• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Don't Rest Your Spirit of the Century

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Answer these three Little Questions:

What's your name?

What do you look like?

What's your shtick?

Answer these five Big Questions:

"Why do you risk death?"

"What just happened?"

"What do you stand for?"

"What made you who you are?"

"What is your fate?"

Pick your Responses (3 total between the following):
Violence --- Take violent action to deal with your situation.
Escape--- Take dramatic action to escape your situation.

Describe your DANGER talent (something normal you do extraordinarily well)

Describe your WEIRDNESS talent (something abnormal, superhuman, or strange that sets you apart from ordinary people)

The Dice Pools

MENACE!--- the GM's dice used to represent the threat and resistance implicit in a scene. If it WINS, the GM says what happens. If it DOMINATES, then the situation GETS WORSE somehow, and the GM gets a COIN OF PERIL.

DARING! --- All heroes get 3 dice of Daring... its the core of awesome that makes them heroes rather than ordinary people.

DANGER! --- risking death and certain doom- skirting the razor's edge- is the thing which drives heroes on to greater and greater things, but beware, because sometimes DANGER catches up with even the greatest hero. If it DOMINATES, the Players gets another DANGER die, and things get crazier and more dangerous. A minor use of a DANGER talent makes the minimum successes you can roll equal to DANGER. A major use of a DANGER talent adds a DANGER die, and automatic successes equal to DANGER.

If you get more than 6 DANGER dice, you suffer a CRASH- literally some kind of huge disaster, resulting in a Cliffhanger Ending.

WEIRDNESS! --- transcending the limits of the merely human, and risking losing touch with what it even means to be human. If WEIRDNESS dominates, check off a Response and act accordingly. If you have no responses left, convert one of your Daring dice into a permanent WEIRDNESS die. A minor use of a WEIRDNESS talent adds 1 or 2 dice. A Major one adds 3 or 4 dice. A crazy use adds 5 or 6 dice.

If you run out of DARING dice, you become a Menace to Humanity.

Example character:

Dr. Gordon Argent AKA Doc Gorilla

Looks like... a surprisingly erudite, enormous, savage, proto-gorilla with pants, goggles, and a utility belt.

His shtick is... fighting gorilla science hero

"Why do you risk death?"
To expand the outer realms of what is known into the dark regions of ignorance and superstition.

"What just happened?"
The floor collapsed and I fell and fell and fell into blackness, landing in water up to my waste.

"What do you stand for?"
Man's ability to overcome his savage roots and achieve enlightenment through reason. Also, for clobbering evil.

"What made you who you are?"
The twisted experiments of debased pre-human beings from the darkness of deep time.

"What is your fate"
I will die fighting the Army of Renunciation in the ruins of New York.

DANGER Talent: Encyclopedic Knowledge of Prehuman and Forbidden Secrets

MADNESS Talent: Enormous Savage Proto-Gorilla.

RESPONSES: 3 Violent, 0 Escape

-B

Last edited:

CaffeineBoy

Vaguely sinister...
Validated User
[whipcrack!] [whipcrack!]

Back in your cage, Bailywolf! Back to work on Candlewick!

Mutter... mutter... like I don't have *enough* musing to do on my *own* hacks of Spirit of the Century... mutter... mixing in DRYH... mutter... *bastard*...

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
This is sick and twisted and worthy of my love.

It has my love.

Bonus points if you can work Aspects into it somehow.

Plus: your "four big questions" is followed by a list of five questions. You're trying to mess with my mind, Methuselah! It won't work!

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is sick and twisted and worthy of my love.

It has my love.

Bonus points if you can work Aspects into it somehow.

Plus: your "four big questions" is followed by a list of five questions. You're trying to mess with my mind, Methuselah! It won't work!
Damn you and your fancy counting.

Alright... Aspects...

You have Aspects (say, based on SOTC's chargen scheme). They can be invoked, compelled, and tagged as per normal. Doing so costs you a coin from the Hero bowl. If the GM uses one against you, it costs a Peril coin, and gives you a Hero coin.

Mechanically, Aspects allow or force you to reroll one of your pools, taking the new result. Each also comes with a dose of added narration.

"With a surge of furious strength I break the robot's hold!" and reroll DANGER.

-B

Scurve

Bwah.
Why settle for making aspects through phases when you can just take one for each question? If that's too many, then just one for each big question. If that's too few, then just one for every question and take two extra aspects from thin air.

Bonus points if the aspect is just an underlined phrase in the answer to a question.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Why settle for making aspects through phases when you can just take one for each question? If that's too many, then just one for each big question. If that's too few, then just one for every question and take two extra aspects from thin air.

Bonus points if the aspect is just an underlined phrase in the answer to a question.
Right!

You could even -- instead of "thin air" -- treat the Talents as aspects as well as their normal functions, and thus have a nice total of 7 at your disposal. That's not bad. :)

Scurve

Bwah.
Ooooo. Compelling talents! I like. Hard to see how some weirdness talents might be compelled though (like Preparedness.)

Adding the aspects with their own little peril/heroism economy must do some weird things to the flavor. Less GM reliance on menace, maybe? I wonder how much easier it is to pick up the pieces (regain Daring & responses) if you just take the compels for loads of Hope? Guess it depends on how hard compels hit, which look like they could go either way, right now, with just a reroll.

Looks like I'll have to try it in play!

Last edited:

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I could go either way on generating Aspects... I just love the SOTC chargen phases so much.

Rather than Scars, you'd have TITLES- the name of the book or story the experience is being drawn from. When you get a new Title, name it based on what's been happening.

"DOC GORILLA AND THE SANDS OF TIME"

Each gives you a freebie re-roll once per session- for any pool, including Pain.

-B

Top Bottom