[Elite Dangerous] Transmissions From A New Commander

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Got my first Elite rank today, in Exploration. Back at my home station, now, and done for the night. Next play session will be about checking out Shinrata. :)

Game's still got its hooks in me, though I've slowed down considerably. It's my little alternate world where I can go fly around space for a few hours every so often, and that's all it needs to be.

Also scary space aliens are laying waste to swathes of humanity's systems, but that's way the heck over there, and I'm all the way over here, flying around peacefully and not carrying any weapons. So whatevs. ;)

lowpassage

Validated User
Got my first Elite rank today, in Exploration. Back at my home station, now, and done for the night. Next play session will be about checking out Shinrata. :)
Congratulations!

I've never gotten to Elite in anything despite playing off and on since the 1.0 launch. I am a space dilettante and respect your accomplishment all the more because of that. :D

empulsive

Validated User
Thank you!

I think the new exploration mechanics kind of click with me in a way the old style may not have, were I around then? In any case, the lure of that play loop, along with the use of some nice third-party tools to help me see all the data I need in one easy spot, made stopping and checking out every likely system I was in a breeze, and there's a lot of money (and thus Exploration rank) to be made even if all you're doing is updating well-trod system info in the Bubble. If you head out for a few thousand lights in any direction, scanning merrily as you go, you come back with a whole bunch of data, and some of it will be First Discovery for the big bucks/rep.

I'm about 90% through Entrepreneur rank in Trade (with just Tycoon and Elite to go), which I've mostly done with missions for the Alliance and Federation, and deep core mining. I'm still Harmless in Combat, though, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon. Maybe with the way the war is going, I'll have to start shooting stuff just to survive, eventually. But I'm in no hurry. :)

Paradim

Validated User
I am really enjoying doing deep core mining for void opals as multi-crew in my friend's python. Even just the wing share amount makes it worthwhile for the time spent.

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Currently I'm making my way to Waypoint 9 of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. Everyone else is heading to Waypoint 11, mind you. I'm not slow, I'm just big boned.

empulsive

Validated User
Currently I'm making my way to Waypoint 9 of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. Everyone else is heading to Waypoint 11, mind you. I'm not slow, I'm just big boned.
That's pretty sweet, TQ. :) And it's not a race, it's a journey, and you're taking it at the right speed for you, because if you weren't you'd have stopped by now. :)

It's a real trip to go from tooling around in an AspX in a glass blister at the very front of the ship, to sitting in a large bridge way at the back of the huge Anaconda. What's not a trip is finding out at the last second that you didn't put the Pulse Wave thingy on your 'Conda before you left, and that pristine Void Opal hot spot you just found isn't gonna do you any good. Heh.

I am really enjoying doing deep core mining for void opals as multi-crew in my friend's python. Even just the wing share amount makes it worthwhile for the time spent.
Ooh, how does this work? And yeah, I can see that being a fun group activity.

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I took a pulse wave analyser with me, but I left it on the new station at Sag A*, it sucks up too much power and there'll be no more mining on this trip. Here's what I'm flying. It's a moderately armed PvE 'Conda. The mining lasers aren't for mining. They were included so I could act as a start/finish line for canyon racing, but I generally haven't gotten to the meet-ups on time.

Anyway, I like to call the front of my 'Conda 'the patio'.

Paradim

Validated User
Ooh, how does this work? And yeah, I can see that being a fun group activity.
He's got a Python set up for Deep Core Mining and I multi-crew in as the Gunner. I keep the pulses going and help him spot out potential asteroids with cores while he navigates through the field. When we identify an asteroid with a core, he sets up the charges to blow it open. Afterwards, I sent collector limpets out and blast off extra chunks with the abrasion blaster. He focuses on maneuvering the ship around while I monitor the status of the collectors.

At the end of it, with around 160 tons of void opals, I identify a market that is selling them close by for the best price possible, which so far has been around 1.6 million each. He makes the vast majority out of this, but I still end up with about 30 million credits a haul. Since he's the one trying to save up for the squadron carrier when it releases, I don't really mind the profit disparity and around 30 million a haul is still profitable enough for my standards. Honestly, I'd probably do it for free, since we hang out, chat and listen to podcasts of stuff while we're doing this.

empulsive

Validated User
That sounds lovely, and that last bit is the best bit. Hanging with a friend, chatting and chilling and having a good time, and getting "paid" for it. Yeah, that's sweet. :)

lowpassage

Validated User
I think the new exploration mechanics kind of click with me in a way the old style may not have, were I around then?
How does the new exploration system work?

I've done a bit of the old way -- "honk" the Advanced Discovery Scanner when you jump into the system, and if any of the planets look interesting fly toward them until the Detailed Surface Scanner finishes automatically doing its thing. I'm vaguely aware the new system is more engaging but have barely played since the patch that added it.

Top Bottom