• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Eclipse Phase][Storyteller] Converting Eclipse Phase to the World of Darkness

LatwPIAT

Validated User
Both Eclipse Phase and the World of Darkness are settings filled with dark conspiracies hiding behind the veil, full of terrible monsters that hold no love for humanity, are are suffused with an all-pervasive paranoia. However, while Eclipse Phase is mechanically simple (in the rules-medium kind of way), it is not mechanically elegant - every part of the ST system is made to interact beautifully with the other parts, while EP looks like it was cobbled together by someone who'd been told how Call of Cthulhu works by a man whose had one beer too many - and it's somewhat slower than the ST system used in the new World of Darkness. Hence, I decided to write a small conversion between the two.

Character Creation

Instead of assigning dots to attributes, skills, merits and morality, purchase new dots for experience points.

Attributes: Spend 170 XP to purchase dots in attributes. At least 30 XP must be spent in each category.
Skills: Spend 153 XP to purchase dots in skills. At least 12 XP must be spent in each category. You still receive 3 free specialties.
Merits: Spend 32 XP to purchase merits.

After assigning dots, choose whether to apply a transhuman template. These are used to create either AGI or uplifted characters.

Lucidity
Traits: Composure + 5
Lucidity measures the mental well-being of your character. As you experience the horrors of death and depravity, you will accumulate mental stress. (This Advantage is mechanically similar to Health, and each dot in Lucidity has an empty check-box underneath it. Mark the third-right-most "-1", the second-right-most "-2", and the third right-most "-3", just as with Health.) Each point of mental stress accumulated reduces your character's Lucidity by 1. When the Lucidity pool is 3, subtract 1 from all skills. When the Lucidity pool is 2, subtract 2 from all skills. When the Lucidity pool is 1, subtract 3 from all skills. Lucidity damage comes in three forms: Stress (marked by a "/"), Traumatic (marked by an "X"), and Eldritch (marked by an "*").

Stress damage is caused by helplessness, betrayal, isolation, loss, witnessing extreme violence, experiencing a peaceful death, or encountering non-sapient aliens or advanced technology.
Traumatic damage is caused by committing extreme violence, awareness of the inevitability of one's imminent death, experiencing someone's death via eXperience Playback, experiencing a violent death, watching as a loved one dies, encountering a truly gruesome murder scene, viewing torture, encountering sapient aliens, or encountering Exurgent-infected transhumans.
Eldritch damage is caused by murdering a loved one, being tortured, encountering hostile aliens, encountering Exurgents, or being infected by an Exurgent virus.

When the entire Lucidity track is filled with Stress damage, your character has become so overwhelmed by the stresses of their experiences that they pick up a mild Derangement.
When the entire Lucidity track is filled with Traumatic damage, your character is so traumatized they either pick up a mild Derangement that quickly develops into a major one, or one of their mild Derangements become a severe one.
When the entire Lucidity track is filled with Eldritch damage, your character has truly gone mad. The character is completely unplayable without any hope of recovering, and can for all purposes be considered dead.

Lucidity damage can be healed through psychotherapy. Lucidity damage can be healed as an extended action by a character with a well-grounded knowledge of psychology or psychotherapy. Roll Empathy + Science, requiring 5 successes per point of Stress, 10 successes per point of Trauma, and 15 successes per point of Eldritch damage. Each roll represents 20 minutes of uninterrupted psychotherapy in quiet surroundings. Characters cannot heal themselves this way.

Once all stress has been removed, a mild Derangement can be healed with 40 successes and a severe Derangement can be downgraded to a mild one with 80 successes. Note that although each psychotherapy roll represents 20 minutes of uninterrupted therapy, the therapist and the patient don't have to spend 40 continuous hours to cure a major Derangement, or even 8 hours for a mild Derangement. Derangements can be cured in 5-success chunks.

Per Stress-less month, a character may roll Resolve + Composure. If successful, they heal 1 point of Stress damage, or one mild Derangement.
Per two months of no Stress, a character may roll Resolve + Compsure. If successful, they heal 1 point of Trauma damage, or downgrade a severe Derangement to a mild one.
Per three months of no Stress, a character may roll Resolve + Composure. If successful, they heal 1 point of Eldritch damage.

Derangements that aren't gained from Morality loss can't be healed by Morality gain. However, a mild Derangement caused by Morality loss that was upgraded into a severe Derangement by Lucidity damage can be downgraded to a mild Derangement by Morality gain.

Skills

Conspiracy Theories
The Conspiracy Theories skill replaces the Occult skill. The Conspiracy Theories skill reflects a character's knowledge and experience with the various theories and rumours concerning backroom dealings, dirty secrets, skeletons in the closets, secret bases, coverups, what They are up to, who They really are, the Truth, and the meaning behind seemingly unconnected events. A character with this skill not only knows about the many theories and rumours concerning corporations, politicians, aliens and TITANs, but may also be able to discern "truth" from mad ramblings. This skill is distinct from knowledge about politics; Conspiracy Theories is about having knowledge of secrets.
Possessed by: Anthropologists, authors, conspiracy theorists, politicians, secret societies
Specialities: Factors, The Fall, Hypercorporations, Outer-System Politics, Secret Societies, TITANs

ROLL RESULTS
Dramatic Failure: As Occult, although the ST is encouraged to spin a wild tale for the player to have recalled about how it was really all a part of the Illuminati's plan for taking over the world. Or Majestic 12. Or the reptilians. Or the Twelve Unknown.
Failure: As Occult
Success: As Occult, replacing "an example of occult phenomena" with "a relevant conspiracy theory".
Exceptional Success: Your character is able to see the connections behind the veil of lies. She can in great detail remember relevant facts about a related, similar, or otherwise connected case involving conspiracies, often drawing the right connections to previous characters, places or events she or the troupe have become aware of through their investigations. Not only does she note that the method of assassination used was similar to one where OZMA agents were suspected to have been involved, but she remembers that the politician she's currently investigating was also rumoured to have been blackmailed as part of the cover-up.

Athletics - Freefall
Dice Pool: Dexterity + Athletics + equipment
Action: Instant
A character can move at their speed in microgravity without issue. In order to move at unsafe speeds without going off course, crashing into someone or something, or other problems, roll the indicated dice pool and add the number of successes to the character's Speed for that turn.
Dramatic Failure: In addition to not managing to move any faster, the character is thrown wildly off course and may very well collide painfully with nearby walls or objects - treat at falling damage - or even be thrown off on a course into deep space!
Failure: The character moves at their normal Speed, and is thrown somewhat off course. If they were aiming for another character, they miss that character.
Success: The character does not deviate from their course, and may add their number of successes to their Speed.
Exceptional Success: The character does not deviate from their course, and may add twice their number of successes to their Speed.
Suggested Equipment: Extra hands (+1), pole (+2), wings in an atmosphere (+2), microgravity propulsion system (+3)

When in microgravity environments, Dexterity + Athletics may also be used instead of Strength + Athletics for "jumping" and "foot chases". If these skills are used in microgravity environments, use the character's actual Speed instead of their modified one, if they've used freefall to increase their Speed that turn.

Drive
As with Planes, Spacecraft cannot be piloted without a Spacecraft specialty.
Specialties: all specialties from normal drive, Power Armour, Spacecraft

Networking
Use Persuasion - Cutting a Deal, Streetwise or other relevant social skills.

Morphs - Human Biomorphs
All biomorphs except flats have Fast Healer by default.

Flat
Flats are normal humans, just like you and I. They're still around, especially in places like the Jovian Republic.
Attribute Maximum: 4
Cost: 0

Splicer
Splicers are a common form of gene-fixed humans. They have been genetically engineered for health, fitness and beauty, with almost all genetic disorders removed.
Attribute Maximum: 5
Advantages: +* to one attribute of the player's choice
Implants: TBD when I cover how implants work
Cost: *

Exalt
Exalts are genetically enhanced humans, beyond even what the splicers can offer.
Attribute Maximum: 6
Advantages: +* to one attribute of the player's choice, +* to Stamina and Intelligence or Wits
Implants: See above
Cost: **

Menton
Mentons are genetically engineered towards intelligence, being smarter, learning faster, more creative and better at remembering.
Advantages: +** to Intelligence, +* to Wits Stamina, Composure and one other Attribute of the player's choice, Eidetic Memory

Olympian
Olympians are transhumans with highly improved physical capabilities. They are common among athletes, dancers, soldier, bodybuilders and criminals.
Advantages: +** to Strength and Stamina, +* to Dexterity and one other skill of the player's choice.

Sylphs
Tailor made to be beautiful for media icons and socialites. Sylphs have elfin features, are lithe and ethereal, and have sanitized metabolisms.
Advantages: +** to Presence, +* to Stamina, Dexterity and one other skill of the player's choice, Striking Looks **

Bouncer
Bouncers are adapted for microgravity environments by replacing their feet with hands
Advantages: +* to Strength, Stamina, Dexterity and one other skill of the player's choice.
Disadvantages: -1 to speed when walking bipedaly

Furies
Furies are combat morphs optimized for endurance, strength and reflexes. They have had behavioural modifications to increase their aggression and tactical acumen. In order to reduce traditionally male violent hierarchical posturing, they're almost exclusively female.
Attribute Maximum: 8 (Stamina), 6 (all others)
Advantages: +**** to Stamina, +** to Strength, +* to Dexterity, Composure and one attribute of the player's choice, Fast Reflexes ** (from neurachem), 1/2 armor (from bioweave), Toxin Resistance (from Toxin filters)
Cost: ****

Futura
The Futura morph was a special version of the Exalt made for the Futura project, which aimed to boost "birth" rates by raising cloned children in accelerated virtual environments. It ended badly, and the few morphs that escaped are now either worn by their original owners of collector's items. Or dead.
Advantages: +** to one of Composure or Resolve, +* to Intelligence, Stamina, Presence and one other skill of the player's choice.
Disadvantages: -1 to speed when walking bipedaly

Ghosts
Ghosts are similar to Furies, but are built for infiltration rather than combat.
Attribute Maximum: 7 (stamina), 6 (all others)
Advantages: +*** to Stamina, +** to Dexterity, +* to Strength, Composure, and one other skill of the player's choice.
Cost: ****

Hibernoids
Hibernoids are modified splicers that have been genetically altered to both need less sleep and be able to enter a state of hibernation.
Advantages: +* Wits, Stamina, and one other skill of the player's choice.
Cost: ***

Neotenics
Child-sized, teenage-proportioned morphs.
Attribute Maximum: 4 (Strength), 6 (all others)
Advantages: +* to Dexterity, Wits and one other skill of the player's choice, Neotenics are size 4.
Cost: *

Remade
Remade are the homo superior, the Human 2.0, the übermensch. They're rebuild from the ground up to be the perfect human body with powerful mental and physical capabilities. Due to their physical structure and uncanny intelligence, most people tend to find them rather unerring, if not creepy.
Attribute Maximum: 8
Advantages: +** to Strength, Stamina and Intelligence, +* to Presence and two other skills of the player's choice, Eidetic Memory, Strong Lungs (from Enhanced Respiration, Toxin Resistance (from Toxin Filters)
Cost: ***

Rusters
Splicers adapted to live on Mars.
Advantages: +* to Strength, Stamina and one other skill of the player's choice, Strong Lungs (from Enhanced Respiration)

Last edited:

Emerald Samurai

Retired User
I have never played EP, but I have read about it and what I've read makes me want to try it and play it and love it and... uhm, maybe we should move on.

I have played WoD. A lot. That doesn't mean I know every rule, but I like to think about myself as rather savvy on the subject. That being said, I think your conversion still needs some work. Here's what I can think of, right off the bat:

Buying stuff at character creation with XP is a bad idea. The dot and points are simple and much easier to calculate than a whole bunch of experience, mostly because they aren't so darn many. Keep to the simple points, but use the idea they presented in the Mirrors supplement: Instead of assigning 5-4-3, assign 12 points over the whole board (and perhaps say that everyone has to put at least one point into each category; ment-phys-soc). You can even say that characters start with more than 12 points. You can do the same with Skills: instead of 11-7-4, you get one pool of 22. One of the things I like about WoD is that you don't have to spend hours making a character, because you don't have to spend hours doing some calculations.

As with your ideas of new Skills, I don't really like the idea of Conspiracy Theories as a whole Skill. Or, to be specific, I don't really like the name. You could replace it with Enigmas, and split the focus of the Skill between that and Investigation.

As for Morphs, I haven't read EP to really comment on it.

Overall, I really suggest you read Mirrors, and even Bleeding Edge and Infinite Macabre. They're a good read and have some cool ideas that I think might fit with an EP game.

LatwPIAT

Validated User
I have never played EP, but I have read about it and what I've read makes me want to try it and play it and love it and... uhm, maybe we should move on.

I have played WoD. A lot. That doesn't mean I know every rule, but I like to think about myself as rather savvy on the subject. That being said, I think your conversion still needs some work. Here's what I can think of, right off the bat:

Buying stuff at character creation with XP is a bad idea. The dot and points are simple and much easier to calculate than a whole bunch of experience, mostly because they aren't so darn many. Keep to the simple points, but use the idea they presented in the Mirrors supplement: Instead of assigning 5-4-3, assign 12 points over the whole board (and perhaps say that everyone has to put at least one point into each category; ment-phys-soc). You can even say that characters start with more than 12 points. You can do the same with Skills: instead of 11-7-4, you get one pool of 22. One of the things I like about WoD is that you don't have to spend hours making a character, because you don't have to spend hours doing some calculations.
I chose to replace the current dot system with a pure XP cost because the RAW nWoD system favours certain builds when it comes to point-efficiency. For example, character A has three dots to spend on three Attributes. They divide their points evenly. Character B puts all their three points into one of those Attributes. Character A wants to spend XP to raise an Attribute to 4. Character B wants to raise all their Attributes to at least 2. Character A will spend 35 XP, while Character B will spend 20 XP. This means that despite having the exact same stats, Character B has a 15-point XP advantage over Character A. Just allowing players to spend their dots "across the board" doesn't actually help with this at all. (In fact, it favours even more broken builds - 4 attributes at 4 dots is worth more than 6 attributes at 3 dots, for example; 30 XP more, in fact.)

Just giving players XP to buy up their characters' stats with solves this imbalance. (For the record, the amount of XP is equal to the optimal strategy for each field.)

It could be made to look less intimidating by replacing the XP costs with the quadratic "new dot" cost for each field, but that would be a less succinct replacement, and would get awkward when you introduce at-chargen XP on top of that, as the corebook suggests. Not particularly more crunchy than the current system in the World of Darkness core book though. But building characters with XP took me less time to write.

Emerald Samurai

Retired User
Just giving players XP to buy up their characters' stats with solves this imbalance. (For the record, the amount of XP is equal to the optimal strategy for each field.)

It could be made to look less intimidating by replacing the XP costs with the quadratic "new dot" cost for each field, but that would be a less succinct replacement, and would get awkward when you introduce at-chargen XP on top of that, as the corebook suggests. Not particularly more crunchy than the current system in the World of Darkness core book though. But building characters with XP took me less time to write.
The thing I don't like about using XP to build a character using the WoD XP system is the amount of calculus required. It also means that most characters are more likely to buy the Attributes evenly, which is not necessarily as good a thing as you like to think. If all characters are equally balanced, all characters are equally likely to succeed at everything they attempt. If they are not as equally balanced using XP, they might as well be using the original system. Yes, it does allow you to use all your points to become more powerful in one thing over another, but how is it a bad thing to allow one character (and thus one player) to shine? Others will get their turn if you are a half-decent ST.

But this is just my preference. It hasn't been my experience that players misuse the points system much.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We use EP based generation for our WoD derived hombrews all the time. works marvellous.

I'd also tie Lucidity to Resolve.

LatwPIAT

Validated User
Only thing I don't get is why Neotonics are mechanically superior to Splicer morphs.
Neotenics are basically Exalts with induced neoteny, and the neoteny only affects the SOM-group; i.e. mostly strength-based things.

The thing I don't like about using XP to build a character using the WoD XP system is the amount of calculus required.
Are you sure you actually mean "calculus"? Certain GURPS books actually require calculus, but I can assure you there's no calculus required to build a character with XP.

It also means that most characters are more likely to buy the Attributes evenly, which is not necessarily as good a thing as you like to think. If all characters are equally balanced, all characters are equally likely to succeed at everything they attempt. If they are not as equally balanced using XP, they might as well be using the original system. Yes, it does allow you to use all your points to become more powerful in one thing over another, but how is it a bad thing to allow one character (and thus one player) to shine? Others will get their turn if you are a half-decent ST.
One of my fundamental rules of game design is that you should never force a GM to fix a system's flaws. As a GM, I don't want to have to do extra work because the system I work with is badly designed. I have therefore fixed the flawed rule.

We use EP based generation for our WoD derived hombrews all the time. works marvellous.

I'd also tie Lucidity to Resolve.
Hmm, that might actually be better than a flat +5 bonus. I wanted to make it equal to how Health is determined since that's how Eclipse Phase does it[1], but Composure + Lucidity + 3 might work better. However, it scales differently, because while Health ranges from 6 to 10, Lucidity would then range from 5 to 13.

[1] Durability in Eclipse Phase isn't actually determined per se, but since all transhuman stats average 15, and average DUR is 30, it doesn't seem too unlikely that the underlying assumption is that DUR is basically twice of an invisible CON stat.

Currently, I'm planning to have your starting morph be determined by a Trait called, well, "Starting Morph". It can have 0 to 5 dots in it, and your starting morph can be any morph with a cost of that many dots. For scaling-purposes, I just made 20 CP worth of CP cost for a morph be worth a dot; this makes infomorphs and flats cost 0, and Reapers cost *****, which seems reasonable.

Jon Chung

I do it for the lulz
Validated User
The thing I don't like about using XP to build a character using the WoD XP system is the amount of calculus required.
It's just arithmetic. You write stuff down on a scrap paper and keep a running total. This is fundamentally no different than using point assignation pools, you simply deal with larger numbers. I'm sure most modern gamers have access to handy electronic devices to assist in this task, if pencil and paper are too inconvenient.

It also means that most characters are more likely to buy the Attributes evenly, which is not necessarily as good a thing as you like to think. If all characters are equally balanced, all characters are equally likely to succeed at everything they attempt. If they are not as equally balanced using XP, they might as well be using the original system.
This is an insane definition of balance. Strawman. Balance does not mean being identical in every way.

Yes, it does allow you to use all your points to become more powerful in one thing over another, but how is it a bad thing to allow one character (and thus one player) to shine? Others will get their turn if you are a half-decent ST.
It's possible for two people to enter chargen, and the resultant characters ending up with one having a 100 XP lead over the other due to winning the chargen soybean trading minigame. In this case, that's about, assuming 5 XP a session, 1 session a week, five months of realtime worth of character advancement, or almost half a year-long campaign. Should the players later figure this out, that isn't going to end well. Do you think most players will accept being docked half a year's worth of XP based on a stupid bug that says that their concept gets penalized 100 XP while someone else's equally valid concept doesn't? No, right? That would be horribly unbalanced and unfair.

So, in allowing this scenario to occur, the system has caused a headache that did not need to be there. Requiring the GM to compensate for an imbalance like that is placing load on the GM that does not need to be there. GMs don't have infinite time, attention, patience and social capital to spend correcting for systemic issues.

But this is just my preference. It hasn't been my experience that players misuse the points system much.
As long as we're throwing statistically meaningless anecdotes around, I've been in several games (and heard about more) in which the above outlined scenario occured and caused entirely avoidable arguments.

Last edited:

LatwPIAT

Validated User
I accidentally copied the disadvantage of the Bouncer onto the Futura. The Futura does not, usually, get penalties for walking bipedally.

Pod Biomorphs - Human
Pod biomorphs are really just mass-produced, vat-grown biomorphs. Instead of the normal brain and spinal cord of a biomorph, however, they have an artificial replacement that makes them easier and less time-intensive to grow in vats. As such, they're not really different from normal biomorphs rules-wise, so here are the Pleasure Pod and the Worker Pod.

Pleasure Pod
Standardized bodies made for a wide variety of futuristic sex work, although due to their sensory enhancements, they see some niche use outside of the sex industry.
Advantages: +* to Presence, Stamina, Wits and one other Attribute of the player's choice, Eidetic Memory (from cyberbrain)
Disadvantages: TODO: Social Stigma (Pleasure Pod)
Implants: TODO: See above

Worker Pod
Worker Pods are strength-enhanced humans made for jobs that require both manual labour and face-to-face interaction.
Advantages: +** to Strength and Stamina, +* to one other Attribute of the player's choice, Eidetic Memory (from cyberbrain)
Disadvantages: TODO: Social Stigma (Pleasure Pod)
Implants: TODO: See above

LatwPIAT

Validated User
I wrote the initial draft for this when I was on over 24 hours of no sleep, so the Dunning-Kruger effect was in full swing. As such, I'm thinking I should probably start things over again, open-sourced, in order to be sure I'm actually doing things sensibly.

Lucidity: Lucidity is a mental Health bar. It works much like Sanity in Call of Cthulhu and Stress in Eclipse Phase, which similarily are mental hit-point bars. As such, I wanted it to have the same average length and be mechanically similar, since the Stress track in EP works just like physical damage does. My initial idea was that the base Attribute for Lucidity would be Composure. However, Composure is the social resistance Attribute, and as such an ill fit. Resolve is the mental resistance Attribute, and as such, the better fit. Lucidity could simply be Resolve + 5, becoming a complete match for Health.

However, Resolve is described as an "on-going focus"; neither Resolve nor Composure really represent, as I can read it, the ability to resist against madness. That's actually the domain of Willpower; as such, it's tempting to make Lucidity simply be Resolve + Composure + 3. Mechanically, this would meant that becoming mentally resilient to Lucidity damage is easier than becoming resilient to physical damage; two dots of Stamina costing 5 XP more than one point in each of Resolve and Composure.

One suggestion I actually did like was to use a version of the Madness Meters from NEMESIS and Unknown Armies. They're mechanically similar to the existing Morality, and more mechanically refined than a simple linear mental health track. NEMESIS had Violence, The Unnatural, Self, and Helplessness. For an Eclipse Phase game, the horror of the TITANs and the Exurgents, as well the horrible possibilities of the transhuman condition must be represented - the former, at least, seems to slot well into The Unnatural and can probably replace it.

Filling up a gauge with Hardened Notches would be like hitting Morality 0; your character is so unplayable and out of control as to be an NPC.

Morphs

The cost of morphs is another thing I'm not happy with; they're based on a linear conversion of EP's morph CP costs, but the systems are wildly different, and as such it's perhaps better to reconstruct the cost of each morph using World of Darkness XP costs and scale it from there. Not to mention that WoD characters tend to be right out of university/college/trade school, often without a job, while the average EP character holds several PhDs and has work-experience from several lines of expert-level work, is an accomplished artist in several fields and is an expert shot with a wide variety of firearms.

As a baseline, the Flat and Infomorph should always cost 0; these are the morphs that are in the possession of the completely unaugmented and the vast majority of the extreme poor in Eclipse Phase. When extracting the actual XP cost of a morph, I try to use to following techniques.
  • An Attribute bonus is equal to the cost of raising an Attribute by that many dots from 4 dots, since 4 dots is a given skill is the optimal build XP-wise.
  • Each 5 points of DUR above 30 a morph has is equal to a dot of Health.
  • Each 5 points of SOM are worth a dot of Strength
  • Each 5 points of REF or COO are worth a dot of Dexterity. If a morph has both, one of the +5 bonuses will, barring certain exceptions, be dropped entirely.
  • Each 5 points of SAV are worth a dot of Presence
  • Each 5 points of INT are worth a dot of Wits
  • Each 5 points of WIL are worth a dot of either Resolve
  • Each 5 points of COG are worth a dot of Intelligence.
  • Each +10 to a skill roll is equal to a +1 bonus on that skill roll.
  • Morph advantages and augmentations that is functionally equivalent to a Merit costs the same as the Merit.
  • A bonus of +X to a roll is roughly speaking either an X dot Merit or an 2X dot Merit, depending on the exact circumstances the bonus can be granted in; very narrow fields like Natural Immunity are +2 per dot, narrow fields like Strong Back are +1 per dot, and wide fields like Striking Looks is +1 per two dots.
  • When possible, I try to find the closest possible Merit or Advantage that models what an advantage or piece of cyberware does, and adjust the cost accordingly.
  • If all else fails, the total cost of all augmentations in EP money is converted one-for-one into USD, and the Resources merit is used to calculate the cost.

Once I've built a range of morphs, I can take a crack at finding some conversion factor to determine the Merit cost of owning one.

The Splicer can then be built accordingly:

Splicer
Attribute Bonuses: +1 to a single Attribute. This is equal to purchasing the fifth dot in that attribute, hence it has a value of 25 XP.
Implants: Basic Biomods provides the effects of Natural Immunity (1) and Quick Healer (4). The Cortical Stack provides the ability to return from the dead; this is similar to Revivification from Promethean: the Created, which costs Azoth*5 (average 5 with no Merits) for Osirians and Azoth*7 (average 7 with no Merits) for everyone else. As the Cortical Stack is a natural "ability" of splicer morphs, it seems logical it should cost 5 XP. Basic Mesh Inserts are about 1000 USD worth of assets (Resources 1). This gives a total of 12 points of Merits and 5 extra XP, for a total of 29.
Total Cost (XP) 54 XP

The Exalt is a little more powerful and costly:

Attribute Bonuses: +1 to Stamina, Intelligence, and three other Attributes of the player's choice. That's equal to purchasing the fifth dot in five attributes, hence the total value is 125 XP.
Implants: The basic package, same as the splicer, 29 XP.
Total Cost (XP) 159 XP

The Menton needs some special rules in order to be stated up:

Attribute Bonuses: +2 to Intelligence. This is equal to purchasing the fifth and sixth dots of Intelligence, hence it has a value of 25+30=55 XP. It also has +1 to each of Stamina, Wits, Resolve and one other Attribute of the player's choice, for an extra 100, for a total of 155 XP.
Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack (29 XP). Eidetic Memory can easily be modeled by Eidetic Memory, which costs 6 XP. Math Boost gives +30 to math-based rolls, so here it can be represented as a 3 dot Merit that grants +3 to rolls involving math. It's, hence, worth 12 XP. Hyper Linguist gives a +10 bonus to languages you don't speak, and you can learn languages in a day. Mechanically, this can be represented in the following manner; +1 to attempting to use a language your character can't read, and you can spend XP to purchase the Languages Merit as long as you've spent at least a day in an environment where language you take the Merit for was spoken regularly. This seems like a 1-dot Merit. (2 XP) This gives a total of 49 XP.
Total Cost (XP): 204

The Olympian presents a problem; it has both +5 to REF and +5 to COO.

Olympian
Attribute Bonuses: +2 to both Stamina and Strength, +1 to Dexterity and one other Attribute of the player's choice; the skills covered by COO and REF in Eclipse Phase are largely the same; it's not necessary to give a double bonus here. 160 XP.
Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack (29 XP)
Cost (XP): 189 XP

Sylph
Attribute Bonuses: +2 to Presence, +1 to Dexterity, Stamina and one other Attribute of the player's choice (130 XP)
Implants/Merits: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack (29 XP), Striking Looks 2 (6 XP), Clean Metabolism, Enhanced Pheromones. Clean Metabolism has immediate mechanical advantage, but it's worth 1000 USD, and hence can be represented with Resources 1. (2 XP) Enhanced Pheromones s functionally equivalent to Striking Looks 2; it's a 2-dot Merit (6 XP) This gives a total of 43
Cost (XP): 173 XP

Bouncer
Attribute Bonuses: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, Stamina and one other Attribute of the player's choice. (100 XP)
Implants/Advantages: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack (29 XP), Grip Pads are a form of very good climbing equipment granting a +3 bonus to climbing; it's a 3-dot Merit (12 XP). Limber gives a +1 bonus to escaping bonds and slipping through narrow places; it seems like a narrow field Trait, and is hence a 1-dot Merit (2 XP). Having hands instead of feet grants a +1 bonus to freefall attempts, another 1-dot merit (2 XP)
Cost (XP): 145 XP

Finally we get to one of my favourite morphs, Furies. They're going to be rather fun to stat up!

Furies
Attribute Bonuses: Furies have 20 extra DUR in Eclipse Phase, which translates to +4 in Stamina, which is equivalent to purchasing the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth dot in Stamina, for a total of 130 XP. They also have +2 to Strength, and +1 to Dexterity, Resolve and one other Attribute of the player's choice. This makes for a total of 260 XP.
Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack (29 XP), Toxin Filters - these are equivalent to Toxin Resistance (6 XP). Enhanced Vision is a rather useful ability. For one, it can completely negate the disadvantages of fighting blind during the night or in foggy environments. It gives the ability to view the electromagnetic spectrum all the way from terahertz rays to gamma rays, as well as 5x adjustable magnification. The closest rules I can find for this are in Mage: the Awakening, concerning what can be done with Nightsight and Read Matrixes. In any case, this is a +2 wide-field very useful bonus, so it's probably a 4-dot Merit (20 XP). Neurachem in Eclipse Phase is vastly overpowered, since it doubles your actions, but it doesn't do anything else. In the ST system, I'd model this as both Quick Draw (2 XP) and Fast Reflexes 1 (2 XP), which are useful bonuses without being completely game-defining. On top of this, Furies have Bioweave Armor (Light), which grants protection similar to what very light armour can provide (about 1/1). Promethean: The Created conveniently has rules for armor Merits; 1 dot for each point of armor. 1/1 armor is hence a 1-dot Merit. (2 XP)
Cost (XP): 321 XP

...and that's as far as I got today.

Augmentations:
These are purchased as Gear, except when part of a morph. Then they come free with that morph. The current costs are not final; they may need adjustment for balance.

Basic Bioware
As Quick Healer (WoD pp. 113) and Natural Immunity (WoD pp. 113)
Cost (XP): 22
Cost (as Gear): 2

Basic Mesh Inserts
See Eclipse Phase (wiki link) for a description of what this does.
Cost (XP): 2

Cortical Stack
As long as your cortical stack exists, you can theoretically be returned to life either by resleeving or being instanciated as an infomorph on a computer.
Cost (XP): 5

Clean Metabolism
See Eclipse Phase (wiki link) for a description of what this does.

Enhanced Pheromones
This is an augmentation that means the character releases engineered pheromones that are supposed to make them seem more attractive and trustworthy. The character gets a +1 equipment bonus on attempts to Persuasion and Manipulation rolls against transhuman targets that can smell the pheromones.
Cost (as Gear): 1

Math Boost (3)
Math Boost is a piece of mental augmentation that provides a +3 equipment bonus to any roll where mathematics is important. It is a large restructuring of the brain that gives it a natural affinity towards a fundamental understanding of mathematics. It does not only make the user good at crunching numbers fast, but allows them to analyse and understand higher mathematical concepts such as integrals and differential equations with the same natural certainty that most people would say that 2 + 3 = 5.
Cost (XP): 12

Hyper Linguist (1)
This mental augmentation enhances the neural plasticity of the language centers of the brain to those of an infant, as well as structuring them for an intuitive understanding of languages. If a character attempts to use a language they do not speak (e.i. it's not their mother tongue and they don't have the Languages Merit for it), such as attempting to translate a document, or asking for the fastest way to a toilet, they may reduce the untrained penalty from -3 to -2. Additionally, they only require to stay in an area where a language is spoken for a day to learn that language; XP may be spent to buy the Language Merit for a language after only a day has been spent passively learning that language.

Grip Pads
Grip Pads are an augmentation that gives the user pads similar to those of geckos on their palms, lower arms, shins and the bottom of their feet. As long as at least two of these pads are touching a surface, the user can support themselves. They can also walk or climb along any surface that can support their weight as long as the pads are not covered. However, it is trivial to identify the augmentation if the pads are visible. Grip Pads give a +3 equipment bonus to climbing tests.
Cost (XP): 12

Toxin Filters
As Toxin Resistance (WoD pp. 113)
Cost (XP): 6

Neurachem
When active, the neurachem augmentation gives the character the advantages of Quick Draw (WoD pp. 113) and Fast Reflexes 1 (WoD pp. 110). Activating or deactivating neurachem is a reflexive action, but requires a successful Resolve + Medicine to actually do. A Dramatic Failure to another skill may also accidentally activate or deactivate neurachem, especially if the Dramatic Faiure happened during a tense situation. Characters with the Endochrine Control augmentation may activate or deactivate neurachem at will.

A special version of neurachem that provides the benefits of Fast Reflexes 2 exists. However, when this is used, after it has been deactivated the user feels extremely tired for an hour afterwards; incur a -2 penalty to all actions in this period of time.
Cost (XP): 4 or 8
Cost (as Gear): 4 to 5

Bioweave Armor (Light)
Bioweave Armor is an augmentation that provides the morph of the user with the effects of 1/1 personal armour.

Enhanced Vision
Enhanced Vision is an augmentation that allows the user to peer into the wider electromagnetic spectrum, from terahertz rays all the way to gamma rays. They can ignore the effects of Fighting Blind caused by darkness and even thick fog. They may apply a +2 equipment bonus to Perception rolls (not cumulative with other vision-enhancing devices such as night-vision goggles, thermal scopes, etc.) where being able to see these wavelengths of light would aid in a normal perception roll in the visual spectrum. When seeing visible light would not be of any use, make Perception tests for the ultraviolet and infrared spectra at -1, terahertz and X-ray spectra at -2, and the gamma ray spectrum at -3. (MtA pp. 164) The user also has the advantages of a "good pair of binoculars" (WoD:Armory pp. 168)
Cost (XP): 20

Last edited:
Top Bottom