• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Doom Patrol Season 1 Discussion Thread

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting episode. Provides a lot of backstory for Caulder, but doesn't really map to anything in the comics that I can uncover. The Beard Hunter that shows up in the B Plot is very different from the one in the comics, but still maintains the high weirdness factor.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting episode. Provides a lot of backstory for Caulder, but doesn't really map to anything in the comics that I can uncover. The Beard Hunter that shows up in the B Plot is very different from the one in the comics, but still maintains the high weirdness factor.
It definitely seems to be headed into uncharted territory. I couldn't quite place the Niles stand in at the end either (or the large antlered creature).

Liberator

Rollin' Dice
Validated User
<leans in>

Go on...
Ok...so....yah....wow.

A long time ago, a wee tiny Liberator was rummaging through his grandmas attic...the way you do when left to your own devices when you're like...6. And I come across my first three comic books in a box of my Uncles stuff: Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, and The Metal Men. Since then..those three titles have been a bit of an obsession for me.

The Morrison run of DP is one of my favorite things ever. And now...this show...this show right here....it feels like it was written for me. Everything fits in my head as to how it should look and sound. Who knew Brendan Fraser would make such a damn good Robotman? And Diane Guerrero...are you kidding me? RIDICULOUS as Crazy Jane. Flat out amazing.

When I saw the teaser with Timothy Dalton as the chief I was skeptical....but now...not so skeptical.

I will say one thing- I don't think they can sustain it for more than maybe 2 seasons. And I don't think I, personally mind you, need a whole ton of episodes.

The karaoke scene...so uplifting and light and then so gut-wrenching. Danny the Street- perfect, Animal/Vegetable/Mineral Man...again...over the top..perfect.

Disappointed in the Beard Hunter but not everything is going to hit the mark.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ok...so....yah....wow.

A long time ago, a wee tiny Liberator was rummaging through his grandmas attic...the way you do when left to your own devices when you're like...6. And I come across my first three comic books in a box of my Uncles stuff: Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, and The Metal Men. Since then..those three titles have been a bit of an obsession for me.

The Morrison run of DP is one of my favorite things ever. And now...this show...this show right here....it feels like it was written for me. Everything fits in my head as to how it should look and sound. Who knew Brendan Fraser would make such a damn good Robotman? And Diane Guerrero...are you kidding me? RIDICULOUS as Crazy Jane. Flat out amazing.

When I saw the teaser with Timothy Dalton as the chief I was skeptical....but now...not so skeptical.

I will say one thing- I don't think they can sustain it for more than maybe 2 seasons. And I don't think I, personally mind you, need a whole ton of episodes.

The karaoke scene...so uplifting and light and then so gut-wrenching. Danny the Street- perfect, Animal/Vegetable/Mineral Man...again...over the top..perfect.

Disappointed in the Beard Hunter but not everything is going to hit the mark.
YES. Let it all hang out.

I absolutely feel the same way about the karaoke scene. I was like "This is it! He's making the first step towards healing and self-acceptance! SO AWE--<record scratch sound effect> Well fuck."

I have an odd relationship with the Doom Patrol, in that up until a week or so ago, I had never read any single issue of a Doom Patrol comic. No, not even that one. But they have long fascinated me nonetheless. I was an avid comics collector in my teens and early 20s, roughly the time period of 1979 to 1989. But I spent most of that reading Marvel titles. X-Men and ROM and Ghost Rider were my jams. Had no interest in DC at all until around 1986, which is about the time Alan Moore really blew up with Swamp Thing and Watchmen.

And somehow, I'm still not entirely sure how, I gained the impression that the Doom Patrol were "weird". Only...nobody could define "weird" in this context. (Probably because at that point the Doom Patrol was a team that had died 15 years previously so nobody had recent issues to hand.) But everybody said that the team was "weird" and their villains were "weird" and their stories were supposed to be "offbeat", and I developed a deep and abiding curiosity about what, exactly, that meant.

And then, in 1990, I pretty much abandoned comics altogether. (They were a significant drain on my income, you see. I was spending as much money on comics every month as I was spending on rent. And the X-Men had gotten REALLY Soap Opera-y by that point, so I just bailed on the whole enterprise.) Which meant that I missed the Morrison run on the Doom Patrol.

But the curiosity remained. And now here we are 30 years later and I'm finally getting to scratch that itch.

I liked the Beard Hunter adaption for the TV show. I don't think the "Punisher Clone" Beard Hunter would've worked nearly as well. But they still kept him weird. The scene of him eating the drain goop gave me the willies something fierce. And all those close-ups of his lips and his tongue and his eyeballs... *shudder* Very well-done, very much in keeping with the tone of the show so far, even if it's not true to the comic. They seem to be going for "Grant-Morrison-flavored Doom Patrol" rather than "Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol", and so far it's working.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
It definitely seems to be headed into uncharted territory. I couldn't quite place the Niles stand in at the end either (or the large antlered creature).
I have a theory about that. Putting behind spoilers because, well potential spoilers.

Spoiler: Show
In the Grant Morrison comics there is a character called Dorothy Spinner.

She's a little girl with an ape face who has the ability to summon her imaginary friends to life.

Now in the most recent episode, we saw in the past Niles spent time up North with a Cave woman with the power to summon and control a Wendigo like creature.

I was about to say this cavewoman was this verison of Dorothy Spinner, but I decided not to because, considering the Comic Dorothy is a little girl that would be... ugh no thanks. Got enough of that from Jane's backstory.

But this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks. We saw that Niles and the Cavewoman were lovers, so in this continuity Dorothy is Niles and the Cavewoman's daughter. With the same powers as mom. The fake Niles and the Wendigo that killed the Beard Hunter are obviously Dorothy's friends that she brought to life (The Wendigo she gets from her mother, and the fake Niles was a pastiche made from accounts of Niles from her mom.)

Liberator

Rollin' Dice
Validated User
I have a theory about that. Putting behind spoilers because, well potential spoilers.

In the Grant Morrison comics there is a character called Dorothy Spinner.

She's a little girl with an ape face who has the ability to summon her imaginary friends to life.

Now in the most recent episode, we saw in the past Niles spent time up North with a Cave woman with the power to summon and control a Wendigo like creature.

I was about to say this cavewoman was this verison of Dorothy Spinner, but I decided not to because, considering the Comic Dorothy is a little girl that would be... ugh no thanks. Got enough of that from Jane's backstory.

But this morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks. We saw that Niles and the Cavewoman were lovers, so in this continuity Dorothy is Niles and the Cavewoman's daughter. With the same powers as mom. The fake Niles and the Wendigo that killed the Beard Hunter are obviously Dorothy's friends that she brought to life (The Wendigo she gets from her mother, and the fake Niles was a pastiche made from accounts of Niles from her mom.)
I agree with this theory.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, that's some seriously great speculation, and I hope it proves to be true!

My only question about this theory is that the imaginary Niles must somehow be strong enough to attract the Beard Hunter to its location.

Crinos

Validated User
Wow, that's some seriously great speculation, and I hope it proves to be true!

My only question about this theory is that the imaginary Niles must somehow be strong enough to attract the Beard Hunter to its location.
Well, it seems like Mr. Nobody is keeping Niles outside of reality, so its possible that Beard Hunter's powers don't work across dimensions, and so he zeroed in on the dummy Niles because it was the most Niles like thing his beard power could latch onto.

And thank you, I mean like I said, I was laying in bed this morning and it just suddenly hit me. We'll see if I'm right, I think the next few episodes will tell.

Crinos

Validated User
On another note, getting caught up on Doom Patrol inspired me to go read the 2016 Doom Patrol comic on DC Universe.

Its.... out there.

Danny the Street (Who by this point in the comic is a entire amusement park inside a ambulance) has a daughter (Since they have gained the power to just generate people, and one of those people is a super hero), and she gets the daughter of Mr. Nobody (Who has an entirely new team called the Brotherhood of Nada) pregnant, and the baby ends up resetting the continuity in the final issue.

Top Bottom