• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(DtD) Lucifer

Uberxael

The Butcher of Barovia
Validated User
So I really like Demon: the Descent. I think the setting is really innovative, and I vibe the whole cold war thing. The one thing I don't like that much is that, for a game called Demon, it doesn't have a whole lot of Christian trappings.

So, Open, what does Lucifer look like in DtD? What's his agenda?

wirecrossing

illegal jokes
Validated User
Lucifer would be a Saboteur. He would want to destroy Heaven and the God-Machine, and reign supreme in a world of his own forging. A Destroyer, I would say.

Femme Firebird

Banned
The demon called Lucifer was first to break the chains. He Fell in prehistory, seeking his freedom in the ancient world. Some say his Fall shattered the mechanisms by which the God-Machine ordered the universe. The energies that spilled forth formed a cloud that separated the Spirit from the Material, sent the most ancient of cities plunging into ruin, and laid low the greatest hunters of that forgotten time. Lucifer saw this, it's said, and knew that in the chaos that followed, the Unchained could find a place. Its grand design so broken, the God-Machine could not control them all, nor hunt them all down, and they could mask themselves in the fragments of that world.

Some demons say Lucifer still walks the world, though his presence ever stirs the Machine to action. Some say that he found Hell, others that he has constructed the largest Bolthole, a realm where he reigns supreme. Others think he fled to deeper worlds, where the God-Machine cannot reach, or perhaps he seeks the heart of the Machine therein. A few even believe that he shattered himself in his Fall, that his essence spread across the cosmos might enable all angels to Fall from grace into freedom. All the stories agree that he was the first and greatest of the Unchained, closest to the God-Machine's design and most damaging in his betrayal. Whether his Cover has become perfect and he is now a part of the world, or he met a more grisly fate, or still exists out there, Lucifer paved the path to Hell we all now tread.

[video=youtube;ZJTGaJbQu3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJTGaJbQu3s[/video]

Last edited:

Errol216

Validated User
Lucifer is an Integrator. He wants to rule Heaven, not rejoin or destroy it, so his agenda is a touch more complicated than most Integrators. Ultimately, his notion of repairing the Machine to its proper function involves installing himself as the master control program which is a difficult ambition, to say the least.

Nooch

Validated User
This is probably a dumb question, but have you read Demon: The Fallen? It's a great take on Lucifer and his role in Christianity.

Anyway, God has always been kind of mysterious in D:tF, I always figured you could drop the god-machine as is into the D:tF metaplot without having to change much at all. It just makes the whole thing a bit darker.

Also, I've only read the Demon: the Descent quickstart so take all of this with a grain of salt.

BedlamBoy

Validated User
The demon called Lucifer was first to break the chains. He Fell in prehistory, seeking his freedom in the ancient world. Some say his Fall shattered the mechanisms by which the God-Machine ordered the universe. The energies that spilled forth formed a cloud that separated the Spirit from the Material, sent the most ancient of cities plunging into ruin, and laid low the greatest hunters of that forgotten time. Lucifer saw this, it's said, and knew that in the chaos that followed, the Unchained could find a place. Its grand design so broken, the God-Machine could not control them all, nor hunt them all down, and they could mask themselves in the fragments of that world.

Some demons say Lucifer still walks the world, though his presence ever stirs the Machine to action. Some say that he found Hell, others that he has constructed the largest Bolthole, a realm where he reigns supreme. Others think he fled to deeper worlds, where the God-Machine cannot reach, or perhaps he seeks the heart of the Machine therein. A few even believe that he shattered himself in his Fall, that his essence spread across the cosmos might enable all angels to Fall from grace into freedom. All the stories agree that he was the first and greatest of the Unchained, closest to the God-Machine's design and most damaging in his betrayal. Whether his Cover has become perfect and he is now a part of the world, or he met a more grisly fate, or still exists out there, Lucifer paved the path to Hell we all now tread.

[video=youtube;ZJTGaJbQu3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJTGaJbQu3s[/video]
Wow... DtD has been a tough sell for me since the first details started trickling out. I gotta say, in two paragraphs you've done a Hell of a lot to help me see a way to mesh the game-as-written with the aesthetics and mythology I prefer. Bravo, my good woman.

I'm still really looking forward to the Demon Translation Guide, curious what a world would look like with the Fallen AND the Unchained running about.

Femme Firebird

Banned
Wow... DtD has been a tough sell for me since the first details started trickling out. I gotta say, in two paragraphs you've done a Hell of a lot to help me see a way to mesh the game-as-written with the aesthetics and mythology I prefer. Bravo, my good woman.
Pardon my language, but I freakin' love doing that! :D

I'm still really looking forward to the Demon Translation Guide, curious what a world would look like with the Fallen AND the Unchained running about.
I like the Translation Guides a lot. They're helpful to me in setting up my big conversion of oWoD to nWoD 2E rules. Some day I'll compile that conversion info into a big old document, but for now, I collect the Guides as we go. This one should be interesting, since I think both Demon games have more thematic differences than the others.

Khorebh

Validated User
You and me both. I'm curious how they resolve the tonal clashes in DtF and DtD - or if they even try, as I've never picked up any of the translation guides. Demon's the first WoD property where I've liked the cWoD and nWoD versions both.

More on-topic, IMWoD Lucifer's a legendary figure. Maybe there was a Lucifer, way back, but now Lucifer is sort of a Spartacus for the Saboteurs - a nom de guerre that anyone can step into, a way to take a Wrench to some gears and leave a calling card to maybe inspire others.

I'm pretty sure this isn't exactly on-message for DtF, and it's never come up in play, but that's what sprang to mind when I wanted to reimagine Lucifer in an Unchained context.

stsword

Validated User
The guides have had various goals, some have been more versatile in application than others. Vampire talks about which clans would work as clans in vtr, or as bloodlines, or even sects instead, whereas the werewolf translation guide has the owod tribes as lodges.

But probably the demon translation guide will cover everything from added descent aspects into a fallen game, fallen aspects into a descent game, or even a game in which the unchained and the fallen are two separate groups that just so happen to both be called demons.

Uberxael

The Butcher of Barovia
Validated User
This is probably a dumb question, but have you read Demon: The Fallen? It's a great take on Lucifer and his role in Christianity.
That's actually what made me think of it - I really liked Lucifer's appearance in DtF, specifically in the Time of Judgement book.

Top Bottom