Doom Patrol Season 1 Discussion Thread

Dave999

Validated User
I wonder why they didn't just use the real one.

It feels like Matt Ryan has developed a Anthony Ainley like love of the role.

rickjthree

Social Justice Sidekick
Validated User
I believe this guy was the first spoof of John following his breakout role in Swamp Thing
Close. Morrsion wanted to use Constantine but there was some sort of embargo between regular DC (which Doom Patrol was at the time) and Vertigo.

So Morrison created Kipling.

Mallus

Validated User
Holy shit. Miss one episode and they bring in Willoughby Kipling - does he have his skeleton arm?

I’m surprised to be saying this, but after three episodes I think Titans is the better show. And for that matter, The Umbrella Academy, too. But scenes like Cliff and Jane painting in the rain and the whole Brokeback Right Stuff storyline of Trainor’s give me hope that Doom Patrol while come out on top. Because Morrison’s Doom Patrol is still my favorite comic.

MadCow

Master of all evil bovine
Validated User
I watched the first two episodes. Originally wanted to only watch the first one due to time constraints... but that ending, lol. Cliff echoed my sentiments exactly so screw sleep and all that, who needs it anyway? :LOL:

Cyborg seems out of place among the rest of the Doom Patrol cast. Competent, veteran crime fighter, so he pretty much stands out. Not sure what the show will do with him, hopefully he won't get Worfed in future episodes. The whole thing with Mr Nobody was really, really creepy and more horror than supers, I went online to look up Mr Nobody but seems like not that much info on him (and the info on his comic book character doesn't appear to fully match this TV show character). At first glance he seems like an overpowered, hyper-intelligent villain who's always two steps ahead of the protagonists but I hope it doesn't turn out that way because so far I've not liked the portrayals of such characters especially in media (e.g. always makes the protagonists seem either incompetent, or turn whatever small wins they get into phallic victories).

Anyways, looking forward to seeing how everything unravels from here on.

Dave999

Validated User
I watched the first two episodes. Originally wanted to only watch the first one due to time constraints... but that ending, lol. Cliff echoed my sentiments exactly so screw sleep and all that, who needs it anyway? :LOL:

Cyborg seems out of place among the rest of the Doom Patrol cast. Competent, veteran crime fighter, so he pretty much stands out. Not sure what the show will do with him, hopefully he won't get Worfed in future episodes. The whole thing with Mr Nobody was really, really creepy and more horror than supers, I went online to look up Mr Nobody but seems like not that much info on him (and the info on his comic book character doesn't appear to fully match this TV show character). At first glance he seems like an overpowered, hyper-intelligent villain who's always two steps ahead of the protagonists but I hope it doesn't turn out that way because so far I've not liked the portrayals of such characters especially in media (e.g. always makes the protagonists seem either incompetent, or turn whatever small wins they get into phallic victories).

Anyways, looking forward to seeing how everything unravels from here on.
I believe Cyborg is that way because if they didn't have the Brock (Venture brothers) they'd either die horribly or just not bother being heroes.

Marcantony

Validated User
Ok, Ill eat my words. I tried it just once more and really enjoyed it.

For some reason the more wierder a show gets, the more I enjoy it.

rickjthree

Social Justice Sidekick
Validated User
I believe Cyborg is that way because if they didn't have the Brock (Venture brothers) they'd either die horribly or just not bother being heroes.
Also, Cyborg being there gives the team a character that is widely recognized (and therefore draws in folks other than the "Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the 3 new fans that stuck around after the donkey fart") and would fit with the "freakish" vibe to the Doom Patrol in a way that most other heroes can't.

Dave999

Validated User
Also, Cyborg being there gives the team a character that is widely recognized (and therefore draws in folks other than the "Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the 3 new fans that stuck around after the donkey fart") and would fit with the "freakish" vibe to the Doom Patrol in a way that most other heroes can't.
But yes, with the way the DP is portrayed as is, Cliff is the only one who wants to be heroic at all right now and portraying him as a failure at that actually leads to his pathos.

He also has Cyborg as a direct contrast.

Mind you, I think we're all in agreement poor Cyborg's stable idealism is going to take a massive hit soon.

Top Bottom