• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.
  • Help Block Article 13. The EU is getting to ready to pass a directive widely known as "Article 13", which will flip copyright requirements on their head in the EU. Where before the law of the land has largely been 47 U.S.C. § 230, which does not hold sites like forums responsible for what their users upload, as long as they respond to take-down requests, now sites would have to proactively monitor and OK every single thing published to their site. There's a long lead-up to the disaster that's likely to follow: EU states would have to turn this directive into law, and even afterward smaller sites would have three years in which they didn't have to put out the millions of dollars required to design such filters. But the long-term result is that the EU is likely to be cut off from a lot of sites on the internet, because the requirements are frankly untenable. If you're in the EU and would like to protest, you can visit https://saveyourinternet.eu/act/. (The EU is also voting on a very problematic link-tax directive that has already failed spectacularly in Spain, for which see the EFF's discussion, and it's worth protesting too, but it's Article 13 that will permanently balkanize the internet into the EU and the rest of the world.)

[Elite Dangerous] Transmissions From A New Commander

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Finally! Back at Sagan Dock in Kasho system, officially back in civilization! Woohoo!

Okay. Wow. Now suddenly I have a lot of options again. First things first, I bought some livery stuff to celebrate the trip, and was waiting to get back to put them on as a prize, so I did that. Nameplates and an actual paint job (so pretty) and fully repaired, refueled, and restocked. Woot!

Okay. Now to get closer to actual civilization and then get cracking. Excellent. :)

empulsive

Validated User
Okay, so after I went and visited Farseer and Martuuk and sold them enough carto-data to get to the fifth rank with each, then finally docked at my good ol' home station. Then I headed over and bought me a Krait Phantom, kitted out for deep core mining. Then I went and found me a mining spot a few systems over, and tried to figure out how to do the deed.

That's where my troubles started. First off, getting close enough to actually be able to mine a ring system is kind of scary and tough to do right the first time. Then, I couldn't figure out how to use the Pulse Wave scanner. And then I realized I'd been in front of the computer for far too long and my brain was fried, so I logged off and left that Phantom hanging out in that ring.

Still, feels nice to be back in civilization. Heh.

Rainbow Trenchcoat

Social Justice Cleric
Validated User
Ring scanning is a pain and a half. First, you need to dss the ring from supercruise. Then, if the ring has the hotspot type you are looking for (and many will not), you go to the hotspot and use the pulse wave scanner (make sure it's mounted like any other weapon). If you're lucky, you'll see an asteroid that glows from a distance and looks ugly up close, like there's lines running through it. More likely, you'll see many many asteroids that glow from a distance but don't have those lines, or do have the lines but stop glowing up close.

Once you find an asteroid with a core and prospect it to make sure, then you get to blow it up. Drop seismic charges on the weak points until the chart gets into the blue line, but make sure not to go over that line. If you go too far, you can always disarm mines before they blow up.

empulsive

Validated User
Okay, so my understanding is that, once I am at a ring system's hotspot, I assign the Pulse Wave Analyzer to a firing group to either primary or secondary fire, and then make sure I'm in analysis mode, and then I can just press the primary or secondary fire trigger and the wave fires off, yes?

Because it's not working, and I don't know why. Whey I press the button, nothing happens at all. :(

empulsive

Validated User
1. Is it powered?
2. Are you in the correct fire group?
Heh, it was actually even dumber than that.

I forgot that I had to actually deploy my hardpoints. After weeks of using the scanners during my trip without deploying hardpoints, not even carrying weapons, it never occurred to me to check if the pulse wave analyzer needed to actually be deployed. Surprise surprise, it does. :)

Brought in my first load of Low Temperature Diamonds, sold for over six times the average. Not bad, and it's such a different kind of game play compared to the deep exploration play. :)

empulsive

Validated User
Ha hah! Deep core mining - void opals or otherwise - is all sorts of fun. That crump-pause-brakoom when you detonate the crackers is so satisfying.

Also, money is nice. ;)

Made about 192M cr. from selling my trip data, from 20 days of not-that-thorough scanning. Made 92M cr. over three short play sessions in a day and a half, and I'm still pretty terrible at it. Still tweaking my limpet count and hardpoints, and figuring out the nuances of maneuvering around all the rocks and debris while pinging the pulse wave and head-looking around like a maniac. It's fun!

empulsive

Validated User
Man, saving people from burning, falling apart space stations is intense, and I kind of love it. Doing the Federation rank grind so I can go visit Sol, and decided to put together a bulk economy class civilian transport and go visit one of the two wrecked stations close to civilization. My rep with them is at Allied, but I'm only about 85% of the way to my first rank. This might be a slower process than I thought.

Still, burning, disintegrating space stations! Dodging giant bits of debris and ejecting heatsinks and honing in as quickly as you can to your assigned pad, eyes and fingers darting like mad to all the various readings and controls. Yeah, that's fun, and I get to feel like a bit of a hero, too. Awesome. :)

Anywho, I hope my rambling here aren't bugging anybody, if it ever goes for more than a week without an update I'll let the thread fade away, but if no one minds, I'll keep coming back here to burble happily about being an elite space trucker. :D

(Maybe I should share some screenshots? Yeah, why not, just a few. :))

Spoiler: Show
The good ship Skip To My L00. The first two images are my current desktops. The first on the main screen, the second on my secondary screen:

I think this one turned out nicely:

What I went on a 13.6KLY round trip to see:

The Skip To My L00 back in our home port, with the shiny new paint scheme and nameplates I splurged on to celebrate our safe return:

Not shown: Dozens of fairly generic shots of pretty space stuff and photographic evidence of the last third or so of the water and Earth-like planets I found out there. Also, lots of docking sequences, apparently? Who was taking these? What do you mean I took them. (Shiny screenshot button...)

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
So... I've been doing moneymaking stuff, including mining Void Opals, scanning everything in the Road to Riches, and occasionally doing missions... being in Diaguandri, the mission boards have a number of calls to eliminate pirates in nearby Balante. Though I should mention that that led to my first ship loss in a while because a "Pirate Lord" in a Fer-de-Lance had one of those instant shield-eliminator weapons you can get from the Engineers. (Impulse weapons? WTF!?)

I have close to 400M right now. Debating whether to get an Anaconda, go do stuff for the Engineers, or just make more money.

Any thoughts? -Kwd

Top Bottom