• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Dragon Quest Builders 2] More Minecraft, More Problems

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And the English demo is out, earlier than initially advertised. The puns must flow!
I just finished playing through it. It feels shorter than the first game's, but there's a LOT more dialogue and characterization for everyone you meet. And it's of course a decent appetizer that helps familiarize with the new controls and concepts.

[edit] Some more thoughts after sleeping on it :
- The camera handles closed spaces much better. Yay !
- At least on Switch, the "tutorial/hint" boxes are way too small. Which is weird, given how all dialogue boxes & menus are appropriately-sized. It seems to be linked to them jumping to the top right corner of the screen for a bit, then disappearing so fast that I have no clue why they bothered.
- My muscle memory will need a bit to adjust to some of the interface changes (especially as some of them are customizable).
- The new Tool system will also need some getting used to, although the possibility of just picking blocks up to move them instead of needing breaking them down first is very welcome. (Also, yeah for non-eroding equipment !)
- Yay, sprinting !
- Yay, our fighting pal mimicking us and automatically collecting whatever we just did !
- Not wild about cooking now taking some time, but at least you can easily parallelize.
- Yay, sleeping now restoring health the more time you spend in bed ! (which means you don't need to skip to the next day)
- Wait, we're back to a "normal" XP system, with at least some gotten from beating bosses ? Uh...

Last edited:

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
This Builder isn't a zombie, as far as I can tell, so why not level a bit? And I'm not sure what benefits you even get other than periodically learning new armor and weapon recipes.

(Also, your level is capped low with increases in each area, so grinding won't help much.)

Wow, Malroth is a bloodthirsty little devil.

Fortunately the hints are all saved in the menu.

I explored the Isle for a bit and found a journal left by the previous Builder. Vague, but apparently they discovered a secret about the world that was so horrible it left them shattered like a Lovecraft protagonist. I wonder if the hammerhood ghost is actually the old Builder.

...and you can use a vanity to change your appearance, including gender, at any time. I think I'll assume the PC is genderfluid and look for some neutral names.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This Builder isn't a zombie, as far as I can tell, so why not level a bit? And I'm not sure what benefits you even get other than periodically learning new armor and weapon recipes.
Max HP increases, from what I could see.

On an intellectual level I appreciated the high-concept from the first game that fighting was never the way to improve your character (at least, not directly) ; you're a Builder, not a Hero. On the other hand, you do need a way for your new fighting pal to level up too, now, so this streamlined system is probably for the best.

I didn't explore the starting island much besides the main story hooks ; I'll save that for when the actual game unlocks in a couple of weeks.

Hammel

Validated User
For those that have played the demo, do you change bases often enough that it makes getting attached to one base not a good idea?

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
For those that have played the demo, do you change bases often enough that it makes getting attached to one base not a good idea?
In this case, unlike 1, you'll be cycling back and forth between the barren starter island and the others, and able to use new designs in the older islands. Judging by BenXC's Let's Play, each island has a long enough story that getting attached shouldn't be a problem.

Brontes

Validated User
I'll probably hide out to avoid spoilers myself. I tried scouring the starting island for secrets but I cannot say I met with much success, although I suppose it'll be easier to navigate when I start to reshape it in my image.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's pretty much where I'm at : I'm not touching the demo anymore, and I'll boot my preordered copy up on Friday to unlock it. (Especially as i'm going on offline vacation for a week starting on Saturday.)

Hammel

Validated User
Thanks. Are there a lot of blueprints or things you must build to advance the story? Been watching a Dragon Quest Builders playthrough and one of the things that can be tough about it is that you have to build certain stuff to advance the story instead of building your own stuff...and if you do build your own stuff, you have to then tear down or modify your existing base somehow to accommodate the required blueprint.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Thanks. Are there a lot of blueprints or things you must build to advance the story? Been watching a Dragon Quest Builders playthrough and one of the things that can be tough about it is that you have to build certain stuff to advance the story instead of building your own stuff...and if you do build your own stuff, you have to then tear down or modify your existing base somehow to accommodate the required blueprint.
It happens, but it looks like not as much in this one... and there's nothing stopping you from tearing it back down afterwards.

And I think it'll be dropping at midnight Eastern, so we have two hours to go!

Hammel

Validated User
I look forward to this game! But I hope to read your first impressions and Metacritic scores before then.

Top Bottom