Doom Patrol Season 1 Discussion Thread

Yeoman

Validated User
I believe this guy was the first spoof of John following his breakout role in Swamp Thing
What's weird is he's kinda closer to what Constantine would become than to what Constantine started as in Swamp Thing.
Ok, Ill eat my words. I tried it just once more and really enjoyed it.

For some reason the more wierder a show gets, the more I enjoy it.
Makes it feel more like Doom Patrol. Like how up until now Legion feels like a Doom Patrol series.

But I'll say it... I like this better than Morrison's actual Doom Patrol. This feels like weird for weirdness sake, rather than coming off to me as pretentious and desperately trying to be Saga of the Swamp Thing.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I caught up with episode 4 and 5 today (and was I thankful I could watch them both!!!). I've got to admit that I was sceptical of having Cyborg on the team at first (let's see, Cyborg is in the Justice League, Young Justice Outsiders, now Doom Patrol...basically everything recently released by DC except...the Titans!!! Where he actually belongs) but the character really works in this series because he's your basic superhero who is in way over his head with all of the weirdness the team is facing.

I can't tell you how cool I thought the way they handled the Decreator was. The doctor's group session creating a religious cult in the mental health institute was brilliant. Was that a Morrison storyline or something unique?

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I caught up with episode 4 and 5 today (and was I thankful I could watch them both!!!). I've got to admit that I was sceptical of having Cyborg on the team at first (let's see, Cyborg is in the Justice League, Young Justice Outsiders, now Doom Patrol...basically everything recently released by DC except...the Titans!!! Where he actually belongs) but the character really works in this series because he's your basic superhero who is in way over his head with all of the weirdness the team is facing.

I can't tell you how cool I thought the way they handled the Decreator was. The doctor's group session creating a religious cult in the mental health institute was brilliant. Was that a Morrison storyline or something unique?
the Decreator is indeed a Morrison storyline, and in the comics, was the arc following the introduction of Mr. Nobody and his Brotherhood of Dada

Dave999

Validated User
Paw Patrol

I really enjoyed this episode but it is interesting how they're delaying the Doom Patrol becoming any semblance of heroes as well as explicitly challenging Cyborg's worldview that would normally go unchallenged. The protagonists successfully saved the population of the town from Mr. Nobody (albeit, I'm not sure if they did or he just let them go) but were completely useless in saving the world this time.

Like Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Chief and Mr. Nobody were the saviors of the world this time (albeit using Jane to help).

I kind of like how awful they are at this heroism thing and how it probably would have been better to let Kipling kill the kid.

Mallus

Validated User
Huh. Not only Mark Shepard as Kipling as the best version John Constantine filmed to date, but the whole Cult of the Unwritten Book storyline from Morrison's run, with a much improved resolution involving time travel, a science & magic team-up fight against the Dry Bachelors who explode into their unsent love letters, and some horrifying & sad character work with Jane/Kay Challis.

Revised opinion: this is better than Titans, possibly The Umbrella Academy, too. This feels like the Doom Patrol I fell in love with around 1989. So much so I'll be sorely disappointed -- if not entirely surprised -- if a certain European capitol does not get et in an upcoming episode.

Dave999

Validated User
I loved the Titans but this has a consistent theme, characters, and writing.

Mind you, I think that may be due to the fact it has a bunch of incredibly solid actors working their A game here.

MadCow

Master of all evil bovine
Validated User
Caught up with the two-parter. Lol, the staring contest is just the perfect kind of weird resolution fitting for this show. Mr Nobody is coming off as totally OP with his time travel and reality bending... hope the show will have a very good and creative resolution for defeating him.

Dave999

Validated User
Caught up with the two-parter. Lol, the staring contest is just the perfect kind of weird resolution fitting for this show. Mr Nobody is coming off as totally OP with his time travel and reality bending... hope the show will have a very good and creative resolution for defeating him.
Well, Mister Nobody is insane.

And in this show I wouldn't be surprised if he loses because that's what the narrative says.

Top Bottom