Dominion Rules Fantasy Role-Playing

Thunderstone!

(Which is kinda like fantasy roleplaying with Dominion's rules. Sigh. Getting my coat.)
Really? It works with Dominion?
That's great news. All this little gem needs is some good PR, some incentive for people to take a second look at it.

I have Dominion. Never played it, it just sits there on my HD, looking at me with puppy-eyes..:(
But it appears to be a rock-solid set of rules. It deserves mention here. This is a Good Thread:)

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
It's true. People seem to think you get what you pay for, so if you don't pay you get nothing.
I get that. It's just in my case I don't own a recent edition of D&D or WFRP or the like so if I were to want a fantasy RPG to play, I'd probably try Dominion rather than invest in something else. It looks good and reads well which puts it a cut, possibly several, above most of the free games out there. (Many of which are really just D&D with the numbers filed off, IMO).

beholdsa

Tab Creations
Validated User
Really? It works with Dominion?
That's great news. All this little gem needs is some good PR, some incentive for people to take a second look at it.

I have Dominion. Never played it, it just sits there on my HD, looking at me with puppy-eyes..:(
But it appears to be a rock-solid set of rules. It deserves mention here. This is a Good Thread:)
I think there is some confusion here between Dominion the deck-building card game and Dominion the RPG. Thunderstone is a card game that's mechanically a lot like Dominion the card game. No relation to the RPG, AFAIK.

Oyah

Retired User
One thing about DR is that it's just the rules system--there's no campaign setting (or "dominion", as they call it). It's the rules for playing in dominions, but you make up the dominion yourself. Some people may find that disappointing, because they want a ready-made world to play in. But some people just want good rules, unburdened by world-specific factors such as character races, monetary units, backstory, etc.

Related to this is that DR is totally modular. If you want historical roleplaying instead of fantasy roleplaying, you just drop the magic and priest rules out. That doesn't mess up the rest of the system at all. Likewise you can allow priest rules without magic, or magic without fantasy creatures, or any other combination you can think of. It's extremely flexible that way.

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
I downloaded it a few years ago and gave it a look. A few things looked kinda bad and nothing looked especially interesting, so I saw no reason to use it over any of the commercial games I already had - it being free might be an argument if I didn't already have any other fantasy RPGs that *d already paid for but I did and still do.

It might not be bad overall but with all the truly excellent fantasy RPGs around, merely being "not bad" just doesn't cut it for me even if it's free.

It might not be bad overall but with all the truly excellent fantasy RPGs around, merely being "not bad" just doesn't cut it for me even if it's free.
I already have more games than I can play, and I don't need another generic rules-set. However, if someone asked me for a game to try out for free, DR would be one of my recommendations.

Aristarchus

Retired User
This is a very tight ruleset. The concepts undergirding the magic and priestcraft systems are delightfully refreshing to me.

I do think the system would benefit from player aids, such as physical manipulatives for choosing combat actions. So I designed and posted some drafts over at http://rpg.geekdo.com/rpgitem/53195/dominion-rules-3-x-rulebook.

Unfortunately, I just can't get this to the table. I do very little tabletop RPG'ing anymore as it is. But if I could, I'd like to revisit Middle Earth using this ruleset instead of the Rolemaster-light rules ICE provided.

The other ruleset I'd like to get to the table is Time & Temp (http://dig1000holes.wordpress.com/time-temp/). Alas...

Top Bottom