• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Eclipse Phase] Rimward!

Neongelion

Validated User
On the topic of "odd couple" type match-ups, have any of the EP books touched upon what is likely to happen when a Firewall crew tasked with dealing with some Random Existential Threat bump into an Oversight team doing the same?
Yes, actually. It's in Gatecrashing. I won't spoil it, but for once the Oversight agent(s) aren't the scheming villains. In fact there's a suggested plot hook for an unprecedented alliance between Firewall and Oversight (temporarily, of course ;)). What would bring them together exactly? Read the book :>

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In the (2 player) game I'm in, I'm playing a DirAct merc who toes the "hypercapitalism is good" party line pretty well. But in two missions, he has selected the same "Molotov-throwing Anarchist-type" for his team twice, now, despite the vast gulf between them. He's good at what he does, you see, and when it comes to protecting transhumanity from X-Threats, that's the important thing.

(They're also hilarious together. It's like The Odd Couple, in space.)
Yeah, but Soren never struck me as ... particularly patriotic or radical.

NateD

Existentially indifferent
Validated User
Nyoah, someone that knows the game! Thanks, man! :)

But yeah, Soren's not too opinionated on the matter, but I am enjoying portraying his unintentional biases - Anarchism would never work, you know, and don't get him started on Jovians! - but also, whether he has issues or not, I can see a lot of people having issues with him, or at least what he represents.

EarthScorpion

Nascent Cosmic Horror
Validated User
I would love a Planetary Consortium - focused book, complete with support for running an Oversight (or even Project Ozma) campaign. The one time I tried running Eclipse Phase it petered out because the players - and myself to be honest - just couldn't take Firewall or outer-system anarchism seriously, but I think I could definitely sell a "Public Security Section 9 by way of Delta Green" game.
Yeah, gods yes. As far as I'm concerned, the interesting and playable bits of the setting are in the Inner System. And a Stand Alone Martian game of Oversight or other PC agents on Mars chasing criminals and getting involved in plots is basically just more interesting. And lets me censor the poor Outer System character concepts which a lot of people tend to produce - usually the kind of person who doesn't acknowledge that EP is a horror setting and, no, resleeving is not trivial.

AWOL Joe

Ferret & Aviation Fan
Validated User
In the (2 player) game I'm in, I'm playing a DirAct merc who toes the "hypercapitalism is good" party line pretty well. But in two missions, he has selected the same "Molotov-throwing Anarchist-type" for his team twice, now, despite the vast gulf between them. He's good at what he does, you see, and when it comes to protecting transhumanity from X-Threats, that's the important thing.

(They're also hilarious together. It's like The Odd Couple, in space.)
Kind of off-topic, but you guys actually managed to interpret Maçon differently than I did when I first pitched him. I'd always pictured him as more Barsoomian than Anarchist, far more interested in getting the peoples' voices heard when planning Martian terraforming and ending exploitative planned obsolescence of morphs than having any allegiance to a particular political philosophy. The "bomb-throwing" bit just happens to be him deciding that the best way for him to do that was to force the hypercorps to waste a bunch of money replacing the infrastructure he breaks.

Crowbar

Dance Commander
Was that a thing?
Historically or in the movie? It totally was in the movie - they all pull out guns and get angry, but one of the Mossad defuses the situation by claiming to be part of a different paramilitary organisation that isn't an enemy of PLO. They agree to share the safehouse. There's a funny silent argument over the radio, and an interesting scene where the main character (Mossad, natch) discusses politics with one of the Palestinians.

I seem to recall the movie being pretty good. It must be, since wonderfully tense scenes like the above have stuck in my memory after all these years.

Top Bottom