[Eberron] Demon Lords and Arch-devils

D. Archon

Error 404
Validated User
The thread about demon lords and arch devils got me thinking about their place in Eberron. Generally, it's all daelkyr this and quori that (not that i'm complaining, i love daelkyr and quori both), but what about our good buddy Orcus?

Jon Chung

I do it for the lulz
Validated User
Fiends in the Eberron setting are native to Eberron. The dragons bound them with the Silver Flame in the Age of Demons. Look up the rakshasa rajahs in your ECS.

The quori and daelkyr fill the "extraplanar nasty" slot quite well. Demons are home-grown. :)

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The 'named demons' are downplayed. They'd just invite comparisons to other settings, whereas Eberron stands on its own. (Also why they don't mention Spelljammer ships visiting or people getting transported to Ravenloft.)

You can add them easily enough - the biggest question would be how they fit in the Lords of Dust and the Rakshasas which are the default 'master fiends' of the Eberron setting.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
To give you an example, Keith Baker's conversions of the Savage Tide Adventure Path to Eberron have the following to say:

Spoiler: Show
Demogorgon is a powerful unique fiend from the Age of Demons, not on the level of a rajah but more powerful than the fiends who make up the Lords of Dust. While the Lords of Dust seek to free the rajahs from their prisons in Khyber, Demogorgon wishes to gain the power of a rajah for himself.

The underworld of Khyber is not an Underdark or Hollow Earth, but something of a world unto itself containing much more than the literal volume of Eberron would suggest is possible. Powerful fiends like Demogorgon have their realms here, in the heart of the Dragon Below. These places cannot be reached by mundane travel - getting there requires planes-travelling magic or knowledge of the secret paths from the surface down to the true depths of Khyber.

I like this idea, for some such entities. Others - I'm thinking especially of Bel, who is the general of the Nine Hells' armies in the Blood War - might be a better fit for Shavarath, leading the diabolical armies there, or as powerful rulers in places like Mabar or Dolurrh.

Pete Whalley

Has Destrucity!
Validated User
As far as specific fiends go, Levistus is mentioned as being imprisoned beneath the ice of the Frostfell, and is apparently a Rakshasa Rajah in the setting.

I have to say, I like the idea of the Demon Lords and Archdukes not being a big threat in Eberron, as there's plenty for them to do in GreyHawk, FR and the planes. Eberron has nasties of it's own to do the job.

KoboldLord

Validated User
You can pretty much scrap all the old affiliations, but most of the named fiends and celestials have a place in Eberron, if you want to put them somewhere. Virtually none of the Rajahs or Daelkyr have been named; Levistus was hinted as an example in one of the sourcebooks, but that's about it. The Quori leadership is unnamed, and both fiends and celestials can be converted to the arbitrarily large number of Radiant Idols in Khorvaire. Draconic-looking fiends like Tiamat can simply be unique dragons dating back to the beginning of the world, who may or may not still be alive in Argonessen today. Furthermore, if Khyber can have exemplar Rajah, so too can Syberis and Eberron. This is perhaps a good destination for the neutral and good alignment exemplars that don't fit in elsewhere.

Bear in mind that since the old affiliations are scrapped, (for example) Geryon could even be written to work alongside and cooperate with Orcus in some particular plot, without violating any sort of metaplot. If you've decided they're both Daelkyr in your game, then all of that Blood War business is simply apocryphal and you can proceed without risking a visit from the Planescape Metaplot Police.

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
Pretty much agree with the kobold on everything except the Quori. The Quori leadership and their nature has actualy been very clearly defined (albeit with the usual 'feel free to do your own thing in your games'), there are twelve Kalaraqs that make up the leadership of the Dreaming Dark, at least three of them have been named, and quori have a very specific temprement/agenda that doesn't really fit with most demons or devils (no personal ambition and all that).

If you don't fancy doing a lot of re-statting the easiest places to fit warlike outsiders of any alignment is Shavarath, the plane of battle, which has powerful outsiders of all alignments who spend all day killing each other Blood War style.

In any case, the theme with powerful outsiders does seem to be that barring the Rakshasa, their Rajahs, the Quori and the Quotl (even the Daelkyr haven't made a concentrated effort to escape their prisons, they just let their servants run rampant) they all have plenty of stuff to occupy them in their home planes and generally only interfere with Eberron if given a suitably enticing reason to break with the habits. Mostly so that Khorvaire isn't screwed over by its lack of non-evil high level characters.

KoboldLord

Validated User
Pretty much agree with the kobold on everything except the Quori. The Quori leadership and their nature has actualy been very clearly defined (albeit with the usual 'feel free to do your own thing in your games'), there are twelve Kalaraqs that make up the leadership of the Dreaming Dark, at least three of them have been named, and quori have a very specific temprement/agenda that doesn't really fit with most demons or devils (no personal ambition and all that).
I suppose a disclaimer is due, then. I haven't yet purchased Secrets of Sarlona, so I was going by the quori-as-fascists fluff in the previous sources, which leaves room for lawful exemplars to be modified for that purpose. If they've since been named, well, sorry about that.

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
I suppose a disclaimer is due, then. I haven't yet purchased Secrets of Sarlona, so I was going by the quori-as-fascists fluff in the previous sources, which leaves room for lawful exemplars to be modified for that purpose. If they've since been named, well, sorry about that.
Doesn't really matter or anything, I'd go with whatever works in my games over what's canon any day. For me personally it's not so much that SoS names and categorises the Quori as the fact that Quori have always had a very specific agenda (shaping peoples dreams via thought control in order to keep their world from dying/transforming) that doesn't really mesh well with most devils/angels as presented in the MM.

More options for lawful exemplars would be to lump them with the Lords of Dust if evil or have them be strange and powerful Quotl (who would currently be 'dead' and using their essence to maintain the Silver Flame... unless one of the fiends their binding were to break loose of course).

D. Archon

Error 404
Validated User
Great replies, thanks. :)

I'm more interested in using the daelkyr at this time, anyway. I was just curious, is all.

Top Bottom