[Ducktales] Ducktales Omniduck Thread

Dalerik

Preaching Gaming Anarchy
Validated User
Welp, there is new DuckTales out there, and it's gone from great to amazing.

113 - The McMystery at the McDuck McManor

It was a pretty great episode. Lots of fun gags, and the fact that Scrooge do not like birthdays are pretty fitting for his character. I wasn't a fan of the payoff, but the journey there, and the party planning was pretty darn great.

114 - Jaw$

A episode focused on both Webby+Lena as the main arc, but also Scrooge getting into trouble with the media. I adore this episode. Lots of amazing gags, with all of the characters, except Donald, being used to great effect. And the money shark was a stroke of genius.
And the whole; "What part of Ireland are you from Mr. McDuck?"

115 - The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Creek

I *was* wondering how Goldie O'Gilt was going to be twisted into the new story for the new DT. And making her Scrooge's Catwoman/Irene Adler, is kinda cool, although I still prefer the Don Rosa version.
But, damn if I don't love the back-n-forth of Goldie and Scrooge. And there was a lot of clever use of the enviroment in this one.

---

All in all, the new episodes are pretty darn great, but I'm still lacking some Donald Duck to make things a bit more spicy.

Last edited:

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: [Ducktales] 113 + 114 + 115 (We fell behind...)

We also get confirmation that Scrooge's longlagivity is supernatural (since he was alrady really streaching it in Don Rosa days).

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User

Your numbers are off. The episode next weekend (Day of the Only Child) comes between McMystery and JAW$.

Yes, they're still showing everything out of order.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User

Why do that flucking do that.
It si really that hard to go, this one comes first, then this is the second one, this is the third.

Isator Levie

Validated User

Was I off, or is Magica voiced by the same person as Eclipsa from Star vs the Forces of Evil? Regardless, the character is more fun now with that nice sense of bombast with a hint of mania.

Dalerik said:
And the whole; "What part of Ireland are you from Mr. McDuck?"

Awwye, ye could do worse ye oul bastard!

Dalerik said:
I think almost all of them have been pretty good, but I found this one to be among the most fun of them.

Kreuzritter

Validated User

Was I off, or is Magica voiced by the same person as Eclipsa from Star vs the Forces of Evil? Regardless, the character is more fun now with that nice sense of bombast with a hint of mania.
I don't watch Star, but that was still Katherine "Doctor Donna" Tate

Kirayoshi

Mrs. Peel, we're needed.
Validated User

All in all, the new episodes are pretty darn great, but I'm still lacking some Donald Duck to make things a bit more spicy.
Apparently Donald's busy with a couple of old buddies of his with another new animated show. One that, at least for the time being, is only available in some markets outside the United States on a video-on-demand ap. Read all about it here; "The Legend of the Three Caballeros".

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Maybe it would be a good idea to just make a single omnibus thread for the series, instead of new ones for individual episodes. We seem to have enough interest to talk about it, but not quite enough that people can remember to make new threads every time. It works for most of the other series people watch here.

Anyway, these episodes had a few things worthy of annotation, especially the last one.

There were a few in McMystery at McDuck McManor, specifically a new character and a cameo. We briefly see (and Scrooge briefly discusses) a painting that includes an elderly man referred to by Ma Beagle as her 'Grandpappy Beagle.' A 'Grandpa Beagle' did appear in the comics, initially as two characters who may or may not have initially been intended to be the same. Blackheart Beagle first appeared in Barks's 1957 story 'The Fantastic River Race.' This was one of Barks's few flashbacks to Scrooge's younger days, in which he reminisced about the time he had a steamboat race on the Mississippi River against the criminal Blackheart and his three sons. Later, Grandpa Beagle appeared in the modern day, in the 1958 story 'The Money Well.' Here, he was the elderly, retired grandfather of the current generation of Beagle Boys, and got wrapped up in a dispute over just who owned some land Scrooge had hidden his money on. Don Rosa conclusively tied the two characters together in his Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck series, showing Blackheart at both stages of his life.

The bigger appearance in this episode, of course, is Duckworth, Scrooge's butler. He was a character created for the original DuckTales -- while Scrooge was occasionally portrayed as having a butler in the comics, there was never a single consistent character used for the role, and none of them rose above a cameo appearance. In the original DuckTales series, Duckworth was a stoic, helpful straight man, usually there to help out the main characters and play off their zanier personalities. He rarely rose to act as a major character, starring in only two episodes in the entire run. (He also wasn't a ghost.)

The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains is packed with references to Barks and Rosa's works. Most obviously, this is the series debut of Goldie O'Gilt, established in the comics as Scrooge's rival and love interest. She first appeared in Back to the Klondike (Barks 1953), which established that Scrooge had first struck it rich in the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1890s. 'Glittering Goldie' in this story started out as a dance-hall girl in Dawson. When Scrooge came into town bearing a pouch of gold, including the giant Goose Egg Nugget, she cozied up to Scrooge, flirting with him, before drugging his drink and stealing his gold. When he recovered, he reclaimed the Goose Egg Nugget from her, but she had already spent the rest of the gold. In retaliation, he dragged her to his claim and forced her to work mining for him for a month.

She appears in the modern section of the story as an old woman living in a shack on Scrooge's old claim, clearly still both in love with Scrooge and resenting him as a rival. (The feelings were both mutual.) Afterwards, Barks never referenced her again, but she would periodically appear in other stories by Rosa or other authors as Scrooge's old flame -- Rosa established that she had bought up the old ballroom she'd worked at and turned it into a tourist hotel. Some stories play up her romance with Scrooge, or give her a granddaughter of unknown parentage named Dickie Duck.

The episode is packed full of references to Barks and Rosa's stories featuring her. The name of the episode, to begin with, refers to the site of Scrooge's claim, known as White Agony Creek in the comics. The bear Scrooge tames bears a strong resemblance to Blackjack, a bear Goldie tamed while living in Scrooge's shack, and used to try to drive off Scrooge and his family. The giant mammoth is a reference to Rosa's 1993 King of the Klondike, part of The Life and Times. In it, Scrooge reaches White Agony Creek by daring to travel through a dangerous cave in a glacier, where a frozen mammoth corpse partially blocks the way (and intimidated all previous travelers).

Goldie also mentions finding a fountain of youth in Ronguay, which was a South American country invented for the premiere movie of the original Ducktales, The Treasure of the Golden Suns. Scrooge and the family travel there in search of the titular treasure.

Top Bottom