Dwarf Fortress To Be Released On Steam and Itch.io

Caseyg

Validated User
I don't know if I'll bother to play it, but twenty bucks is worth the fun I had with the game when I did play it, especially if the creator is having health issues.
Oh no! Really? What's wrong with him?

...or maybe I should ask which one since I thought it was two brothers behind the game.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've never really been able to get into playing the thing, but I had more fun reading the Boatmurdered story than I've had playing many other games.

Aquarius Alodar

Validated User
Oh no! Really? What's wrong with him?

...or maybe I should ask which one since I thought it was two brothers behind the game.
It is. And here's the point you seem to be looking for:

Tarn said:
We don't talk about this much, but for many years, Zach has been on expensive medication, which has fortunately been covered by his healthcare. It's a source of constant concern, as the plan has changed a few times and as the political environment has shifted. We have other family health risks, and as we get older, the precariousness of our situation increases; after Zach's latest cancer scare, we determined that with my healthcare plan's copay etc., I'd be wiped out if I had to undergo the same procedures. That said, crowdfunding is by far our main source of income and the reason we're still here. Your support is still crucial, as the Steam release may or may not bring us the added stability we're seeking now and it's some months away.
IOW the ideas guy 'Zach Adams' of the two has had, shall we say, a disquieting encounter.

Matt.Ceb

WH40k: An unending holy space Brexit. (Nic Rueben)
Validated User
Wait a second, a new UI with the steam release?!
Nothing announced or confirmed, sadly.

But to be perfectly honest, if the Steam version had an actually functional and non... Well... Insane UI/UX, I'd pay AAA full-price money for the release, no questions asked, no looking back.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User

But to be perfectly honest, if the Steam version had an actually functional and non... Well... Insane UI/UX, I'd pay AAA full-price money for the release, no questions asked, no looking back.
Yeah, when I saw the announcement, I'd assumed a new UI was an obvious first step. The screenshots look like the same familiar menu, though. Kinda a shame, since I'd say that's the single biggest real hurdle for new players. I've sunk hundreds, if not thousands, of hours into the game, and I still struggle with some of the more esoteric menus. Not to mention Dwarf Therapist practically being a necessity for larger forts last the time I played.

Strangething

Reptillian Humanoid
Validated User
Wait a second, a new UI with the steam release?!
Yeah, I jumped the gun on that. There's been no announcement regarding a UI overhaul.

But I imagine it's on Kitfox's list, after duplicating DF Hack and Text Will Be Text. DF is hard to play without Dwarf Therapist.

Giel M

Cheers!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Steam Workshop (IE modding) support IS announced though. My current plan is to buy on release, not touch it for six months, then read up and take my pick of UI mods helpful people will have written.

Memona

Corgi King
Validated User
Meh I think the UI needs more then modding can accomplish, it's likely something that would need some hard coding.
This is my understanding too. I was so surprised because a few years ago Tarn Adams discussed how he never planned to an UI change because it would take too long and would require the game to built from the ground up. I'm trying to find the source, but I think it was Rogue Like Radio. This was a few years ago, so people's minds do change in those years.

Top Bottom