• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Eclipse Phase] Custom BioMorph Rules

CodeBreaker

Validated User
I have spent the last few days tinkering with a custom ruleset for creating Custom BioMorphs that I think I have gotten to a decent enough point that it is easily usable and creates balanced Morphs. It uses an easy to follow step-by-step design process no more difficult than creating a Character, in fact it is probably easier because you don't need to work out things like Skills as much. Any feedback would be appreciated, along with any example Custom Morphs you may or may not make.

Creating a Custom Biological Morph

Houserule Methodology

1) Start with a basic Flat Biomorph (Page 139 EP Core)
2) Assign Implants, calculating the CP cost using the CP values provided. After adding up all the individual CP costs for the entire Implant package, round the CP cost to the nearest five to calculate the final Implant CP cost.
3) Assign Maximum Aptitude values, calculating the CP cost using the CP values provided.
4) Assign Durability, calculating the CP cost using the CP values provided. Would Threshold is innately linked to a Morphs Durability. Wound Theshold equals Durability divided by Five.
5) Assign Advantages and Disadvantages, calculating the CP cost using the CP values provided. Morph Traits bought during creation of a Custom Morph should be checked by the GM before being used.
6) Calculate the Credit Cost of the Custom Morph. Credit Cost is calculated using a Threshold system. When the total CP cost of a Morph moves over the Thresholds the Credit Cost increases to the specified cost.

CP Cost and Returns
For use with Creating a Custom Biological Morph

Implant Costs
Basic Implant Package = Free
One Low Cost Implant = +1.5CP
One Moderate Cost Implant = +3.3CP
One High Cost Implant = +20CP

Maximum Aptitude Costs/Returns

Every Point above Flat Baseline (20) = +1CP
Every Point below Flat Baseline (20) = -1CP

Durability Costs/Returns
Every Five Points of Durability above Flat Baseline (30) = +5CP
Every Five Points of Durability below Flat Baseline (30) = -5CP

Advantage and Disadvantage Costs/Returns
Every Positive Point of Aptitude Bonus = +1CP
Every Negative Point of Aptitude Bonus = -1CP
Every Positive Point of Skill Bonus = +1CP
Every Negative Point of Skill Bonus = -1CP
Positive Morph Traits have a CP Cost equal to those given on Pages 145-148 EP Core
Negative Morph Traits have a CP Return equal to half those given on Pages 148-152 EP Core
Unlisted Advantage = +5CP-+10CP (Subject to GM approval)

Credi Cost Thresholds

CP Cost is Greater than 25 - Credit Cost = Expensive
CP Cost is Greater than 40 - Credit Cost = Expensive(40,000)
CP Cost is Greater than 70 - Credit Cost = Expensive(50,000 Rare)
CP Cost is Greater than 100 - Credit Cost = Expensive(100,000)

Conditions
No Aptitude Bonus granted from the Advantages section may exceed +10
No Skill Bonus granted from the Advantages section may exceed +10

Suggestions (Subject to GM approval)

Any Morph that uses the Unlisted Advantage from the Advantages and Disadvantages section should be checked by a GM before use. Bonuses provided by this option have the potential to be game breaking.

Last edited:

CodeBreaker

Validated User
Morphs Created Using This System

The following is a quick representation of what the system of capable of. Some of these (Notably the Tachikoma) use a fair amount of GM Fiat, and bending the system slightly because of issues (The Tachikoma is a Synth, which is something the system cannot yet model).

Neo-Scorpio

When an extravagant Bioengineer first presented a schematic for a combat morph that took influences from the common Terran Scorpion his colleagues laughed at him and pointed him to the Fury model. Disheartened, but not disillusioned he decided to design it to its entirety anyway. The result was the Neo-Scorpio. Featuring a hardened outer shell, the ability to walk on almost any surface and a deadly stinger, it is quickly gaining acceptance as a capable alternative to the popular Fury, especially when upgraded further.

Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack, Poison Gland (BTX, Stinger), Grip Pads, Carapace Armour
Aptitude Maximum: 30
Durability: 40
Wound Threshold: 8
Advantages: 6 Legs, Stinger Attack (1d10DV, use Unarmed Combat skill, Applies Poison Gland), +5 SOM, +5 COO, +5 to one aptitude of the player's choice.
CP Cost: 55
Credit Cost: Expensive(40,000)

Neo-Dolphin

When the pioneers of Europa first drilled through the Ice Crust and delved into the freezing waters below they quickly found that they were in need of a Morph capable of venturing throughout them with the ease that the fish and aquatic mammals of Earth did. An enterprising Biotech company quickly rose to fill this niche and created the Neo-Dolphin Biomorph.

Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack, Clean Metabolism, Circadian Regulation, Echolocation, Enhanced Respiration, Oxygen Reserve, Temperature Tolerance
Advantages: Swimming (8/40), Limber (1), +5 to two aptitudes of the player's choice.
Disadvantages: Movement on Land (2/6)
Credit Cost: Expensive(40,000)

Tachikoma (Synthetic)

Multiple engagements between the secret organisations Firewall and Project Ozma have convinced Firewall that it needs a Synthetic Morph capable of standing toe-to-toe with anything the enemy can throw at it. The result was the Tachikoma, specially built to perform in nearly any environment with complete autonomy and competency. The current lack of lack of Vacuum capable movement is rumoured to of been addressed in a new model scheduled to be brought into operation in the near future.

Enhancements: Access Jacks, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack, Cyberbrain, 360 Vision, Chameleon Coating/Skin, Direction Sense, Enhanced Hearing, Enhanced Vision, Eidetic Memory, Grip Pads, Hardened Skeleton, Heavy Combat Armour, Hidden Compartment, Hyper Linguist, Math Boost, Mental Speed, Mnemonic Augmentation, Pneumatic Limbs, Puppet Sock, Weapon Mount, Wrist-Mounted Tools.
Mobility System: Walker (4/20) Wheeled (6/40) Web Sling (0/60)
Aptitude Maximum: 40
Durability: 80
Wound Threshold: 16
Advantages: Web Launcher Attack (Immobilising, use Exotic Ranged: Web Attack skill), +30 Exotic Ranged: Web Attack skill, +5 COO, +10 REF, +10 SOM, Armour 16/16
Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Full Robot), Large/Heavy
CP Cost: 170
Credit Cost: Expensive(100,000 Rare)

Last edited:

Fade

Validated User
I think your Implant costs are out. If you buy them with Credit (perfectly acceptable during chargen) the costs are:

Low: 1/4 CP
Moderate: 1 CP
High: 5CP
Expensive: 20CP

I don't see any reason to charge several times as much because the implant came automatically with the morph.

Epoch

aka Mike Sullivan
Validated User
I think your Implant costs are out. If you buy them with Credit (perfectly acceptable during chargen) the costs are:

Low: 1/4 CP
Moderate: 1 CP
High: 5CP
Expensive: 20CP

I don't see any reason to charge several times as much because the implant came automatically with the morph.
Well, I think that he's probably right in how he reverse-engineered them -- a lot of the starting morphs seem like they've got a somewhat high CP cost. But, obviously, if you open up the concept of a "morph building" system, you don't really want to give people incentive to make all their morphs with no built-in implants, and then buy their implants separately.

So, yeah, implants in the custom morph building rules should cost the same as implants do during character creation.

Victor Eremita

Banned
Good work!

I think it should really be used by GMs to make new mods rather than players, because it really begs for starting in morph that's hideously expensive, rar, one-of-a-kind (80 000+) aaaand basically a fury costing 20 CPs.

Even you AGI utility mod is much better than Exalt, for example. it's cheaper, giving you much more aptitudes (and there is really no way to increase your COG with 'ware and basically every profession or technical skill is COG, so COG bonuses are big) and it's cheaper. It has Uncanny Valley, but every morph and their clanking grandma has one.

Or maybe you could make ingame cost purely a function of CP cost, so you can't take CP discount for credit cost. That would make custom morphs less efficient than morphs from book, but since they are playercreated, they are going to be minmaxed anyway, so that's no worry.

Are you going to create any more morphs? That scorpion sounded really nice (with nanovenom and likes). I had an idea of cross between Sylp and Fury called Amazon -- formely designed for a "tribe" of anarchofeminists, now build more in male variant for hyperelites who like to think about themself as of capable warriors (because bodyguards are so uncool). Yeah, I can just take Sylp and slap on neurachem and hardened skeleton, but you know ...

CodeBreaker

Validated User
On Implant Costs:
Yeah, I was aware this was a problem. The numbers I am using is a direct reverse-engineer of the samples given. Using the CP costs that are used for pushing the Implants normally means that you end up with an end CP cost that is sometimes wholly unbalanced compared to the samples. If I was going to do this I would probably end up rewriting all of the sample Morphs to do the same, simply to make it balanced. This is something I am willing to do, it would not take that long, but I cannot imagine it would get much use outside of my own table. Suggestions on how I might go about fixing this?

On the sample Morph, yeah that is a function of the Drawback system. I might change it so that Drawbacks taken on custom Morphs only give half of their CP return back. That would balance it out a bit more. And so it is not completly useless I could have it so that those Morph Traits do not count towards the Trait limits normally applied. Also, just to say, Uncanny Valley *is* a fairly good disadvantage. -10 to all Social Rolls is not something to be laughed at, especially if your GM calls for Socials quite often.

Your suggestion on Credit Cost being a factor of CP cost without any benefit is actually a fairly good one. Could explain it by saying that the Sample Morphs given are mass produced so they are slightly more efficient. Would have to work out some Thresholds though.

Last edited:

CodeBreaker

Validated User
Are you going to create any more morphs? That scorpion sounded really nice (with nanovenom and likes).
Just for you, Sure! This is the Neo-Scorpio, it took 5 minutes to write up, 10 minutes to make it look nice. I am not sure how Poison Gland works, if it makes its Poison for free or not. If it does, the CP cost is correct. If it does not you add another 20CP to it for a total of 75.

On Credit Cost/CP Threshold ratios, this might work:
Expensive: 25CP
Expensive(40,000): 40CP
Expensive(50,000): 70CP

If your CP Cost is above the threshold, it costs that much during play. Those numbers are off the top of my head and it is not tested yet. They do seem to be balanced off the top of my head at the moment.

Neo-Scorpio
Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack, Poison Gland (BTX, Stinger), Grip Pads, Carapace Armour
Advantages: 6 Legs, Stinger Attack (1d10 DV, use Unarmed Combat Skill, Applies Poison Gland), +5 SOM, +5 COO, +5 to one aptitude of the player's choice.
Cost: Expensive(40,000 Minimum)

That uses the Credit Cost Thresholds with no return. With returns it is 45CP.

Last edited:

Victor Eremita

Banned
Squeeeee! You're the best!

Thanks for the scorpion. Grip pads, that means it can walk on ceilings and drop on people. Now I totally imagine crazy religious sect of assassins who are using these morps for killing people because they think scorpion is the ultimate predator, even though anyone knows that cheap Case or Synth with nanovenom is much better tool for the job ;) Also, there needs to be some hyperelite using them as pets and guardians in his private jungle asteroid who sometimes sleeves into one and goes hunting for trespassers on his own. And they have integrated lasers, of course. And nobody wants to tell hit that scorpions really don't live in the jungle. Or he could have pyraminds on Mars with scorpions and everything!

Anyway, back to reality. I was thinking about the rules, and what about durability and wound treshold? I thought that WT is calculated from DUR, because there are mods (like enhanced skeleton or that artifical blood) that increase your DUR and do nothing with WT. Seems that's not the case. <kreia voice>Most courious.</kreia voice>

Also, you're right that I underestimated Uncanny Valley. That means that Synths are really screwed when it comes to dealing with people, with their Uncanny Valley and Social stigma. That is ... actually ... not exactly surprising.

CodeBreaker

Validated User
Anyway, back to reality. I was thinking about the rules, and what about durability and wound treshold? I thought that WT is calculated from DUR, because there are mods (like enhanced skeleton or that artifical blood) that increase your DUR and do nothing with WT. Seems that's not the case. <kreia voice>Most courious.</kreia voice>
I actually forgot to add a Prehensile Tail on it as well, which I imagine it should have. And maybe some Claws. At the moment it doesn't have claws because I imagine it more like a normal human torso stuck onto a Scorpian like thorax or something. If you wanted to add claws however that is not difficult, just add a Claws Attack (1d10, uses Unarmed) as a 5CP Unlisted Bonus.

I am not sure, but the way I am handling Durability/WT at the moment fits with that. You buy your initial Wound Threshold, and then calculate Durability off of that. Any modifications to Durability do not affect Wound Threshold, which it would if it was calculated the other way around. Unless buying Increased Skeleton is meant to increase your Wound Threshold, which I dont think it should.

(Durability = WT * 5 +- Any Modifiers) is what it is right now. If it was the other way it would be (WT = Durability/5 +- Any Modifiers) which does not work as well. If it does work that way it is an easy fix though. Just means that to buy 5 Durability costs 5CP, and then work out WT from that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom