably the only person in my group who owns it and would have to run it. There are plenty of free rpgs which I'd like to (or be willing to) play. There are fewer that I'd like to run. In the case of Dominion, it is yet another fantasy rpg in a D&D mold that fails to distinguish itself from all the other games in my collection. Since I'm already running a fantasy campaign (using Savage Worlds), I have even less incentive to run Dominion. But if someone in my group wants to step up and run it, I'd be game.

Top Bottom