Don't Rest Your Head . . .

ZombieButch

Only mostly dead
Validated User
Interesting... I might have to pick this one up, if only to read it.

Balbinus said:
While I'm querying, what's lulu like? I've never used that, any pitfalls to be aware of?
I've only picked up one book from them so far - Risus Excessively Deluxe - and it's a sturdy, perfectly serviceable perfect-bound book. Quality paper, the blacks are printed nice and black. No complaints here.

Antiquary

Validated User
I bought the PDF version of Don't Rest Your Head and had no problems.
Still reading it but the first impression is very good.

Andy K

I Like Games
Validated User
palehorse said:
I've only picked up one book from them so far - Risus Excessively Deluxe - and it's a sturdy, perfectly serviceable perfect-bound book. Quality paper, the blacks are printed nice and black. No complaints here.
Sidetrack for one sec: I've had NOTHING but excellent service from Lulu, but when I bought the Risus book (not Deluxe or Excessively Deluxe) I was told there was a problem with the file, it coudln't be printed, that the author was contacted and my money was refunded. I kinda wish there was a way to tell if it was back up for real or not (maybe I'll just try to buy it again).

And as for Don't Rest Your Head: I simply love the layout and the evocative pictures and text. It's really solid. I'd say it's like Lacuna and Dead Inside got in a fistfight for supremacy, and DRYH emerged.

It's niche, but it's fucking awesome solid niche.

-Andy

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
philreed said:
Okay, a quick scan through the book tells me that I'm gonna like this . . . a lot. It's got the Dark City/Neverwhere vibe that I hinted at in vs. Monsters (with The Misters) and I instantly thought of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol as I was reading (and imagine my lack of shock when Doom Patrol was listed in the inspiration section).

I need to read closer (I skipped to the setting and haven't even looked at the mechanics yet) but so far I'm gonna rank this pretty high on the "Must Buy" meter.
Phil, you completely rock. Thanks for starting this thread. :)

I'm glad the setting hit the buttons and reminiscences you were thinking of before you got to the inspirations section and confirmed them. And moreover, I'm thrilled that the setting worked for you independent of the mechanics! I'm something of a system wonk, so I have lots of adequacy issues whenever it comes to setting creation. Your comments are a big confidence-booster.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
laffingboy said:
But when're they publishing Spirit of the Century?! When when when WHEN WHEN!!

C'MON, NOW!
Soon, as in within the next couple months. Editing's been taking a while longer than anticipated, as has art, and seeing as it's going to clock in around 300-400 pages in 6x9 format, the typesetting isn't going to be cheap on time consumption either. But, the writing is all done, so it's really just a matter of going through the heavy lifting.

Don't Rest Your Head does look really cool, though. I like that musician sample character they posted.
Heh. That musician sample character is the protagonist I'm playing in a local game of Don't Rest Your Head that a friend's running. It worked out really well. :)

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Andy K said:
Sidetrack for one sec: I've had NOTHING but excellent service from Lulu, but when I bought the Risus book (not Deluxe or Excessively Deluxe) I was told there was a problem with the file, it coudln't be printed, that the author was contacted and my money was refunded. I kinda wish there was a way to tell if it was back up for real or not (maybe I'll just try to buy it again).
Yeah. Lulu's great, but as a publisher using them, you definitely need to take the time to get a proof copy ordered, etc, to see if there are any problems before you put the thing on sale. Though I'd expect Mister Ross to have done that, so the problem with Risus is a bit startling!

I did have a few problems with the printing here and there given the excessive blackness that shows up in Don't Rest Your Head, but they're the sort of defects that only enhance the "distressed" appearance of the game, so it's largely something only I would notice.

I've blathered some about my experience with Lulu and the sales process over on my game design blog, which you can get to by following one of the links on the Don't Rest Your Head page, down in the Web Resources section.

And as for Don't Rest Your Head: I simply love the layout and the evocative pictures and text. It's really solid.
Thanks! This was a game where I really decided to pull out all the stops and go for a fairly lush layout and appearance -- I usually go for a more sparse look in my layouts, but Don't Rest Your Head called for a little bit of strutting my stuff.

I "cheated" a little bit with the art, since that's actually some stock photography that I bought and ran through photoshop a few times to produce something that looks like Bradstreet's art from the mid-90's White Wolf stuff ... but damn, if it didn't turn out to hit the exact notes I wanted it to. Kept the production costs on the product down nicely, too.

I'd say it's like Lacuna and Dead Inside got in a fistfight for supremacy, and DRYH emerged.
That's almost EXACTLY what the game is, yeah.

It's niche, but it's fucking awesome solid niche.
Thanks man!

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
I've shamelessly yoinked a few comments people have made in this thread for my Opinions Section -- if you object to me doing so, or want me to change something, please let me know.

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
Balbinus said:
While I'm querying, what's lulu like? I've never used that, any pitfalls to be aware of?
I've ordered a few things a couple of times (Shadow of Yesterday, Donjon, Conspiracy of Shadows) to be shipped to the UK and they've all turned up quickly and in excellent condition. I've had only good experiences with Lulu.

Ordered my copy of the game yesterday - apparently the price goes up a couple of bucks in a week or so, so I thought I'd beat the cut. ;)

Matt.Ceb

WH40k: An unending holy space Brexit. (Nic Rueben)
Validated User
Hmm. I just bought the .dpf ... Will start reading it now. And then post my review here. :) ... Fred? Thank Phil for this. His description made me curious and your site sold me.

If I should like it... I will spread the word here. :)

Top Bottom