• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[DRYH] Why I love the resolution mechanism and think that I would be a fine for many games

Fatespinner

Validated User
Hi all,

you all know that DRYH is just brilliant and for my part I really like how the resolution works. Successes and dominance are great.

First of all it gives you two results with one roll. You get successes and dominance, where dominance is more random then successes. This results in: yes and, yes but, no but, no and. In addition when you are against a high pain thread and the you roll many successes then there is always the danger of pain dominating. Awesome. Big dangerous things are still dangerous even if you get a lucky roll, because each success reduces your chances of gaining dominance.

The second thing that I really like is how team work works. When multiple characters go against a common thread they all roll and if one of the players succeeds, then the party succeeds. This increases the chance for success for all players, but at the same time there is a high risk because every roll is also a danger and you can get badly hurt. The simple rules for directly helping each other make the rules just a bit more perfect.

The last thing that I really love are Scars, which are a great and simple way to add more depth to your character and let you grow and change your character is a simple way (similar to stunts and aspects in fate).

So I think that DRYH works also great with only discipline and pain. Ok it looses a bit depth but allows more genres and games and you always can add one or two pools to spice things up.

EDIT: As a note, the questions for character creation are just brilliant and I sometimes steal some questions from "Dread" to make the DRYH questions a bit more individual.

Last edited:

wapa

Validated User
Don't Rest Your Head is surprisingly hackable. I've seen variants for both Changeling: The Lost and The Venture Brothers that are a perfect fit, and hacked it to run a Counting to Infinity game myself. I've also come up with a hack to run games in the Book of the New Sun's setting, but unfortunately I'm the only person I know who's read it. :(

Christian A

Wyrm no more
Validated User
I've converted, huh, pretty much all WoD games to DRYH. Working fine. I like how characters can pretty much choose how effective and powerful they are - the more power, the higher the risk.

Bez

Geek
Validated User
've also come up with a hack to run games in the Book of the New Sun's setting, but unfortunately I'm the only person I know who's read it. :(
I've read the first two, and liked them (I must get hold of the other two at some point).

Any chance you'd be willing to share your hack?

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
I've read all the new/long/short sun books (that I know of) and would be interested in your hack too.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
I love DRYH for this very reason. Before I got my hands on Cortex Plus, I had been working on an Exalted hack for DRYH, which was working surprisingly well.

wapa

Validated User
I've read the first two, and liked them (I must get hold of the other two at some point).

Any chance you'd be willing to share your hack?
Everyone has Surface Talents and Secret Talents. Surface Talents cover what you appear to be (exultant, sailor, innocent, etc), Secret Talents cover what you really are, but conceal or are ignorant of (revolutionary, revenant, time traveller, etc). Surface works like the Madness Talent, since it's something you can control as you like; in place of Fight or Flight responses, you have Costs - being what the world says you are may injure you, take your treasures and your friendships. (This probably needs a little more work to be properly gameable). Embrace your surface too much and it will consume you. Secrets work like Exhaustion; you may want to hide them but they will slowly come out to those around you. Once it's fully in the open, you can't hide from it any more and have to resolve it somehow - if you do come back, you'll be freer than you were but less driven.

The pace of the game is explicitly slowed down (sessions take place over weeks or months rather than hours or days), and dice are rolled to try to get by in the world as well as to resolve conflicts. Less "stab the gribbly monster", more "make a living in town for a few weeks," though gribbly-stabbing is still on the table.

Top Bottom