• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Dungeonscape, Cityscape ... others?

Ifshnit

Holder of Shadows
I'll also recommend the environmental books, although I'd place Frostburn and Sandstorm ahead of Stormwrack in terms of content (but I'm probably biased since fire-based and frost-based mages are more my style - lots of exceptionally useful stuff in those two books). Plus, I found Of Ships and the Sea from 2nd edition to be more useful for water-based settings than Stormwrack.

Cityscape was lacking as others have mentioned. It just didn't seem to have enough in it. Dungeonscape is much better.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cityscape, personally, didn't merit a buy. A store perusal of it made it seem like there was a lot of copying/similarities to the free city building PDF you can download from the WotC website, and there wasn't really enough all-new material to justify buying it.
Perhaps I judged Cityscape unfairly by expecting it to be more than that DMG web enchancement, but what you said mirrored my impressions when I read Cityscape at the store.

I got a whole lot of mileage out of that little free PDF and I guess I just expected that a book on the subject would seem more valuable to me. *shrug*

Yak of Darkness

Strong! And I can kick!
Validated User
Perhaps I judged Cityscape unfairly by expecting it to be more than that DMG web enchancement
Eh, I wouldn't say you were judging it unfairly.

If you think a book's not worth buying because it doesn't give you anything significantly better than a free PDF placed online well over a year beforehand, that's pretty much just "judging it." ;)

WotC could've done so much more with it in that time. They didn't.

Nawara

Proud to be a
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd love to see some more 'scape books in the future, but I can't think of any other bases left that they haven't covered.
Temperate forests, rain forests, mediterranean-climate mountains, farming villages, swamps, savannahs, necropoli, sky/cloud cities, heaven, the elemental planes.

Some of those obviously have more versatility and potential than others, but each one could conceivably kick ass if written by the right author.

-Jeff

Valadorn

Mighty emperor of Rondar!
Temperate forests, rain forests, mediterranean-climate mountains, farming villages, swamps, savannahs, necropoli, sky/cloud cities, heaven, the elemental planes.

Some of those obviously have more versatility and potential than others, but each one could conceivably kick ass if written by the right author.

-Jeff
I'd love to see a wilderness one, maybe covering forests, jungles, plains, and swamps.

Wasn't there a 1e Wilderness Survival Guide?

There are also some Fantasy Flight Games books that cover the various areas of Dungeons, Wilderness, and Cities. I believe most were written my Mike Mearls, now an employee of WotC, and can be picked up inexpensively, depending on your timing.

Top Bottom