• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dumb stuff your group has basically internalized at this point

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
Whenever I am the GM, any time the players need to cross a bridge or go on a boat they know that something really horrible is about to happen.

It seems in my games every time there is a bridge or a trip over water, there is a challenging encounter or story about to happen.

AbjectQuestioner

Low SAN Score
Validated User
Do any of the Johns work for Yoyodyne? Any Buckaroo Banzi references?
Strangely, it's never come up. I don't think my friends have seen (shudder, the shame) Buckaroo Banzai. Clearly, this is my fault.

Years ago, in Dungeons and Dragons, we played through an alien invasion, Martian tripod-style, of the World of Greyhawk, because why not? In the midst of an action scene somebody spontaneously started shouting "Air Raid! Air Raid!" and making siren noises. All through the rest of the 1980s and early 90s, that was the call sign for funny, horrible stuff about to arrive . . . "Air Raid! Air Raid!" and siren sounds.

wryfool

Validated User
Due to my habit of calling un-named NPCs "Steve", that has become our standard term for any friendly NPCs that join us in combat.

We often refer to bonuses as "puffins" due to a joke in 3.5 D&D where we would list out all the rando bonuses a player had (i.e. "Did you remember that X cast bless? Did you add in your bonus for flanking them?) with the joke, "Did you remember your puffin bonus?"

E-Rocker

Validated User
There's always a koi pond.

After I give a pretty thorough description of a new area the players are encountering, if they ask something along the lines of "Is there anything else there?"

The answer is "... there's a koi pond." Bizarrely, I don't think my players have caught on.

The_kerrins

Validated User
Once we had a shadowrun where we spent 6 hours real time meticulously planning a run, down to the last detail checking every guard movement etc. So we got to the actual breaking and entering - effectively the run itself and the GM says "This you then do" no rolls, no description - just you get everything that you went for. Since then if we come up with even 1/2 a plan a "this you then do" is a attempt by the party to get the GM to say yes no problems - does work very often though :)

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
We call NPC hirelings "bodybags"; it's our version or Redshirts. As in, "Hey, let's hire some bodybags to guard the horses while we explore the ruins." The term's also applicable to PCs made up for someone who's only joining the group for one session, and therefore no one's concerned with their survival chances. "Here, Ed, we rolled you up a bodybag for tonight's adventure."

In an old AD&D module, there was a deadly vicious blades trap that could only be disarmed if the PCs said the name of the Egyptian god Thoth out loud. It diced up half the party before someone figured it out. Now, when the PCs in any game genre suspect traps or ambushes, someone at the table will call out, "Thoth!"

Kingle

Validated User
Back when I regularly played 3.5/Pathfinder, the feat "combat expertise" became "combat export ties".

Faethor

Validated User
Just started playing the first ad&d game since I was 14 (I'm mid forties).

In a moment of 'errrring' by our GM (senior moment.. We all have them lol) , regarding the name of the dragon Tiamats opposite (Bahamut) , they will both now forever be known and reffered to as Tiamat and Beer mat.

(unless that's a running joke I am painfully unaware of)

Last edited:

Schleiermacher

Validated User
We have a bunch of weird call-and-response stuff that's accreted over the years, mostly pop culture quotes that have long since been unmoored from their original context in usage.

But the only thing I can recall that started as a goof in a game was once when we were breaking into a cellar, asking for a description, and the GM said "It's well lit - that is to say dark." (In the original Norwegian this is a much less cumbersome sentence, but still a pretty absurd one.) So that became a sort of joke at the expense of vague or contradictory descriptions - or sometimes the GM will use it to stall if asked to describe something he's not prepared for.

Top Bottom