• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.
  • Help Block Article 13. The EU is getting to ready to pass a directive widely known as "Article 13", which will flip copyright requirements on their head in the EU. Where before the law of the land has largely been 47 U.S.C. § 230, which does not hold sites like forums responsible for what their users upload, as long as they respond to take-down requests, now sites would have to proactively monitor and OK every single thing published to their site. There's a long lead-up to the disaster that's likely to follow: EU states would have to turn this directive into law, and even afterward smaller sites would have three years in which they didn't have to put out the millions of dollars required to design such filters. But the long-term result is that the EU is likely to be cut off from a lot of sites on the internet, because the requirements are frankly untenable. If you're in the EU and would like to protest, you can visit https://saveyourinternet.eu/act/. (The EU is also voting on a very problematic link-tax directive that has already failed spectacularly in Spain, for which see the EFF's discussion, and it's worth protesting too, but it's Article 13 that will permanently balkanize the internet into the EU and the rest of the world.)

[Elite Dangerous] Transmissions From A New Commander

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Coming in to land at my port of origin with all missions completed, after probably two hours running this set of jobs, I got hung up in the struts outside the mailslot thanks to crappy mouse-and-keyboard piloting. Which is cool, I'm a yutz, I'll pay the 500-buck ticket, but . . . turns out I was hung up so bad that I could not get un-hung: I was stuck in the geometry. Station vaped me. Goddamn pointy-nosed star destroyer.

Like, I don't mind getting dinged with a fine for my shitty flying. I mind getting bugged. Tried the landing-gear trick, no dice.
If shit like that happens, try logging out as soon as possible. You might beat the hull damage and station warnings in time. You should be placed just outside the station boundaries when you log back in.

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
And . . . and . . . oh god I am so mad at this game right now.
Oof. Dang, that sucks, Iralith, sorry to hear that. That's one of my ED nightmares right there.

Thinking about it IC, I guess the emergency escape module tech being so good means that as a metacivilization, Humanity in ED is much more cavalier about shooting a ship out from under someone? Because that's like waaaaay overkill, and it happens all the time.

Iralith

Validated User
My thing is, what king of weird gameplay mode are NPC crew doing? Like, you sit around, skimming a little off the top, tying up your employer's rank advancement (my long-time NPC pal hit Dangerous before I did)--but you're on permadeath; your boss can't figure out how to park his new toy and Remlok won't return your calls. Brutal.

. . . oh, also, ha! So this morning, after last night's spectacle de merde, I compulsively logged in . . . to find myself on a rescue ship, the Thargoids having whaled on Artemis Lodge while I slept.

Now, I did, I dunno, probably did a hundred rescue runs in the last couple of weeks? I was grinding up Federal rep for that Corvette. Given enough heatsinks and some familiarity with the mission parameters, I wound up finding it pretty straightforward. (Especially after I ditched the Beluga, with its stupid long wide ass, for a nice wide stubby Type-9.) And really very, very lucrative--a whole bunch of passenger gigs, with time bonuses, and a super-short mission turnnaround. And I already had my Corvette stuffed full of 6E passenger cabins.

So yeah, my reward for last night was waking up in perfect position for another round of some of the fastest and easiest money I've earned in this game . . . just as long as I'm up to go round after round with an extra-messy mailslot.

Last edited:

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When I came back from the first Distant Worlds expedition, I had been out in the black for about six months or so. On the return voyage I went anti-clockwise around the edge of the galactic core and decided to visit Jaques Station Colonia, which hadn't reached it's current position at the start of the expedition. I got into the system, got confused by all the NPC ships, found my way to the station and completely forgot how to dock. I was less than a km away from the station when I remembered to ask for docking permission, and as soon as I'd done that, I remembered about the landing gear. So I put them down, just outside the pylons. There was a tangle, a bit of a crunch and not a small amount of confused panic until I retracted the gear, reversed, let my heart slow down to under 100bpm and gently nudged my way into the station to cash in six months worth of scan data.

Then I died in one of those newfangled neutron stars on my way back to the bubble. It was an interesting last leg.

Klajorne

Double Clutching Weasel
Validated User
Oof. Dang, that sucks, Iralith, sorry to hear that. That's one of my ED nightmares right there.

Thinking about it IC, I guess the emergency escape module tech being so good means that as a metacivilization, Humanity in ED is much more cavalier about shooting a ship out from under someone? Because that's like waaaaay overkill, and it happens all the time.
I just kind of assumed that when I'm bounty hunting, I'm not really hurting anyone, I'm just chewing through the pirates' rebuys until they get put back into Sidewinders. There doesn't seem to be much of a risk involved in space flight. Unless you're a crew member. No such luck for those guys.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
Inspired by this thread to jump in and get my new pilot's wings.

Sadly . . .I'm not sure I've ever bounced off a game this hard. Persistence and a sense of investment got me through tutorials, setting up third-party software to run my controllers, remapping the buttons, then going online to look up:
  • why I didn't have a valid jump route to complete any of the missions offered at my starting station
  • how to avoid overshooting in supercruise
  • how to land on planets without being constantly pulled out of supercruise
  • how to set up alternate controls to make the ship flyable in supercruise with relative mouse mode on
  • how to pay the several fines I accrued for delivery missions I didn't understand how to complete

After that, the next delivery mission saw me get my cargo hatch shot out (fair enough) and the courier mission thereafter stranded me in a system one jump short of my designated refueling point. I could go back online to look up why my attempts to skim fuel from the star I'm next to failed (not maintaining the correct angle/not knowing where a star's type is indicated on the system map) but I don't think I have the energy left to go through that loop again.

This is not a complaint about the game (only objective quibbles are the poorly mapped default controls and obtuse in-game menu buttons). Just disappointed venting.

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
Well, this is where experienced pilots can help you a little. Here we go...

why I didn't have a valid jump route to complete any of the missions offered at my starting station
Did you plot the route before loading the cargo? Jump range is based on ship mass, including cargo mass.
how to avoid overshooting in supercruise
This took me a little while to get, but: the blue part of the speed gauge is the optimum setting for control. If you set the needle to right below the halfway mark of the blue range the ship should set its speed right where you need it to be.
how to land on planets without being constantly pulled out of supercruise
I still have trouble with this. The main thing is, when gliding, do not point your ship above the 0-degree horizon line.
how to set up alternate controls to make the ship flyable in supercruise with relative mouse mode on
Someone else will have to help you with this one...
how to pay the several fines I accrued for delivery missions I didn't understand how to complete
Under "Contacts", it should be "Authority Contact."
A recent update changed how missions work. There are two important points:
1) if you're delivering cargo rather than just data, you need to actually load the cargo onto your ship. It should be on the same page as the mission itself.
2) when you get to the destination, go to the Mission Board, and it should be the first thing(s) on there. Unload cargo the same way you loaded it, then hit the "Complete" button at the bottom.

EDIT: Oh, and...
the courier mission thereafter stranded me in a system one jump short of my designated refueling point.
Silly question: you did buy a fuel scoop, right?

Last edited:

empulsive

Validated User
I hear ya, Catfish, I bounced off the game like a handball off a brick wall the first time I tried it, a little less than two years ago. Uninstalled the whole dang thing within a couple hours of installing it.

I'm not 100% sure what was different this time around, but about 180 hours later I can say that the game definitely has its hooks in me.

One major difference is that the first time I tried playing it was with keyboard and mouse. This second time, I tried using an XBox controller from the beginning, and it worked very well for me. I then splurged on a HOTAS and have been having a wonderful, tactile and immersive time with the flight stick and throttle.

In any case, if you're still giving it the ol' college try, don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have here, and we'll try and help.

Zippy

Buggy Coder
Validated User
Inspired by this thread to jump in and get my new pilot's wings.
  • why I didn't have a valid jump route to complete any of the missions offered at my starting station
When I first started it took me a couple days to figure this out. It's usually just one link in the chain that's just one ly or so too far to jump

For me, it took scrapping out a few more tons by upgrading all my components to D to save on weight. It makes a big difference in the little sidewinder. Also storing the vehicle hanger (if you started with Horizons). And then when you eke out a few more ly that way, turn off the checkbox in your jump plotter that tries to plot only "efficient" jumps. That'll trip you up a bit sometimes as the plotter will ignore jumps that use too much fuel

empulsive

Validated User
Finally made it to Sol today. Knowing what I know now, I could probably go from zero to Sol permit in a long play session or two, but I only really focused on upping my Federation rep fairly recently, and did it in a very inefficient, haphazard way. Still, I'm glad that they made Commanders have to work a bit to be able to visit the old home world, it made it weirdly meaningful to finally jump into Sol and zoom over to Earth. I'm going to spend a session or two just wallowing in the Solar system, visiting everything, and then scamper back to my home system and prep for another long-haul somewhere.

Top Bottom