• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[El Goonish Shive] I can't be the only one here who reads it ...

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
If Grace wants to turn into a bird, I'd think Tedd could enable that. Things for them to do later.
I'm not sure she could, at least right now. Tedd still needs to obey some laws of physics, like how she hasn't figured out how to change height more than half volume (which was what, 16% height or something?)

She could easily do it with magic, but I don't think she has access to turn-into-a-bird spells.

Jondera

For SCIENCE!
Validated User
Well, except for her ability to turn into a squirrel. She can still do that.

I wonder how much she could modify her squirrel form if they approached it from that end?

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User

I wonder how much she could modify her squirrel form if they approached it from that end?
Her ability to turn into a Squirrel is part of her basic Uryoum abilities, which were kind-of-but-not-actually-magic due to, apparently, the Will of Magic banning all Uryom from using it.*

But it's certainly an interesting approach for Tedd to try.

Plus, now Grace can actually learn magic by flexing her Uryom muscles, so to speak, she may well learn some more transformation spells like that. Or whatever equivalent of the magic system the Uryom had access to before the WoM changed.

* I admit this is speculation based on extrapolating from a couple of facts. 1) Uryom couldn't use magic. 2) After WoM decides to go public, we're told thay old systems of magic are now active. 3)We see an Uryom cackling villainously at being able to light a wand(?). 4) Grace is now able to resize her clothing when transforming, something that she couldn't do before but that magic can do. 5)The WoM says there are some constants in how magic works- like humans always have some magic.

Going off those, Uryoms caused magic to change, and in the change they lost the ability to use the greater system. However, still being a magic-using species, they instead developed the ability to transform their body (and only that)

Last edited:

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
WartxHazel4ever.
Definitely.

Also the fact that WartxHazel has only a single fic on Ao3 is a shame and a pity.

Her ability to turn into a Squirrel is part of her basic Uryoum abilities, which were kind-of-but-not-actually-magic due to, apparently, the Will of Magic banning all Uryom from using it.*

But it's certainly an interesting approach for Tedd to try.

Plus, now Grace can actually learn magic by flexing her Uryom muscles, so to speak, she may well learn some more transformation spells like that. Or whatever equivalent of the magic system the Uryom had access to before the WoM changed.

* I admit this is speculation based on extrapolating from a couple of facts. 1) Uryom couldn't use magic. 2) After WoM decides to go public, we're told thay old systems of magic are now active. 3)We see an Uryom cackling villainously at being able to light a wand(?). 4) Grace is now able to resize her clothing when transforming, something that she couldn't do before but that magic can do. 5)The WoM says there are some constants in how magic works- like humans always have some magic.

Going off those, Uryoms caused magic to change, and in the change they lost the ability to use the greater system. However, still being a magic-using species, they instead developed the ability to transform their body (and only that)
It wasn’t the Will of Magic exactly. They got locked out for trying to invade Heka’s library.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Do we know whether different planets have different Wills of Magic? We have Word of God (iirc) that the "other" side of earth has a different Will, so the Uryom's planet may also have a different Will. Then their shapeshifting could be a "native" ability from that other Will, but they were locked out of using Earth's magic system by our Will.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I'm not sure she could, at least right now. Tedd still needs to obey some laws of physics, like how she hasn't figured out how to change height more than half volume (which was what, 16% height or something?)

She could easily do it with magic, but I don't think she has access to turn-into-a-bird spells.
I think your numbers are a little messed up, but yeah at least as of 2013 or so the guns were limited to a 20.63% reduction in each dimension.

However, Grace can absorb transformations into her own powerset and then transform back to them under her own power, at which point I'm pretty sure she could be transformed into something even smaller with the TF gun, so that's got a workaround.

Yeah, that ought to be able to do the job too as far as size goes.

However, unfortunately, there's a problem I stumbled across. From this Q&A the TF gun is apparently unwilling to make certain kinds of internal anatomical adjustments, which would preclude doing a proper bird form with it. Grace might be able to fly as an inwardly mammalian heavy-boned super-bird due to being really strong, though.

Top Bottom