• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

DTRPG and Pay What You Want

DigitalRaven

Social Justice Pontiff
Validated User
Then fair answer, I'm going to download it now:). When I get to reading it, which seems in about a couple months from now due to other games, I'd probably re-download it for the price I think it deserves. That might be more than the recommended price, if you really impress me, or I can just delete it and forget about it if it's something I wouldn't even consider, or everything in-between.

Since I think that's what many people would do, I think I can ask you whether that would work for you?
That's exactly what I'm hoping people will do, not just for my books but for everything that embraces PWYW. :)

Either way, it puts your product to the test of gaining the appreciation of readers after they have read it, instead of relying on a description. I can only applaud your confidence in its quality;)!
I know what I will improve in a second edition, but I also think the first edition is strong enough to stand on its own in the world of PWYW.

Thats very interesting! I think you might find out that letting people pay what they want might be easier than choosing a price that will maximize profits. Please let us know how it turns out!
That's certainly what I'm hoping based on previous experiments with PWYW. I've also dipped my toe into "games in exchange for charity", as pioneered by Buried Without Ceremony (who make Monsterhearts, among others). I really hope the idea of alternate revenue streams, be that customers paying what they're happy with, or paying through good deeds, or whatever, can work out. Since I'm mostly in the position of releasing indie games for the love of the games, I don't mind if it turns out to not be massively financially viable; I believe in the ideas enough that I'm willing to see them through.

The only problem is that DTRP shows "Pay What You Want" instead of PDF, watermarked PDF, zip file, print, augmented PDF... So Im not sure what Im buying. For me is kinda of a big deal, because I dont get watermarked PDFs even for free. Could someone tell me if thats the case?
Yeah, that is a bit of a problem just now — PWYW is in beta, so it's still got things that need ironed out. Æternal Legends is a non-watermarked landscape PDF. I've updated the description to reflect that.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
I just wanna say thanks to DriveThru for pushing this out. Evil Hat kinda pushed them into getting it done sooner rather than later, because we had Fate Core and Fate Accelerated to put out there on a PWYW basis, and wanted DriveThru to be one of the venues where we did that. They weren't ready when it was time to launch for us, and they switched around their priorities to get ready. Kudos to DTRPG for this.

Karl

Retired User
That's certainly what I'm hoping based on previous experiments with PWYW. I've also dipped my toe into "games in exchange for charity", as pioneered by Buried Without Ceremony (who make Monsterhearts, among others). I really hope the idea of alternate revenue streams, be that customers paying what they're happy with, or paying through good deeds, or whatever, can work out. Since I'm mostly in the position of releasing indie games for the love of the games, I don't mind if it turns out to not be massively financially viable; I believe in the ideas enough that I'm willing to see them through.

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem just now — PWYW is in beta, so it's still got things that need ironed out. Æternal Legends is a non-watermarked landscape PDF. I've updated the description to reflect that.
Thanks! Ill check it!

As for the "financially viable", Im not too sure most of our hobby is, but the PWYW model can be, I would guess. I see a TON of US$20 books that I would probably buy for US$10. I bet there are lots of people in similar situations, I am sure I will spend a lot MORE if this model gets popular. I also buy lots of stuff on sales, so I guess I could buy all the time now.

Also, I would think some "suggest price" might be a good idea.

EDIT: also, happy to see Fate Core in PWYW, as promised. I payed for it in the kickstarter, and Im very happy to see that people can get it for free, or for 5 or 10 bucks.

Last edited:

Matt.Ceb

WH40k: An unending holy space Brexit. (Nic Rueben)
Validated User
I just wanna say thanks to DriveThru for pushing this out. Evil Hat kinda pushed them into getting it done sooner rather than later, because we had Fate Core and Fate Accelerated to put out there on a PWYW basis, and wanted DriveThru to be one of the venues where we did that. They weren't ready when it was time to launch for us, and they switched around their priorities to get ready. Kudos to DTRPG for this.
This is awesome... :)

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
Then fair answer, I'm going to download it now:). When I get to reading it, which seems in about a couple months from now due to other games, I'd probably re-download it for the price I think it deserves. That might be more than the recommended price, if you really impress me, or I can just delete it and forget about it if it's something I wouldn't even consider, or everything in-between.

Since I think that's what many people would do, I think I can ask you whether that would work for you?

Either way, it puts your product to the test of gaining the appreciation of readers after they have read it, instead of relying on a description. I can only applaud your confidence in its quality;)!
Pursonally, if it was me, I'd make the game free, and also do a donation pack product that has a nicerer character sheet and a GM screen saying "I brought this bitches!" and sell that under PWYW.

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User
That's exactly what I'm hoping people will do, not just for my books but for everything that embraces PWYW. :)

I know what I will improve in a second edition, but I also think the first edition is strong enough to stand on its own in the world of PWYW.
I hope more publishers adopt your stance:).
Nothing to add right now. Expect feedback in a couple months, as promised.

Kudos to DTRPG, and kudos to Evil Hat for pushing it, I say!

EDIT: also, happy to see Fate Core in PWYW, as promised. I payed for it in the kickstarter, and Im very happy to see that people can get it for free, or for 5 or 10 bucks.
Also a backer, here, and also happy it would be available to more people;)!

BTW, I'd expect some games to get a free boost in popularity with this option, although only time would show.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
Pretty interesting to see who's gone for the PWYW format. Always wanted to peruse the Teratic Tome, and looks like there are some LotFP modules out there as well...

Is there a way to search by products of this format?

Last edited:

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
You can buy a product twice; DTRPG isn't quite clear on that. When I have a free moment (at work just now) I'll update my product description to reflect that. I think the ability to download once and pay later is one of the best things to come out of this project.
Color me intrigued. Certainly, this would enable folks to have the benefit of "browsing the bookstore," and maybe even eliminate the need/desire for separate free/light and paid/full games in some cases. I can't see everyone going for it, but small companies/games, or just plain ol' OLD stuff? Might be well worthwhile.

I need to check this out, but I'm already wondering, "what if there was a "pay more than average" bonus like the Humble Bundle?" Or, "what if there are 'stretch goals' like Kickstarter?"

Need to read up... They might be there :)

(on his phone)

Top Bottom