• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dumbing of Age: that Amazi-girl is off the hook

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User
Quick Mod Edit:

Dumbing of Age is a webcomic by David Willis about freshman college students coming of age as they live on their own for the first time. It's tone is a mixture of comedy and drama, with a focus on the characters using the college experience to question and explore their own identity. Dumbing of Age uses characters from Davis's previous webcomics "It's Walky" and "Shortpacked", but this is an explicitly rebooted continuity with the fantastical elements from the old comics (such as robots and aliens) removed and the characters de-aged appropriately for a college environment.

Webpage is here:
http://www.dumbingofage.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's time for Dumbing of Age to have its own thread instead of dominating the general webcomics thread.

Whereas I'm getting tired of implausible action heroics in a slice of life college comic.
I actually liked it before despite, or probably because, of the slightly out of place feel they had relative to the rest of the comic. But this latest instance of it is just a little too much for me. I'm not sure if that's because the heroic stunts crossed some sort of line of unrealisticness, or because this time characters' lives are actually depending on them. Probably both.

Last edited by a moderator:

LatwPIAT

Validated User
I actually liked it before despite, or probably because, of the slightly out of place feel they had relative to the rest of the comic. But this latest instance of it is just a little too much for me. I'm not sure if that's because the heroic stunts crossed some sort of line of unrealisticness, or because this time characters' lives are actually depending on them. Probably both.
I dislike it, but I have high hopes that things will quickly clam down to serious light comedy about young adults struggling with the human condition again. I can live with the occasional eye-rolling part as long as I still get to enjoy intense interpersonal drama. And as long as Ruth appears in more strips. Ruth <3

Last edited:

Duskfire

Validated User
I'm a big fan of the comic, but I had been expecting some serious-but-not-fatal injury to Amazi-Girl by now, since I assumed part of her arc would entail being FORCED to reconsider her heroics and find a much healthier way to deal with her issues. I still hold out hope for that. Also, is Dina okay? It isn't clear to me what happened to her after she "clever girl"ed Toe-Dad and before he found Becky. Maybe that's something we find out after the kidnapping is foiled?

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Previous Amazi-girl bits had never read as over-the-top action to me. A bit surprisingly effective, perhaps, but an entirely different world from our current car-surfing level.

...In non-meta notes, the car would seem to be back to having nobody at the wheel, unless Toedad got himself back inside or Becky got her seatbelt off.
Also, is Dina okay? It isn't clear to me what happened to her after she "clever girl"ed Toe-Dad and before he found Becky. Maybe that's something we find out after the kidnapping is foiled?
Toedad claimed that he hadn't hurt anyone to Becky at the fountain after that. Unless he was lying she's probably okay.

Dulahan

Validated User
She did drop onto a semi in a similar feat earlier. (And seriously! Thanks for this thread! I've never bothered reading the gestalt webcomics one since I don't read many of them!) - the same rough arc where we had "Amazigirl? More like Squirrel Girl!"

Though I was definitely expecting this to be when she got seriously injured too.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Yeah, Amazi-Girl has done some crazy parkour stuff in the past, so this is within the realm of possibility (Especially since it looks like this whole ordeal has wrecked her physically).

I guess I'm in the minority that I don't particularly mind this becoming an action movie for five minutes.

Weebles

Validated User
Finally! One of my fave webcomics has its own thread! Didn't even think to check for a general webcomics thread. >_>

While I am also slightly strained in belief, the current action doesn't break for me. There have been zany comic style actions before. However, I do hope things peak with the current action, I wouldn't want Willis to try to top this down the road. Then again, maybe this is Amazigirl's last costume appearance, so he's milking it for what it's worth while he has it?

I doubt he'd kill her off so much as move her character arc along.

Top Bottom