• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Dwarf Fortress To Be Released On Steam and Itch.io

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Well that's disappointing, since he's earned millions and possibly is poised to earn more millions a good UI being beyond the scope of the commercial version feels a bit meh.
For most people it is.

Guidance:

Don't insinuate that creators should not be paid for their work.

Aeolusdallas

Validated User

Guidance:

Don't insinuate that creators should not be paid for their work.
I have been thinking of jumping back in to Dwarf Fortress for the last few weeks...This has certainly cemented that idea. So going to buy it on steam and will probably gift a few copies to friends as well.

Jay O' Bedlam

Gnostic Astronaut
Validated User
The Dwarf Fortress devs deserve all the commercial success they can achieve. They have created something very, very special. The primary motivation is obviously not financial, or they would have done something like this a long time ago. Whatever resources they can amass that will allow them to live long, healthy and fulfilling lives while continuing to create this mad genius of a project should be welcomed.

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
Adding a properly functional UI onto the kind of sprawling labyrinthine legacy hobby project DF is... might easily be a project from hell involving words like 'root and branch' and 'Codethulhu'. I can easily see it being beyond the scope of a two-person shop who need to have something to show this year, even money-no-object.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User

The Unshaven

Validated User
They sound like good people. I'll grab it off the itch.io store at some point so they get the best proportion of the sale.

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I may not ever play it (I'm not good at managing games, and especially games with a UI as arcane as Dwarf Fortress's), but I sure enjoy reading about it and I applaud the devs for chugging along, working on it for such a long time. I'll probably purchase a copy just for that.

Top Bottom