• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Eclipse Phase - FU hack

Silverwave

Retired User
So I've made a FU hack for Eclipse Phase.

I love the EP setting but don't like the system much. Too clunky for my liking. So I've made this hack to have lighter, faster and easier rules to play within the wonderful Eclipse Phase universe.

So here's the link : Eclipse Phase - FU hack

If you don't know the FU system, it's worth a try; it's free!
http://perilplanet.com/FU/

By the way, if you have any comments, suggestions or spot errors (english isn't my native language so there must be some), please feel free !

Sebmojo

Interesting... but wouldn't take an awful lot of on the fly reskinning to work?

I've had a lot of success just using Rolemaster combat and skills - you can pretty much plug in the EP numbers and it works fine.

BlazmoIntoWowee

Werewolf Sheriff
Damn, I was all excited to read this, then I realized I don't know nearly enough about Eclipse Phase to understand even a little of it. Nice layout, though. Did you scratch build the character sheet or use the template I posted on the Yahoo! group?

Rob

Validated User
Great work, very appreciated! I´ve been thinking about looking for another system for Eclipse Phase. FU seems a little too light but it is very cool. MNow that you made all the conversion work, maybe I should give it a try. :)

Silverwave

Retired User
Damn, I was all excited to read this, then I realized I don't know nearly enough about Eclipse Phase to understand even a little of it. Nice layout, though. Did you scratch build the character sheet or use the template I posted on the Yahoo! group?
I used the template Nathan gave me. I asked him by email a while back for his character sheet template he've made for FU for a zombie apocalypse hack of mine. I've modified it a bit so that all pieces required for EP would fit without messing up the design.

It is true that you must know the Eclipse Phase setting a bit to understand much of the hack, though I've never read the EP rulebook all the way through yet (I WILL do that after christmas). I've just read the Quick-Play rules and then read rules I wanted to cover for the hack, making sure that all pieces would be covered (well, most of it). So, yeah you need to know about EP but it doesn't require a deep knowledge.

Great work, very appreciated! I´ve been thinking about looking for another system for Eclipse Phase. FU seems a little too light but it is very cool. MNow that you made all the conversion work, maybe I should give it a try. :)
You're welcome! I can't stress you enough to try it. FU runs very smoothly and it looks shallow but trust me, it IS deep and rich ! You just need to trust your imagination and creativity a little bit more than some bigger systems. Those systems provides you with every single little rules you need but, in my mind, that makes them rigid. Much is left to your discretion with FU but you'd find that you can mostly cover every aspects with ease. You just need to stop for a minute, think about it and it'll come to you and you'll be amased by how simple it is. For example, when I was making this EP hack, I asked myself how to cover stress, tauma and derangements. Conditions was the answer.

One big no-no's for a lot of people is the lack of HP/soak/AC mechanics. Well, there's a lot of way you can play with the FU tools to make something up. Personally, what I do, I use conditions to track "wounds". As you can notice on the FU EP character sheet, I've listed those conditions : Damaged, Wounded, Dying. I've reuse the EP terminology for a reason. In EP, you would track damage and when you got a lot of damage, you get wounds. The same would apply with FU but differently. As with all checks in FU, you have to ask a question. It could be "Do I hit my opponent?" but I prefer something like "Do I get the edge over my opponent(s)". The second enables you to have a whole round of combat or an entire encounter covered in a single check. You get a "yes", you damage your opponent. You get a "no", he damages you. I use conditions more or less like a health tracker. The first time you get hit, you become "damaged". The second time you're "wounded". The thrid time you get "dying", which means you're in big trouble. At this point, you have 3 conditions, that means you get 3 penalty die to your checks. Also, conditions aren't just for adding bonus or penalty die. They actually MEAN something. Dying is pretty obvious : you're freakin' about to die! Do something quick about it if you don't want your precious Morph to be destroyed. No soak ? Think again. You get a great armor, add a condition "armored". It could either give you a bonus die for a defense/soak roll if you use them or just remove the condition the first time you're hit, effectively giving you an additionnal "HP". Here again, conditions do means more than just game effects. If you buy a cheap light armor, your GM is all in his rights if he denies you your armored bonus against heavier weapons. Armored Clothing could be fair game against a knife, but it won't protect you against most rifles. Also, you can use Moxie points to soak damage.

Last edited:

Silverwave

Retired User
Interesting... but wouldn't take an awful lot of on the fly reskinning to work?
Not really. Rules that are taken from the EP rulebook are only used as descriptors or conditions on the FU system which are really only "words". For example, the "stress, trauma and derangement" EP concept is translated in conditions on FU system. When you would get stress damage in EP, you can only apply the "stressed" condition in FU. Essentially, all the game mechanics from FU stays the same except for Rep and Cred where it's mostly like in EP but streamlined and simplified a bit (like a single Rep score instead of tracking down every different a-rep, e-rep, etc separately).

It's not really reskinning. It's more like using the FU system with some added content and use it in the fabulous EP setting.
It really runs smoothly. It's not like having modified EP rules.

Wightbred

Validated User
Nice hack.

(Wasn't really looking for errors, but notice you need another P in the Grappled condition.)

Silverwave

Retired User
I've just noticed I didn't include anything to support Psi. Well, there is Trait descriptor when you gain advancement so you could pick up Psi trait but how rules are written as of now, it couldn't be gained at character creation.
I'll add a Psi paragraph soon but for the moment, the easiest way to manage this is to enable characters to take Psi as a skill descriptor. In EP game terms, taking the Psi descriptor would be the same as having the Psi trait and training in Control, Psi assault and Sense, in other words you get everything you need to actually use Psi sleights. You can also use Psi-gamma when choosing this descriptor. Characters with this descriptor have 5 psi-chi and 5 psi-gamma. They can gain other sleights ingame without having to take other descriptors. It is up to the GM to decide how this happens and at what cost. The GM should keep in mind that asyncs has to cope with several side-effects (1-day derangement when resleeving, strain, morph fever, vulnerability to mental stress, etc) and make them come into play from time to time to challenge the Psi characters. Also, to emulate the strain gaind from using Psi, a character would gain the "strained" condition when using Psi sleights extensively. This condition could go even further if the character continues using Psi afterward. It could lead to unconsciousness or even death if it is used with excess.

I'll probably do a new version of the pdf this week with added Psi paragraph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom