[Elite Dangerous] Transmissions From A New Commander

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You might be better pricing the Anaconda you want in coriolis before making that decision. 400M will get you a decent cargo vessel, but it's a bit on the light side for something with oomph. If I'm doing stuff for engineers, I'll either be collecting data and manufactured materials (which is to say, bounty hunting in a RES during a CG and pooper scooping my kills) which is done in one of the new shooty vessels, or travelling off to guardian sites/collecting stuff planetside/scanning planets in an asp.

Or build the conda for mining and earn silly money quickly.

Zippy

Buggy Coder
Validated User
Found a high metal content world that I was disappointed didn't log in my codex as terraformable. Surface temp 253K. Gravity 0.9G. Surface Pressure 0.95 Atmo. 78% N, 20% O2 1% Methane with methane vulcanism. It's a bit cold and dry but...don't you mostly need just matches at that point to get heat and water?

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Found a high metal content world that I was disappointed didn't log in my codex as terraformable. Surface temp 253K. Gravity 0.9G. Surface Pressure 0.95 Atmo. 78% N, 20% O2 1% Methane with methane vulcanism. It's a bit cold and dry but...don't you mostly need just matches at that point to get heat and water?
Yeah, I'm not sure what does and doesn't count for terraformable, myself. It's always weird to see a HMC that looks almost Earth-like that isn't listed as terraformable, but I have to assume the in-universe scienticians know their business. ;)

So, after spending some time in civilized space spending money on fancy spaceships and then making that money back with said fancy spaceships, I got a little bored and grabbed my trusty ol' Asp X, swapped out some stuff to make it lighter/faster, and grabbed a sightseeing mission to a spot not too far away (3.8KLY) in the opposite direction from my Crab Nebula trip, and set off on what's basically a whim. Checked the Road to Riches list, found a bunch of known Earth-likes and water worlds on the way (actually, only out to less than 1/3 of the way) and probably made between 30-50Mcr with those scans, and now I'm bee-lining it straight to the sightseeing spot, which I'll probably get to in the next two or three play sessions. I've still got most of four weeks to get there and back, so I'm not worried about that.

Was able to get the first level of the FSD jump range engineering done, and that extra 6-8LY range added totally adds up in the aggregate. I wish it was a bit easier/simpler to get the engineering mats, but since I'm being pretty casual with the game, I'm not too worried about that.

Once I'm back in civilization, I'll return to alternating between evacuating stations, and deep core mining, and do that until it gets boring and then head off in a different direction for a while. Feels like a nice playing rhythm.

My burbling about the game in RL convinced two of my friends to get the game when it was on sale. One seems to have bounced right off, but then to be honest I was surprised he bothered trying the game, since to be really honest, he's not the brightest bulb and doesn't like to read or listen to lore or spend more than a minute trying to figure anything out. *shrug*

My other friend is someone I introduced to Dwarf Fortress back in the day, and he took to it like a duck to water, so I knew he'd enjoy ED and all the third party apps and websites that one can use to enhance the experience. Hopefully he'll get through his shakedown period in good spirits and stick with the game.

Anywho, getting near 200 hours in-game so far, I think, and definitely past the honeymoon period, but still having fun. Flew between a close-orbiting binary pair of stars the other day when I dropped out of warp in a perilous position, and that was nervy but fun, and I managed not to cook my ship too much, either. Nice.

Zippy

Buggy Coder
Validated User
30 mins of investigating and scooping at transient signal sources near deciat got me enough scans and commodities to upgrade my fsd range again and half of what I need for the next level

empulsive

Validated User
I hear ya, and I'll definitely try something like that, but I had more luck getting mats via alternate mission rewards than anything else. I think I've just had rotten luck. :)

Zippy

Buggy Coder
Validated User
I hear ya, and I'll definitely try something like that, but I had more luck getting mats via alternate mission rewards than anything else. I think I've just had rotten luck. :)
That's actually what got me investigating signals. Took a black box salvage op to get a Strange Wake Solution mission reward, and found a Chemical Processor in the wreckage (which I also needed for that level 3). I fired up my discovery scanner and checked out a few more, just to see what other fun bits I could scoop.

My other fun moment last night was taking my first "massacre pirate faction" mission. I've never actually fought outside the tutorial, so I figured it was time. I strapped some guns and a real shield on my little DBX (the SS Minnow) and went to the mission signal. There were 4 of them, but the other 3 literally just laughed as I started gunning down their friend, and told me to fill my hold with gold next time. Then they left just before I exploded my target. No honor among thieves, I guess. I had a good laugh about that.

Iralith

Validated User
Anywho, getting near 200 hours in-game so far, I think, and definitely past the honeymoon period, but still having fun.
A thing I habitually say about Elite, when I'm trying to shill it to people while simultaneously copping to its sameyness, plotlessness, etc., is that it's not really like having a game about spaceships; it's more like you just have a spaceship, and when real life is tiresome you can go fly the spaceship around for a bit.

But now I have another exploration question, and I'm sorta hoping for a circle-is-now-complete moment where you can advise me on this thing.

The thing is: okay, let's I'm in a system and I'm scanning it down with the FSS. Assume that's as far as I intend to take it--I'm just passing through, and I want to ding every planet but not go DSS anything. Let's further assume that this is a planet with surface features, so I get a long tedious "Locations: Scanning" spinner as it itemizes all the points of interest on the planet.

Let's say I pull back before that spinner's done spinning. Does that mean (from a cold hard cash point of view) that I haven't fully scanned the planet? Or does the scanning-for-POIs thing keep going in the background while I'm off looking at other stuff?

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm almost completely sure that you stop scanning.

EDIT: I just checked, I was utterly wrong. If you break off while it's doing a long scan, scan a different planet and then come back, the scan is complete.

Last edited:

empulsive

Validated User
My burbling about the game in RL convinced two of my friends to get the game when it was on sale. ... My other friend is someone I introduced to Dwarf Fortress back in the day, and he took to it like a duck to water, so I knew he'd enjoy ED and all the third party apps and websites that one can use to enhance the experience. Hopefully he'll get through his shakedown period in good spirits and stick with the game.
Just want to share a quote from my Other Friend: "Thanks for turning me onto this game, man. The deep nerdy part of me is starting to get really into it as I discover new layers of play."

I'm pretty happy about that. :D

A thing I habitually say about Elite, when I'm trying to shill it to people while simultaneously copping to its sameyness, plotlessness, etc., is that it's not really like having a game about spaceships; it's more like you just have a spaceship, and when real life is tiresome you can go fly the spaceship around for a bit.
Yeah, this 100%. I used a similar analogy when explaining the game to Other Friend, during part of my "okay, you've hear be happily babbling about the fun I'm having, so now here's the other side of the coin."

Anywho, for the last few days I've just been booting the game up, doing 10-20 jumps back to the Bubble with a little bit of scanning mixed in, and then logging off again mainly because Crusader Kings II lured me back into its clutches. I figure my space trucker guy has gotten used to being out in the black and he's now comfortable sitting around playing videogames while staring out at nebulae and such.

Of course, his passenger may not be as into sitting around doing nothing as he is... ;)

Iralith

Validated User
And . . . and . . . oh god I am so mad at this game right now.

I have been in a money spiral thanks to deaths following a recent expensive-spaceship purchase (almost the expensivest possible, a Corvette; I guess community goal systems have a lot of gankers these days?), and had just about dipped below rebuy. So I switched from combat to passenger-hauling. I was on a nicely synched, multi-leg passenger trip with three different passengers, a good couple hundred light-years of travel--counting exploration data, well over a ten-million-credit payoff. Yeah yeah yeah, don't fly what you can't rebuy, but this was beyond low-risk.

Coming in to land at my port of origin with all missions completed, after probably two hours running this set of jobs, I got hung up in the struts outside the mailslot thanks to crappy mouse-and-keyboard piloting. Which is cool, I'm a yutz, I'll pay the 500-buck ticket, but . . . turns out I was hung up so bad that I could not get un-hung: I was stuck in the geometry. Station vaped me. Goddamn pointy-nosed star destroyer.

Like, I don't mind getting dinged with a fine for my shitty flying. I mind getting bugged. Tried the landing-gear trick, no dice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom