• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Drone images used as RPG maps! :D

matnoo

Validated User
I am bringing out a kickstarter that is 1000 drone photos and from those around 100 edited maps from around the world. I want to raise money to go on more trips to build a huge library with maps of volcanoes, lava flow, arctic environments, disused military installations, battle ships and cold war missile silos, dystopian Chernobyl, pyramids, ancient sites, glaciers, crashed aircraft, meteorite craters, geysers, movie sets, derelict asylums and reenactment sites.

The other cool thing is that I have gps stabilised video footage, so the maps move! Would be awesome to have your support.

heruca

Validated User
Cool project. Drones are a great tool for getting top-down pics that would be difficult or impossible to get by other means.

Do you have any plans on providing map-making assets pulled from the drone footage, rather than just ready-to-use maps?

matnoo

Validated User
Cool project. Drones are a great tool for getting top-down pics that would be difficult or impossible to get by other means.

Do you have any plans on providing map-making assets pulled from the drone footage, rather than just ready-to-use maps?
Hey, sorry I overlooked this post somehow! Yeah, so I am taking images of:

Straight up maps (Scenes that are usually nature based that you can just correct the colour balance/levels and use immediately)

Edited maps (scenes that are mostly medieval/futuristic/whatever in content but need tweaking on photoshop to remove people/cars/TV ariels)

Composite maps (4-5 pictures that are intentionally taken in the same conditions/lighting so that they can be spliced together to make a predetermined scene)

Composite stock (a building/tree or other feature taken from several angles so that it can be cut out and added to an image)

Textures (cobbled street, grass, bog, paving stones, concrete, ploughed field,

I think Composite stock and Textures may be of use as map making assets in grid based software though that will be a little later. If backers ask for it then yes for sure.

heruca

Validated User
Thanks for the reply. I have a couple more questions, now.

What are the usage rights for the images produced by this campaign? Could we use them in commercial projects?

Is the image resolution sufficiently high that they could be used to make tactical-scale battlemaps (at least 200x200 pixels to show a 5 ft. square area)?

matnoo

Validated User
What are the usage rights for the images produced by this campaign? Could we use them in commercial projects?

Is the image resolution sufficiently high that they could be used to make tactical-scale battlemaps (at least 200x200 pixels to show a 5 ft. square area)?

The images don't have usage rights for developers as standard. If you could just take the images and resell any/all of them without incurring any of my overheads it would be commercial suicide! However, if you wanted to use any of the images I would be very happy to hear how and where and maybe we could come to an arrangement.

The image resolution for all of the new images is 17 megapixel, something like 5472x3078, some of the older ones are a bit smaller.

Top Bottom