• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Dragon Quest Builders 2] More Minecraft, More Problems

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
It's not out in English until July 12, but there's so much gameplay footage and whatnot that I felt the need to share.

So, first off, it appears that this is actually set many years after the good ending of DQ2. The princess and princes wiped the floor with evil high priest Hargon and demon lord Malroth, peace settled across the world... but Hargon's cult survived, and they want to wreck the world by killing all Builders and dooming us to a retread of DQB1. But they're still working on it, and our PC is the most recent kidnap victim...

...speaking of PC, here's the first really nifty thing: they went to the trouble of making two versions of the opening cinematic, one for each playable gender!

That devil-haired kid? He's your best friend, and the warrior to your builder -- although you can gain levels this time around, he can wield better weapons than you. He's always by your side, helping you kill monsters and automatically gathering whatever you do, although anything he tries to build just poofs into smoke.

Oh, and his name is Malroth. I'm sure this isn't ominous and won't be significant in any way!

It's not just him who helps, either. You can train townsfolk to build blueprints for you, allowing even immense works of architecture to be completed without too much fuss.

Many quality of life improvements. Weapons and block-breaking tools are now partly separate, and swinging your sword will not damage your precious creations. Also you can now pick blocks and other scenery up without having to smash them every damn time. Online multiplayer will be a thing, and in-person multiplayer on the Switch. There's a way to make angled blocks for more roundish construction. And of course a much wider variety of blocks and accessories.

There are a few pre-order special items, but it looks like they're digital version only. A shame, I still prefer to have physical games where possible. There will also be DLC bundles, some free, and a season pass for those that aren't.

Annoyingly, while demos exist on both PS4 and Switch, they're Japan only. Here's a let's-play with narration though.

...not much more to add, other than that I'm really looking forward to this. :love:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm really tempted... But on the other hand I still haven't completed the first one (and haven't touched it in a year or so). And I have tons of other games to play...

Oh, well, I still have time to decide.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Been watching Let's Plays of the first chapter (after Tutorial Island). I continue to be impressed.

It's not clear to me how wide the town building border is, if it even technically exists, but the farming village in Ch. 1 is definitely much larger than the B1 towns. Which is good, because you'll need a lot of room to set up fields.

The cycle goes like this: you plant a scarecrow in the center of your intended field area; this prompts one of your villagers, a giant earthworm in a straw hat and blouse (did I mention this village is mixed-species?) to come over and churn whatever ground blocks are there into fertile soil. Then the other villagers come and till the soil for you. You plant the seeds, the villagers water the plants, you harvest (the plants will regrow). Put some veggies in a chest near a chair and table with a bowl and spoon, and your townsfolk will periodically gather and eat. It's all very communal-effort. Keep the people happy and they drop hearts, which you collect for town experience -- every town level gives you a bunch of new recipes.

Field size is limited, but it looks like building a fence around a scarecrow expands the field to fill the area.

Brontes

Validated User
I cannot wait to give this a try. I actually enjoyed the first game quite a bit despite a few details and would like to play some more. Hopefully I won't have to resort to the world's worst tower structure this time.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not watching the Let's Play, since I want to experience the pleasure of blind discovery, but much larger bases sound very welcome indeed. I think I'm sold.

I've actually started replaying the first game from where I left off (halfway through the third world). I finally figured out that the monsters in the snow area are actually very manageable if I remember to bring my three fighting pals, so I'm making some decent progress.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I've been going back as well to finish some old projects, like cleansing the poison lakes in Rimuldar. I'm actually tempted to start Rimuldar from scratch, it got quite cramped and I'd like to give the design another try without tearing the existing version down.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I guess I got the bug back : I've spent more than 20 hours on the game over the last few days, finishing up the third world, and making some good headway into the fourth (rebuilt most of the castle-town, found and rescued the three sages, reluctantly gave the best room to the Princess). I like how it's basically a "final test" for the game, bringing together options and landscapes from all three previous worlds.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
... And I'm done. (Well, aside of that one challenge of fighting the final boss naked ; the second stage of that battle is way too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother.) I even went back and finished a Cantlin Garden.

Overall, I've enjoyed the game a lot, despite my terrible fighting prowess (though I loved how the car in worlds 3 & 4 allowed me to cheese most fights).

Really looking forward to the second game now !

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Looking at more of BenXC's videos...

...there are so many things to build. So. Many. I am flabbergasted. My gast has been flabbered. o_O

(And you can dye stuff!)

999 items per stack

No more weapon/armor degradation!

Not only can you take in-game screenshots, but you can put those screenshots on painting canvas and display them in your buildings. :oops:

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
... And I'm done. (Well, aside of that one challenge of fighting the final boss naked ; the second stage of that battle is way too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother.) I even went back and finished a Cantlin Garden.

Overall, I've enjoyed the game a lot, despite my terrible fighting prowess (though I loved how the car in worlds 3 & 4 allowed me to cheese most fights).

Really looking forward to the second game now !
Funny thing? I forgot to beat the Dragonlord myself. 😅 I think I got discouraged the last time when I couldn't defeat his first form... turns out the most effective thing is to bring your cannons along.

So I just now finished him off for good, again with a cannon blast. Also not gonna bother with the no-armor challenge, at least not for a good long while... so the only other challenge left is fishing up the crown goowels, and then it's off to Terra Incognita for some random building fun.

Top Bottom