• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Entomophobia (13th Age)

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Out in the western reaches of the Dragon Empire, in the foothills of Gianthome and laying between First Triumph and Axis is Stonehold. As the carriage rounds the last bend in the road the group could see the walls of the settlement, grey and heavy and tall. The tops of red-roofed buildings peek above the top of the wall but much more pressing are the swarms of person-sized insects that dart in and out of the city.

In particular, as the carriage rattled through a gap in the walls, a pack of buzzing mosquitoes each the size of a large child darted about the air. The pair of walleri birds pulling the carriage balked and cried as the bugs swooped overhead. The halfling carriage driver seemed more interested in controlling all the snapping beaks rather than being carried away; maybe one of the holy symbols draped around him or one of the prayers pinned to the side of the carriage house protected it from giant insects.

Whatever reason, he maneuvered the entire carriage inside the walls before banging his fist on the partition. "Stonehold, aye," he shouted. "And I think this is your job!"

Spoiler: Show
Orilen, what new road song did this halfling carriage driver teach you?
Ben, how are these domesticated walleris different from the ones running free in the Wild Woods?
Saevan, who do you know on the city watch in Stonehold?
Sarathiel, what weird martial art do you know for fighting flying creatures?
Calpurnia, what did you steal from the wild party on the last night in Glitterhagen?
 
Last edited:

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
FLETCHER

"Stonehold, aye," he shouted. "And I think this is your job!"
Fletch grabs his gear and clamors out of the wagon, glad to be away from the rickety confining structure and looks about as the others disembark.

Ben, how are these domesticated walleris different from the ones running free in the Wild Woods?
OOC: The domestic birds have been bred so that both the males and females grow a tall curving plume atop their heads, and their plumage is either universally the dun feathers of the wild females or generationally bred to match the house colors of whatever high house they belong to. Wild males are a kaleidoscope of greens, reds, orange, and white.

Unbridled birds can be particularly dangerous if spooked and will bite. The heel talons of the tame birds bred for labor are filed down, but fighting birds are also bred and their spurs are left untouched.

OOC: Ben is Fletcher's family name/surname.
 
Last edited:

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
Calpurnia stared dreamily out of the carriage window, as it trundled toward Stonehold. The Glitterhagen job had gone well, considering that everyone had only recently met. A celebration was in order, and the Fool’s Day revelry at the Stone Horse tavern fit the bill. The house troupe had everyone on their feet, singing along and banging on tables.

Then that delicious scream pierced the air, as someone noticed Calpurnia up in the rafters. She crawled along the ceiling, her stylized spider mask concealing her features. She swung from timber to timber, as the crowd watched below. Then, securing a grappling hook from the rope at her waist, she slowly descended, twisting gracefully (yet disturbingly) in the air. When she reached the floor, the crowd erupted, showering her with coins. She had stolen the show.

The sudden halt of the carriage snaps her out of her reverie. She looks around at the giant insects, and a thin smile crosses her lips. “Come into my parlor...”, she says.
 

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"We thank you for the conveyance, good sir," Orilen says to the driver as he steps from the carriage. "And for sharing your voice to help me pass these many miles. I'll not forget that new verse of 'The Wandering Dwarf,' but it's that lullaby 'The Rose Petal' that is the true treasure. "

His tone is light, but he's taking in the situation, pulling his scimitar free and making sure the little bell is wrapped around his left wrist, for keeping time.

"Now we start writing the first stanza of 'the Saviors of Stonehold.'"
 

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sarathiel hops down from the carriage, surprisingly light footed for someone made primarily of metal. Looking up at the swarming insects overhead, a part of her remembers that air is a solid as earth if you know the right way to walk. She readies her sacred hammers, and prepares to spring into action.
 

Shadow Hexagram

Drama frog
Validated User
<<What a rocky ride!>> Seavan tells himself, rolling up a small scroll describing legal issues about trade routes in this small corner of the Empire.

When the carriage stops, he thanks the driver, takes his bags end gear, and stares et the city walls, silent for a few minutes.

Saevan, who do you know on the city watch in Stonehold?

There's this half-elf, Launlidyr Aemoira, a sergeant when he met her a couple of years back. She had come to his city for an archery contest and had won the second prize (Saevan hadn't even dared shoot an arrow).
The way he remembers her: efficient, silent most of the time, and yelling angrily when she addressed anybody, especially after a few pints of ale.
 

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
OOC: Initiative. We're at Orlien & Fletcher & Calpurnia --> Some stirges --> Sarathiel --> Other stirges. Right now Civil Savage Civil Savage , brahnamin brahnamin , and Mitch Mitch can make their attacks. If you want to attack the stirges with a melee weapon, you're going to have to make some kind of stunt to get up to them.
 

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Orilen's quick action begins the Song of Heroes, so everyone gets a +1 attack bonus this round. For regular aciton, cast Soundburst, which will affect Number of targets: 1d4 4 enemies if they are in a group.

Don't know what their PD is, but Soundburst attacks: 4#1d20+4 16 17 7 9 I'm hoping will hit a couple. (And I stupidly forgot my own +1 from the song, so each result should be one higher.

Taking average damage, any hits = 20 damage plus dazed, misses take 10 damage.


Orilen's bright, clear tenor voice rings out in an uplifting tune about the heroes, naming each of them as they stand ready to defend Stonehold. At the end of the first stanza, he makes an odd gesture and there is a sudden rumble of thunder centered on a group of the stirges, a fitting accent to the stirring song!
 

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
Calpurnia slinks out of the carriage, her eyes on the skies. “Look what I have for you”, she says, turning a dagger in her hand. “Something shiny.”

She picks out one of the buzzing creatures, and throws her blade at it.

OOC: Preferably aiming at one Orilen already wounded.

Attack, Damage: 1d20+5 7 1d4+4 5
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
FLETCHER

Fletcher unlimbers his bow and sights on one of the stirges and lets fly.

OOC: Attack/Damage v Stirge: 1d20+4 9 1d6+4 5 Forgot to add level to attack so that would be 10 rather than 9. Sorry for the truncated narrative, just not sure if that hits or not . . . but 5 damage if it does
 
Top Bottom