• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Don't Rest Your Head . . .

Uruush

Validated User
Just bought the DRYH pdf, finished my first readthru, and bought the softcopy as well. I've been working (off and on for the last year), on a horror-tinged magical realism campaign using FATE. I'm going to switch it to DRYH, and I just wanted to express my appreciation for this work here.

I'm in a group that pretty much only plays d20 and my search for a group that will play any of the score of small press RPGs I've purchased in the last three years continues in earnest. I may never get to run DRYH, but I'll continue to enjoy working on the campaign with these new mechanics, and it's a thing of beauty, design-wise.

I hope it finds a measure of financial success at least partially comensurate with its brilliance.

Thanks, Mr. Hicks.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Uruush said:
Just bought the DRYH pdf, finished my first readthru, and bought the softcopy as well. I've been working (off and on for the last year), on a horror-tinged magical realism campaign using FATE. I'm going to switch it to DRYH, and I just wanted to express my appreciation for this work here.

I'm in a group that pretty much only plays d20 and my search for a group that will play any of the score of small press RPGs I've purchased in the last three years continues in earnest. I may never get to run DRYH, but I'll continue to enjoy working on the campaign with these new mechanics, and it's a thing of beauty, design-wise.

I hope it finds a measure of financial success at least partially comensurate with its brilliance.
Don't Rest Your Head's sold about 150 copies which, for a teeny little publisher like Evil Hat, is pretty huge. Thanks for your well wishes, and let us know how your attempts to adapt your campaign work out!

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
iago said:
Cost me around $20, and I can use 'em for a bunch of other games, too -- and that's just going on the assumption of the GM providing all the dice. In games we've run locally, it's been half and half.
I don't play HERO or d6, in fact the most d6s I roll at a time come in the form of Wushu. Buying all those dice will be pretty worthless to me, especially since when I need lots of d6s, I already HAVE lots of d6s (I collected dice for a time). I just don't have that many of the same color. You see my point? It turns this little $10 game into a $30 investment.

Now, there are other factors leading to my non-purchase, such as not being able to find players (for anything outside of D&D & WoD). But even if I had players, would this particular game be worth the investment when I could just get another game I already have the dice for? The premise is intriging, but all those dice...

I've bought Fudge dice before to be able to play a specific game, but decided that I shouldn't ever buy specialized dice again without a damn good reason.

Do you need a game to be 100% on-target, or just partially? It might be worth checking out, at least at the sale price. Ends shortly after Friday...! ;)
I'm just not sure I want to spend $30 on your game, sorry.

ZombieButch

Only mostly dead
Validated User
cjh said:
Well, knowing what I was getting myself into...I plunked down for the PDF. Worse comes to worse, I can always convert to a system that I like a bit more.
I got my copy in from Lulu today and, since I lack the requisite number and color of d6's, I'll probably be doing the same before long if it really strikes a chord with me.

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
Is the limit to the amount of pain a nightmare that was a PC will have limited by the actual dice rolled by the PC, or the number of dice in the PCs roll after Hope and Despair coins are taken into account? If the former, the Pain of that nightmare can be no higher than 15 (I think). If that latter, there is no practical limit to how high the pain of a particular nightmare might be.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Simple Man said:
I'm just not sure I want to spend $30 on your game, sorry.
Then please don't! I'd only really want someone to buy the game if they're genuinely interested in it. You're not, and that's fine.

Though, again, I'd like to make the point that the $20 on dice that I talked about is assuming that your entire seven-person (!) playgroup lacks the necessary d6es. The bricks I talked about are enough to supply a 6-man protagonist squad plus a GM. $20 / 7 = about $3 per person, if folks were willing to go that way.

Now, I also wasn't writing with the assumption that someone would HAVE to buy that many dice. I already owned the requisite quantities, and I've known a ton of RPGers who own at least enough to build their own player's set.

The color, too, is optional. So long as a player can keep 3 to 15 d6es of his own in three discrete piles, and keep track of what each one represents, it's not a big deal.

Though like I said -- if it doesn't strike your fancy to give it a whirl, don't! The world is a big place, and there are plenty of games in it. Get the ones you *want*. :)

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Particle_Man said:
Is the limit to the amount of pain a nightmare that was a PC will have limited by the actual dice rolled by the PC, or the number of dice in the PCs roll after Hope and Despair coins are taken into account?
Good question! I hadn't realized that Hope and Despair would muddy those particular waters.

Okay, so you're asking because Hope can add a '1' (success) into someone's die pool, and Despair can add or remove a '6' (failure/dominance). More accurately, these things are adding the 'idea' of such a die, rather than the actual die, to the results of the roll. I'm instead talking about actual 'physical' (not virtual) dice when saying that a PC's current number of dice equals their pain as a Nightmare.

If the former, the Pain of that nightmare can be no higher than 15 (I think).
You are correct.

If that latter, there is no practical limit to how high the pain of a particular nightmare might be.
It's intentionally capped at 15.

A protagonist in his eleventh hour, at his full power -- 3 discipline, 6 exhaustion, and 6 madness -- totals 15. The Awake are actually some of the most powerful people in the setting -- under the right circumstances.

Consider that even Mother When -- who's potentially an incarnation of death -- only hits Pain 12. And Officer Tock, for that matter, but only at 13 o'clock, with a warrant, inside of District 13.

Pain levels 13, 14, and 15 are essentially "reserved" (the way I've designed things) to be the home of those most terrible of Nightmares...

... the former player characters of past games. :)

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
I'm really impressed by this game - even the delivery. Ordered it shipped to the UK by the cheapest economy mail option and still recieved it just over a week later. I like Lulu. :)

But the game itself has exceeded my expectations - to be honest, when I heard the setting premise it didn't strike an automatic chord with me, but once I got the game I found it inspired a whole host of ideas and inspiration. It's a really flexible setting presentation, more a collection of ideas and possibilities than a canonical approach. I'm planning on twisting things to add a stronger Naked Lunch/Jacob's Ladder kind of vibe for example, and I'll probably end up picking and choosing the setting elements me and the other players like - which, from how the game reads, seems like the intention anyway, for the players to take the setting and run with it.

I absolutely love the system and despite being firmly focused on the setting it seems surprisingly adaptable - change Exhaustion and Madness dice to something else, rethink where Talents come from and tinker with the power levels and you could use the system for superhero games where power comes with a risk, a Mage game with Madness (or Exhaustion?) replaced by Paradox, a Silent Hill game... really lots of settings.

What I didn't expect was how focused the game's writing is. The questionnaire-like character sheet is awesome for focusing a group on relevant issues to explore and the section relating these questions to the game is one of the clearest and easily-digestible sections I've read - explicitly connecting the questions with flashbacks, opening scene, trajectory, etc. clarifies their use wonderfully and introduces things like kickers in the most unintimidating way I've seen. It reminds me of Dogs in the Vineyard in the way the writing presents a step by step recipe for putting a game together.

Overall, DRYH just clicked with me. Gone straight to the top of my next-game-to-run list. :)

Scott Dorward

Cow Pimp
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Tancred said:
What I didn't expect was how focused the game's writing is. The questionnaire-like character sheet is awesome for focusing a group on relevant issues to explore and the section relating these questions to the game is one of the clearest and easily-digestible sections I've read - explicitly connecting the questions with flashbacks, opening scene, trajectory, etc. clarifies their use wonderfully and introduces things like kickers in the most unintimidating way I've seen. It reminds me of Dogs in the Vineyard in the way the writing presents a step by step recipe for putting a game together.
Seconded. There aren't many game books I sit down and read cover-to-cover, cooing over all the great ideas, but this was one. Like Dogs and The Mountain Witch, DRYH takes a lot of hairy game theory and makes it into something very cool and practical.

The tight focus of the game, with its integration of premise, background and mechanics, is near perfect. There's not a wasted word in there, which is something I've come to cherish in RPGs. The setting has just enough to run with, while leaving plenty of room to make it your own, and the Doom Patrol vibe in particular is calling to me. It's now demanding to be played or GMed.

Tancred said:
Overall, DRYH just clicked with me. Gone straight to the top of my next-game-to-run list. :)
Damn, you really need to find a way to get up to Milton Keynes on a regular basis. ;) Maybe if you can make it to the next CONcrete Cow (some time in October, probably -- date to be confirmed soon) I could twist your arm into running this!

Top Bottom