• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [DRYH] Beware the Tacks Man

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is the OOC Thread for Beware the Tacks Man, a game of Don't Rest Your Head. We have three players:

Brahnamin
Baeraad
JoanieSappho

With Pandorym as the Game Master (that's me!)

This thread is for character sheets, discussions, and of course any other out-of-character stuff.

The actual game will begin on Monday, November 7th, so as to allow all players to create characters and post them. However, don't let that stop you from posting sheets or other stuff ahead of time.

Once a day posting is preferred, with more often encouraged but not required. Please post any absences here (as well as the Absences thread if you do that) so everyone is on the same page.

Last edited:

Baeraad

I'm so tiiiiirrreeeeed...
Validated User
Hmm, okay...

Name: Lawrence Wilks

What’s Been Keeping You Awake?

Work stress. Lawrence is the assistant to the fairly shady owner of a construction and development company, and he's being run ragged trying to keep up with his boss' requirements. Between all the paper trails he needs to artfully edit and all the upset people he needs to either placate, browbeat or bamboozle out of pressing charges, there just isn't enough hours in the day anymore - and a combination of student debts and alimony payments is making sure that he absolutely can't afford to get fired.

What just happened to you?

During yet another frantic afternoon, Lawrence had to get all the way across town in the span of five minutes or else risk a potential client walking out and leaving him with the blame. An impossible task, especially since he couldn't get hold of a cab and had to resort to running - but somehow he found a shortcut through an alley he couldn't remember being there, and when he got to the meeting the client was disgruntled but still there, claiming that Lawrence had in fact been talking to him for half an hour already but that he'd been strange and unhelpful.

What’s on the Surface?

Lawrence looks like a go-getter, or to be specific, he looks like someone who tries to be a go-getter but hasn't been going to the right places or getting much of anything. He's got his hair in a trendy style, but it's getting a little too long to maintain it, and he wears suits that are technically sharp and fashionable but that are both a little too cheap to carry off the impression and constantly in a state of being ruffled and looking like they've been slept in.

What Lies Beneath?

Lawrence never particularly wanted this kind of job - what he wanted was to be a great bestselling author. However, pressure from his parents, the harsh facts of life and (in fairness) also the absence of any overwhelming literary talent on his part forced him into a lifestyle that leaves little time or energy to write.

What’s Your Path?

Lawrence wants to get out of the rat race somehow, and back to some kind of balanced life where he can pursue his dreams again. A job for the same pay but with less ethical violations and some chance at free time would be a good step towards that, as would of course some unexpected influx of money.

What Did The Tacks Man Take From You?

The Tacks Man stole the draft for The Next Great American Novel that Lawrence kept in his desk drawer at home, hoping to get a chance to work on it again (he hasn't in years now, but it still represents his hopes of getting to do what he loves).

Responses: Fight 1, Flight 2

Exhaustion Talent: Persuasion

Madness Talent: Create doppelganger

JoanieSappho

Not drunk enough for this
Validated User
Let's see how this goes for a first shot ...

Name: Johanna Lewis

Illness. Johanna has never had a particularly robust immune system and the new climate and stress of moving have both taken their toll on her system. Perhaps this would pass in time, but that would need the stress to pass, which it doesn't seem too inclined to actually do. Poor sleep has always been something of a recurring problem for her, although never to the extent that it has become.
Well, it used to be a problem.

Not wanting to keep her partner awake with her restlessness, Johanna went for a late night walk, perhaps not the smartest move in the city, but she was always a small town girl at heart.
She had expected to have a little walk, maybe see if any of the shops were still open and definitely not to wake strapped to a table with strange beings doing stranger things to her and large, noticeable holes in her memory.

Apparently she and her partner had an anniversary the previous day, not that Johanna had been able to remember it or the argument that had followed and prompted her night-time stroll. While mild, that argument led into another, much more heated and bitter one when she returned with absolutely no idea who the (admittedly, quite pretty) woman in her house was, resulting in her partner leaving. While Johanna doesn't remember her, there are still feelings that have been left behind, and all of those are driving her crazy at the other woman's absence.
And those damn aliens keep poking at her brain.

What’s on the Surface?
Johanna has the academic look down, even if most of her clothes look like they've been left on the floor for a few days and put on in a rush. Long blonde hair tied back in a loose, messy ponytail, a rumpled, slightly oversize shirts and plain, if creased, trousers.

What Lies Beneath?
Johanna had had to deal with a number or conditions throughout her life, several of them of a hereditary nature. While she and her partner have been happy despite her frequently poor health, Johanna has, for a long time been aware and afraid of also sharing in the less physical and more mental problems that have shown up in her family history.

What’s Your Path?
She might not remember her partner, but Johanna still loves her and the separation just feels ... wrong. Repairing their relationship or forming a new one with her is important, even if Johanna isn't entirely sure why. As is making sure that she hasn't just started to lose her mind.

While Joanna loves her partner and is certain of her feelings, those feelings seem to be all that she has. Even after speaking to her, Johanna soon finds that she can't remember her partner's name, or what she looks like, let alone any of the events they have apparently been through together. The memories of her love have, somehow, been taken and Johanna is fairly sure who took them.

Exhaustion Talent: Intellect

Madness Talent: Xenophile

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
PDF Character Sheet

My Name Is . . .
Max Jensen ......And I am . . . a Junior Apprentice Watchmaker

“Roaches, man, dogdamned roaches. They’re everywhere!”

Max lives in a shitty apartment that’s just one room with a shitter, a mini fridge, a bed, and a hot plate, and he figures it’s at least three years older than God. There are roaches everywhere, and he just can’t get past the idea that they will crawl into his mouth and ears and nose if he falls asleep.

“There was this crack in the wall, man, and the light, and then they just came clicking through, man. They were beautiful. And horrible. And they died . . .”

One night Max was staring at a crack in the plaster wall of his apartment, and it began to expand and glowed from within. Roaches started to spill from the widening crack, but they weren’t regular roaches. They were copper and brass clockwork roaches, tiny and perfect, wire antennae sweeping the air, quivering . . . when the meat roaches swarmed up the walls from the floor and devoured them. Max doesn’t remember anything after that. When he came to his senses and looked again the clockwork roaches were gone and the crack looked like it had never changed.

What’s on the Surface?
“What you see is what you get, man. I’m nobody . . .”

Max is a stubble faced guy of average height and build in a uniform of dark cargo pants, dark running shoes, and hoodie. He tends to slouch and keep his head down to avoid notice. He never gets on the bus or in a taxi and he won’t use escalators or elevators. He has to work up the courage to walk through automatic doors.

What Lies Beneath?
“Machines have a beautiful order to them. Parts and pieces all working in time, man. Tech sucks. Tech is glitches and chaos. It’s alive and it will eat you, man.”

Max is a watchmaker’s apprentice. Machines, simple machines of gears and springs and levers fascinate him, but he doesn’t trust modern technology and is extremely paranoid about it. If it runs on electricity or catches signals that can’t be seen, whether via satellite or radio waves he cringes away from it.

What’s Your Path?
“I’m gonna find that door and I’m gonna walk outta this city man. But I gotta make sure the tech can’t slither after me, man.”

Max just wants to leave. Trouble is he can’t find the way out; he keeps looking, and if he ever sees the way he plans to close his eyes so they can’t betray him and make a beeline for that exit. Until then, he searches, walking miles of city streets and sewers and skylines just looking for a way out but unable to find one.

“He stole my inner compass, man. No place I can’t run in this city - I can run the streets, I can run walls, I can run the sky, but that fucker pinned me to the pavement and took my compass. I can go anywhere . . . but I don’t know how to get there.”

The Tacks Man relieved Max of his Inner Compass under very unpleasant circumstances.

Exhaustion Talent: Parkour - There is no obstacle in the Mad City that Max cannot get over, under, through, or around.

Madness Talent: Ghost in the Machine - Max can shut down electronics - from blowing lightbulbs to wiping hard drives. He can even collapse whole power grids if he pours in enough madness dice

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
All very awesome! Alright, so, I've got one more question for you all before I think up and post the IC thread.

How should Pain be handled?

Specifically, there's two choices: either players roll Pain along with their other pools when determining who succeeds and what dominates, or I make a Pain roll after every roll the players make. Which is preferred?

I can also just make all the rolls if preferred, but that sorta feels less in the hands of the players to me.

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
I'm fine with any of the above, but if I'm doing any of the rolling I'm gonna need a quick tutorial in Orokos because my eyes are glazing over looking at the help tab on their dice roller.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's the IC thread.

As you can see, I decided to start the game from within the Mad City already. Characters will experience flashbacks of their pasts as the game goes on, showing what led up to this point.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC questions go in this thread, please. The only OOC stuff that goes in the IC thread is rolls.

And to answer your question, yes, the clock is in the cell with you.

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Checking out cell lock. Does the lock mechanism look like something a watchmaker's apprentice might tinker his way through, or it it just batshit gears that aren't going to yield to anything but the proper key?

Top Bottom